Pages Navigation Menu

Konela

Posted by on Сер 15, 2015 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Koneła (Polish), Конела – Konela (Ukrainian, Russian) Konela is a village located in the Cherkassy region of central Ukraine and a part of Zhashkov district. The village’s estimated population is 601 (as of 2001). Konela is approx. 20 km from Zhashkov, 5 km from Sokolovka and 44 km from Uman. In XIX – beginning of XX century Konela was a shtetl of Lipovets Yezd of Kiev Gubernia A Jewish community existed in Konela from the beginning of the 19th century. Jewish population of Konela: 1847 – 445 Jews 1897 – 744 (36,2%) 1923 – 225 1930’s ~ 100 Jews 1995 – 1 1996 – 0 According to Pokhilevich (needs reference) in the mid-19th century, the population of Konela included 822 Orthodox Christians, 76 Roman Catholics, and 1,360 Jews. This contradicts with the data from the Russian Jewish Encyclopedia which states...

Read More

Zhashkov

Posted by on Чер 15, 2015 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 0 comments

זאשקאוו (Yiddish), Zaszkow (Polish), Жашків (Ukrainian), Жашков (Russian) Zhashkov is a historic city, founded in 1636 and located in the Cherkassy region of central Ukraine and the center of Zhashkov district. The city’s estimated population is 14,116 (as of 2014). Zhashkov is approx. 64 km from Uman, 160 km from Kiev and about 78 km from Talne. The town became a part of the Russian Empire in 1793 after the third Partition of Poland. Before the Revolution of 1917, it was a shtetl of the Tarasha uyezd,  Kiev Guberniya. Beginning The Jewish community of Zhashkiv was first mentioned in the state archives in the 17th century, with several Jewish innkeepers, distilleries and mill owners. In 1863, there were 556 Jews, 1,533 Orthodox Christians and 52 Roman Catholics. In 1897, the Jewish population of Zhashkiv grew to 2,445 residents (47,2%)....

Read More

Sudilkov

Posted by on Тра 6, 2015 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 2 comments

סודילקאוו (Hebrew), Судилків (Ukrainian), Судилков (Russian), Sudyłków (Polish) Much of information for this article was taken from Max Grossman’s personal website. Sudilkov is a village located in the Shepetovka district of Khmelnitski (former Kamenets-Podolski) region. The village’s population is estimated at 5,277 (as of 2007). Sudilkov is approx. 34 km from Polonne and in 280 km from Kiev. In the beginning of the XX century Sudilkov was located about 6 km from Shepetovka but is now a suburb of Shepetovka. The population of Sudilkov has not changed in the XX century due to the extermination of the Jewish population and natural growth within Ukrainian population. The town became a part of the Russia Empire in 1793 after the third Partition of Poland. Before the Revolution it was a shtetl of the Zaslav yezd, Volyn guberniya. Beginning Sudilkov was first mentioned in...

Read More

Shepetovka

Posted by on Бер 29, 2015 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 4 comments

Шепетівка (Ukrainian), Шепетовка – Shepetovka (Russian), שעפּעטיווקע (Yiddish), Szepetówka (Polish), Schepetowka (German),  another pronunciations – Shchepetovka, Schepetiwka, Szepietowka, Sepitivka, Shepetifke Shepetovka is a city located in the Khmelnitskiy region. It is located on the Rivers Guska and Kosetska. The city’s estimated population is 43 661 (as of 2010). Shepetovka is approx. 100 km from Khmelnitskiy and in 270 km from Kiev. The first mention of Shepetivka appears in Polish sources dating from 1594. It was given Magdeburg Rights at the end of the XVI century. We can assume that the first Jewish community of Shepetivka, was destroyed along with Polish population during The Khmelnitskiy Uprising of 1649. Following the Second Partition of Poland in 1793, the city became a part of the Russian Empire. Before the Revolution it was a shtetl of Izyaslav yezd, Volyn guberniya. Beginning We can...

Read More

Voroshilovka

Posted by on Лют 27, 2015 in Shtetls, Vinnytsia region | 0 comments

Varshilovka (Yiddish), Vorosilovka (Dutch), Woroszylowka (Polish), Ворошилівка (Ukrainian), Ворошиловка – Voroshilovka (Russian) Voroshilovka is a village located in Tivrov district of Vinnitsya region. It is located on the South Bug River. The village’s estimated population is 1247 (as of 2001). Voroshilovka is approx. 32 km from Vinnitsya and in 280 km from Kiev. Before the Revolution it was a shtetl of Tivrov volost, Vinnitsky yezd, Podol guberniya. This article was insipred by the writings of Michael Charnofsky who emigrated from Voroshilovka before World War I and wrote this charming book in 1960s.   The hard economic and political condition of this small Podolian Jewish shtetl in the beginning of XX century are described here very thoroughly. You can download it by this link. Beginning Jewish population of Voroshilovka: 1765 – 116 jews 1787 – 189 jews 1847 – 1847...

