Pages Navigation Menu

Last added Shtetls

Kadlubitsa

Posted by on 2-19-17

Chervonianskaya

Posted by on 2-14-17

Buky

Posted by on 2-8-17

Liantskorun

Posted by on 1-29-17

More From Shtetls

We are on Facebook

Most Recent Articles

Kadlubitsa

Posted by on Лют 19, 2017 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Kadlubitsa is a former Jewish colony, now it is a part of Fastov, Kiev region. Before Revolution it was a Jewish agricultural colony in Vasilkov district, Kiev province. Since 1925, it’s been Kadlubitsa Jewish National village council of Fastov district, Belaya-Tserkov region. Information for this article was collected with the help of Fastov local historian Vladimir Dorosenko. Beginning Kadlubitsa was founded in 1850 as an agricultural colony by Jews from Fastov. According to a local legend, the name ‘Kadlubitsa’ comes from the word ‘kadosh’ (Hebrew – sacred). There were 29 households, 434 residents (207 men and 227 women) in 1900. Their main occupation was grain production. Some local Jews were engaged in trade and reselling goods, visiting fairs at nearby villages and towns. Jewish population of Kadlubitsa: 1859 – 430 Jews 1896 – 826 Jews 1906 – 510 Jews 1931 – 515 Jews 1960’s ~ 50 Jews 2016 – 1 Jews In total, the colony had nearly 1,047 acres of arable land, which was owned by the local “colonists’ society”. In 1900, a synagogue was functioning in Kadlubitsa. In 1904, Mirim Nayshtut got the permission to build “the appliance for lard smelting at the Kadlubitsa colony”. No Jewish cemetery was allocated to the colonists, so the one in Fastov had to be used. Before 1917,...

Read More

Chervonianskaya

Posted by on Лют 14, 2017 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Chervonianskaya was a Jewish colony located nine kilometers from Fastov, in Kiev region. Now it was a village called Krasnoye, Fastov district. Before the Revolution it was a Jewish agricultural colony in Vasilkov uezd of Kiev gubernia. It was founded in 1851 on state land. In 1898, there were 44 Jewish families, 312 people. The residents had 378 dessiatines (1,040 acres) of land. The colony was destroyed during Denikin’s pogrom in 1919 but it was reestablished at the expense of AgroJoint (US funded) organization in the 1920’s. Several typical houses based on a American project were built here. During my visit in 2016 only one of those houses was preserved in its original appearance. I haven’t found any information about the Jews of Chervonianskaya colony after the 1920’s. In 2016, the locals didn’t even know that their village used to be a Jewish colony. Archive records This information was collected by Fastov historian Vladimir Dorosenko. This list of the Jewish families of Chervonianskaya colony by 1858 was find by Fastov local historian Vladinir Dorosenko in Kiev Archive: (First name, patronymic, last name; Amount of people living in) Usher Avrumovich Frangtsman (16),  Moyshe David Altman (21), Srul Bir Blinder (15),  Ios Alkunovich Slavinskiy (30), Srul Gershkovich Barash (31), Ios Borukhov Kagan (21), Ios Moshkovich Kagan (20), Moyshe Aron Talskiy, mother...

Read More

Zvenigorodka

Posted by on Лют 14, 2017 in Kiev region | 0 comments

Zvenigorodka is a city and district center in Cherkassy region. The city’s estimated population is 17,400 (as of 2016). It was first mentioned in historical record in 1545. According to another version it existed during the Kievan Rus period. In 1569 Zvenigorodka was in Kiev district, Kiev province in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. It was incorperated into  the Russian Empire in 1793. In the XIX – early XX centuries Zvenigorodka was a district town of Kiev gubernia. Beginning In 1765, there...

Read More

Buky

Posted by on Лют 8, 2017 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Buky is a small town in Mankovka district, Cherkassy region. The town’s estimated population is 2,134 (2007). Since 1793 it’s been a part of the Russian Empire. In the XIX – early XX centuries, it was a shtetl of Uman district, Kiev province. Beginning The first mention of Buky in historical record was in 1554. In the early 18th century a synagogue was built in Buky and two more ones in the late XIX. In the 1740’s, count Kiselev sold...

Read More

Liantskorun

Posted by on Січ 29, 2017 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Zarichanka (Liantskorun by 1947), is a village in Chemerovtsy district of the Khmelnitskiy region. The village is located on the river Zhvanchik and the tributary Letavka. In 1793 it was incoperated into the Russian Empire. By the late XIX – early XX century it was a shtetl in Kamenets district of Podolye province. In 1923-1928 it was a district center. According to the census of 2001 its population was 892 people. In 2000 a local resident Ruslan Kozak (born in 1979)...

Read More

Stepantsy

Posted by on Січ 26, 2017 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Stepantsy is a village located in Kaniv district of Cherkassy region. The villag’s estimated population is 2,770 (as of 2007). In XIX – beginning of XX century it was village of Kaniv uezd of Kiev gubernia. Beginning The first mention of Jews in Stepantsy dates back to 1765, when 12 people lived here. In 1845, Stepantsy was bought by Rogozinskiy for his daughter Antonina. She was married to Liudvik Klementyevich Khamets. By 1863, the local population consisted of 2,370...

Read More

Lysianka

Posted by on Січ 25, 2017 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Lysianka is district center in Cherkassy region, Ukraine. The city’s estimated population is 8,161 (as of 2001). In the XIX – early XX centuries, it was a shtetl in Zvenigorodka district of Kiev province. Beginning Jews appeared in Lysianka in XVII century. In 1702, The Haydamaky rebels killed almost all the Jews in Lysianka. The Jewish population of Lysianka suffered a lot in 1768 during the period “Koliyivshchyna”. Burials in the Jewish cemetery which date back to 1761 prove the existence...

Read More