Pages Navigation Menu

Smotrich

Posted by on Вер 18, 2016 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Smotrich is a historic town located in Dunaevtsy district of Khmelnitskiy region.  The town’s estimated population is 2,087 (as of 2001). During the time of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (1569–1795), Smotrich was a town in Podolsk voivodeship (it received the Magdeburg Charter in 1488). Smotrich became a part of Russia Empire in 1795 , in XIX – beginning of XX century it was a shtetl of Kamenets Yezd of Podolia Gubernia. Smotrich is approx. 32 km from Dunaevtsy and in 280 km from Kamenets-Podolskiy. Beginning By the beginning of 18th century there was a Jewish community in Smotrich. A large synagogue, noted for its beauty, was built there in the 18th century. Jewish population of Smotrich: 1765 – 375 Jews 1847 – 1,274 Jews 1897 — 1,725 (40%) 1939 – 1,075 (18.5%) 2016 ~ 3 In 1712, a Jewish community with...

Read More