Read More

Oster

Posted by on Гру 25, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Oster (German), Ostor (Yiddish), Ostr (Polish), Остер (Ukrainian), Остер – Oster (Russian), Старогородка – Starogorodka (Old Name) Oster is a historic town located in Kozelets district of Chernihiv region in northern Ukraine. Kozelets is located on the Desna River. The city’s estimated population is 6335 (as of 2011). Oster became a part of the Russian Empire in 1667, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was center of Oster Yezd of Chernigov Gubernia. Jews have lived in Oster since the 18th century. In 1862, there was a wooden synagogue in Oster; in 1867 – two synagogues; in 1886 – four synagogues, of which two were of stone and two of wood. Jewish population of Oster: 1847 – 633 jews 1897 – 1596 (29%) 1910 – 1582 jews 1920 – 1523 jews 1926 – 1267 (18,5%) 1939 – 841 (13,3%) The...

Read More

Gorodnya

Posted by on Гру 10, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Horodna (Polish), Городня (Ukrainian), Городня – Gorodnia (Russian) Gorodnya is a historic town (since 1957) located in Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine, center of Gorodnya district. Gorodnya is located on the Chibrizh River. The city’s estimated population is 12,766 (as of 2011). Gorodnya became a part of Russia Empire in 1667, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was center of Gorodnya Yezd of Chernigov Gubernia. In 1764, more than 300 Jews lived in Horodnia, mostly artisans and merchants. A Jewish burial society existed in Horodnia in 1845. According archival documents a synagogue was erected in the city in 1863. Jewish population of Gorodnya: 1863 — 525 (15,6%) 1886 — 1587 Jews 1897 — 1249 (28,9%) 1920 — 1965 Jews 1926 — 1359 (27,2%) 1939 — 731 Jews 2014 ~ 10 Jews From 1878-1900 the spiritual Rabbi was...

Read More

Mena

Posted by on Лис 19, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Mena (Polish), Myena (German), Мена (Ukrainian), Мена – Mena (Russian) Mena is a historic town located in Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine, center of Mena district. The city’s estimated population is 12,900 (as of 2005). Mena became a part of Russia Empire in 1667, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was center of Mena Yezd of Chernigov Gubernia. Beginning Records from the early 19th century describe the general population in Mena at around 6,000 people. The Jewish population of this time is not mentioned but reference is made to the existence of a synagogue and another Jewish house of worship. According to the 1897 census, 6,277 people lived in Mena, more than a quarter of whom were Jews. The main activities of the Jewish population in the 19th and early 20th centuries were in trade and crafts. In 1902, the...

Read More

Repki

Posted by on Жов 30, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Репки – Repki (Russian), Ріпки (Ukrainian) Repki is a historic town located in the Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine and the center of Repki district. The city’s estimated population is 7,458 (as of 2011). Before the Revolution Repky was a mestechko of Gorodnta Uezd, Chernigov guberniya. Jewish population of Repki: 1897 – 3049 (91,3%) 1939 – 79 2014 – 1 In 1873, there was a synagogue in Ripky. According to the 1897 census, the total population stood at 3,336, including 3,049 Jews. The business directory of 1903 lists few names of Jewish entrepreneurs in Repky: Grocery stores: Aleksandrov Hatsk. Gersh., Glukhovskiy Israil Avram. Haberdashery: Zhezmer Mih. Zalm. In 1905, pogroms took place in the town following the Manifesto of October 18. The town Rabbi  in the beginning of XX century was Shneur-Zalman Schneerson (? – 1928). In 1912, a...

Read More

Korukovka

Posted by on Жов 29, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Most of information obtained for this article was presented by Oksana Tolkachova from the Korukovka historical museum. Korukovka is a historic city located in Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine, and is the center of Korukovka district. It was founded in 1657. Korukovka is located on the Brech River, a tributary of the Snov. The city’s estimated population is 14,805 (as of 2005). In XIX – beginning of XX century it belonged to Sosnitsya Yezd of Chernigov Gubernia. Judging by what we know of Jewish settlement in Sosnitsya Yezd, we can surmise that Jews first appeared in Korukovka at the beginning of XIX century. In 1887 the local sugar factory was bought by Lazar Brodskiy. Brodskiy was famous for his philanthropy. In 1896 he funded the construction of a school and from 1902-1904 a hospital as well as housing for...

Read More

Korop

Posted by on Жов 13, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Korop is a historic town located in the Chernihiv region in the north of Ukraine and is the center of the Korop district. Korop is located on the Desna River. The town’s estimated population is 5,600 (as of 2005). Korop became a part of the Russian Empire in 1667, and in 1796 it was a shtetl in Krolevets Yezd of Malorossia Gubernia and further Chernigov Gubernia. In 1862, there were 218 Jews living in Korop, reaching to over a thousand by 1920, although this figure dropped slightly in the subsequent decade with the Jewish population of 787 in 1926, accounting for some 12% of all Korop residents. Jewish population of Korop: 1865 – 255 1897 – 873 (13,9%) 1910 – 1102 1920 – 1014 1926 – 787 (12,1%) 1939 – 350 (5,6%). In the late 18th century, Korop was...

Read More

Sosnitsa

Posted by on Вер 30, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Sosnica (Polish), Sosnitza (Yiddish), Sosnyzja (German), Сосница – Sosnitsa (Russian), Сосниця (Ukrainian) Sosnitsa is a historic town located in the Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine and is the center of Sosnitsa district. Sosnitsa is located on the Ubid River, a tributary of the Desna. The city’s estimated population is 7,695 (as of 2014). Sosnitsa became a part of Russia Empire in 1667, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was the center of Sosnitsa Yezd of Chernigov Gubernia. In the 17th century, Sosnytsia,  one of the oldest cities in the Chernihiv region, became a district center. During Khmelnitsky’s uprising, a total expulsion of Jews from Sosnytsia took place. The Jews returned to this area in the early 19th century, when Chernihiv province was included into the Pale of Settlement. According to the census of 1847, the county had...

Read More

Schors

Posted by on Вер 17, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Schtschors (German), Snovsk (Formerly called), Snowska (Polish), Коржовка – Korzhovka (Formerly called), Щорс (Ukrainian), Щорс – Schors (Russian). Schors is a historic town located in the Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine and is the center of the Schors district. Schors is located on the Snovsk River, a tributary of the Desna. The town’s estimated population is 11,471 (as of 2013). Schors appeared after the building of the Libavo-Romen railway line in 1878. The location was convenient as the city was built around a major railyard. It was renamed to Snovsk in the end of XIX century. Snovsk get status of city in 1924. In 1935 the city was renamed to Schors in the honor of famous red army general of the Civil War, Nikolai Schors (1895 – 1919). Beginning Jews first appeared in the city at the end of...

Read More

Kozelets

Posted by on Вер 1, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Kozeletz, Mushkev (Yiddish), Kozielec (Hungarian), Myszkov (German), Nowy (Polish), Козелец – Kozelets (Russian), Козелець (Ukrainian) Kozelets is a historic town located in Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine, center of Kozelets district. Kozelets is located on the Oster River, a tributary of the Dnieper. The city’s estimated population is 8,305 (as of 2007). Kozelets became a part of Russia Empire in 1667, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was center of Kozelets Yezd of Chernigov Gubernia. Since 1932 it became a town of Chernigov region. In 1666, there were already several Jewish homes in Kozelet’s, of which four belonged to artisans and four were owned by merchants. By 1766, Jews accounted for about 8% of Kozelets’ residents (a total of 2,273 people). The census of 1847 mentioned only one ‘Kozelets’ Jewish community’, comprising 658 people but according to...

Read More

Died last Jew in Medzhibozh

Posted by on Сер 30, 2014 in news | 0 comments

The last Jew in Medzhibozh Vladimir Semenovich Dilman died on August 16, 2014. He was 97 years...

Read More

Borzna

Posted by on Сер 20, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Borzna is a historic town in northern Ukraine. It is the administrative center of the Borzna district in the Chernihiv region. The estimated population of the town is around 10,640 (as of 2011). Beginning The local Jewish community in Borzna was destroyed in 1648 and Jews did not resume living there until the mid-18th century. In 1736, there lived 3 Jewsih families. Thereafter, the local Jewish community grew rapidly, reaching its peak at the end of the 19th century. In 1881 a pogrom took place in Borzna In 1863, a synagogue operated in the town. The most common occupations among Jews were garment manufacturing and trade. Many Jews of Borzna were skilled tailors. In 1881 a pogrom took place in Borzna. In the 1890s, the rabbi in Borzna was Itshok-Dovid Vidrevich (1861 -?). In 1909, a society of assistance...

Read More

Weekly update

Posted by on Сер 16, 2014 in news | 0 comments

– added articles about Berezna  and Novgorod-Seversky – due to help of Anna Roizner  was created article about Izyaslav – added list of arrested Zionist activist in Priluki in the 1920’s – was added list of Priluki enterpreneurs from Russian Empire Business Directories by 1903 – amazing photos of shtetl’s building in Dunaevtsy were made by Pavel Zholtovskiy and Stefan Taranyshenko in the 1920′s-1930′s, you can see them here    ...

Read More

Berezna

Posted by on Сер 11, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Berezna is a town in Chernigov oblast, Ukraine. Population in 2011 was 4902 persons. Beginning There were no Jews in the town at the beginning of the 19th century. In 1847 the Jewish community of Berezna had 292 men and 252 women. In 1897, the population of the town numbered 9,922 of whom 1,357 were Jews. The Orthodox Christian population number 8,500. In Russian Empire Business Directories by 1903 mentioned next Jewish enterpreneurs: – Butovskiy Samuil Izrailev (grocery) – Zalmanzon Izrail Aronov (grocery) – Magilner Toiba Shlemovna (haberdashery) – Poritskiy Todres Leibov(grain) In the end of XIX century local Rabbi were David Arie Bakalieshchik and Shmuel Waltchek. Shneur-Zalman Gorelik (1880-1974) was Berezna Rabbi from 1901 till 1926. After this he became a rabbi in Snovsk. Jewish population of Berezna: 1847 – 544 jews 1897 – 1357 (13%) 1939 – 211 2014...

Read More

Izyaslav

Posted by on Сер 8, 2014 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Izyaslav (formerly  Zaslavl) city in Khmelnitski region (former Kamenets-Podolski), Ukraine. Situated on the Horyn river, the city dates back to the 11th century. It is one of the oldest cities in Volhynia. As of 2009, the population of Izyslav was 17,232. Beginning The first evidence about the Jewish community there dates back to the first half of the 16th  century. Most of the Jews fled to the neighbouring cities (Ostrog, Mezhirich and Dubno) during the Chmielnicki massacres of 1648. Among them was Nathan ben Moses Hannover who described these tragic events in his book “Yeven Mezulah” (Venice, 1653). Approximately 200 Jews who had remained in Izyaslav were killed on the Old Jewish cemetery and then set on fire. The synagogue was destroyed and converted into a stable. Jewish population of Izyaslav: 1765 — 2807 1857 — 6138 1897 —...

Read More

Novgorod-Seversky

Posted by on Сер 3, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Novgorod-Seversky, city in Chernigov district, Ukraine. During the 14th century, Novgorod-Seversky was conquered by the princes of Lithuania; in the 16th and 17th centuries it was alternately in the hands of the Poles and the Russians; and in 1667 it was definitively annexed by Russia. Beginning A Jewish settlement is mentioned for the first time in a residence permit granted to the townspeople by King Sigismund III Vasa (1587–1632) of Poland. According to the permit Jews were forbidden to sell meat in the town, except in the courtyard of the synagogue. Also included were several tax levies which Jews were ordered to pay. During the Chmielnicki persecutions of 1648 many Jews in Novgorod- Seversky were massacred by the Cossacks. The community was renewed only in the late 18th century. In 1847 1,336 Jews were registered in the community; by...

Read More

Weekly Update

Posted by on Лип 14, 2014 in news | 0 comments

During last few months I changed website design and added different usefull features for more confortable reading. There were added many youtube video from Yad Vashem and other sources which related to certain shtetles. As a result of 2 visits in Chernigov Archiv was find and added to site list of Priluki synagogues and list of pogrom...

Read More

Medzhibozh

Posted by on Чер 3, 2014 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Międzybóż (Polish),  Меджибіж (Ukrainian), Меджибож – Medzhibozh (Russian), מעזשביזש, Mezbizh (Yiddish) Medzibozh, a small town in the Khmelnitsky district (former Kamenets-Podolski district), Ukraine; until 1793 a part of Poland and then a part of the Russian Empire until 1917 it came under the jurisdiction of the province of Podolia.. Beginning Medzibozh Jewish community is one of the oldest in Ukraine, a Jewish community here is mentioned in the Polish sources dating back to 1509 when a Medzhibozh Jew called Liberman was appointed as a tax collection supervisor. Jewish gravestones from the first half of the 16th century in what is now called the Old Jewish Cemetery also indicate the presence of the Jews in Medzibozh in the medieval period. 1571 census recorded the population of Medzibozh as being made up of 95 Ruthenians, 35 Jews, and 30 Poles. At...

Read More

Kamenets-Podolski

Posted by on Тра 24, 2014 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 1 comment

Kamenets-Podolski, a town in the Khmelnitski district of Ukraine and a district capital until the 1950s. The area was under the Lithuanian control from the 14th century, and remained so after the unification of Poland and Lithuania in 1569, except for a short but formative period of the Ottoman rule between 1672 and 1699; the territory passed to Russia in 1795, and from then on until the Revolution of 1917 Kamenets-Podolski remained the capital of the province of Podolia. The roots of Kamenets-Podolski Jewish community For a long time the municipality of Kamenets-Podolski prevented any attempts of the local Jews to settle in this important trading and commerce center in the southeastern Poland-Lithuania. In 1447 any Jews were prohibited from staying here for more than three days. In 1598 King Sigismund III prohibited Jews from settling in the city...

Read More

Dunaevtsy

Posted by on Кві 12, 2014 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 11 comments

Dinovitz (Yiddish),  Дунаевцы – Dunaevtsy (Russian), Дунаївці (Ukrainian) Dunaevtsy is the capital city of Dunaevtsy Region, Khmelnytskyi Oblast, Ukraine. The city is located on the river Ternavka, 22 km from the Dunaevtsy railway station and 68 km from the town of Khmelnytsky. As of 2001, the population of Dunaevtsy was 16,448 (2001). Jewsh community of Dunaevtsy need help! At the World War II, the old Jewish cemetery in Dunaevtsy was damaged. The stones have been taken off from the graves and used for pavements and roads. Some of these stones were found during the reconstruction of the town and brought to the local Jewish community and then to the Jewish cemetery. They are there in the grass now. Jewish community of the town of Dunaevtsy, Khmelnitsky region appeals to those who are not indifferent to the memory of our...

Read More

Berdichev

Posted by on Кві 7, 2014 in Shtetls, Zhytomyr region | 4 comments

Barditchev (Yiddish), Berdicev (Romanian), Berditchev, Berditchov, Berditschew, Berdytschiw, Berdyczów (Polish), Бердичев – Berdichev (Russian), Бердичів (Ukrainian) Berdychiv is a historic city in the Zhytomyr Oblast. How it all began Jews were first mentioned in Berdichev in 1593. Towards the mid-eighteenth century, the city became one of the main Jewish centers of Ukraine, earning the esteemed title “Jerusalem of Volhynia.” From 1785, Berdichev was home to Rabbi Levi Yitzhak of Berdichev, a prominent Hassidic leader, as well as Rabbi Yitzhak Ber Levinzon, a famous advocate of Jewish Enlightenment. In 1797, prince Radziwill granted seven Jewish cloth merchants the monopoly of the cloth trade in Berdichev. In 1798, a Jewish printing press was established in the city, one of the greatest in Russia. The ideas of enlightenment (Haskalah) began to spread in Berdichev early in the 19th century, especially among the...

Read More

Romny

Posted by on Гру 1, 2013 in Sumy region | 1 comment

Rommy, Romen, Ромни (Ukrainian), Ромны – Romny (Russian) Romny is a city in the northern Ukrainian Oblast of Sumy. It is located on the Romen River and is the administrative center of the Romny Raion. The villages of Lutschky (438 inhabitants), Kolisnykove (43 inhabitants) and Hrabyne belong to the Romny city administration. Beginning The beginnings of a Jewish community date from the 18th century. In 1803 there were 127 Jews in the town, and in 1847 the Jews numbered 759. The community developed rapidly after the opening of the Romny-Libava railway line (1874), which became one of the important trade arteries of western Russia. In the XIX century, Romny rabbi was Chaim-Yehuda Leib Dinaburg and his son Shneur-Zalman. Реб Цви-Яаков Динабург, уроженец Нежина, умер 28 лет от роду, в 5622 (1862) году. Его дед, р. Хаим-Йехуда Лейб, был раввином в городе Ромны, Полтавской губернии, а после его смерти...

Read More

Bobrovytsia

Posted by on Лис 9, 2013 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Bobrovitza (Yiddish), Bobrowica (Polish), Bobrowyzja (German), Бобровица – Bobrovitsa (Russian), Бобровиця (Ukrainian). Bobrovytsia is a city (since 1958) in Chernihiv region of Ukraine. Population is 11,916 (2001). Before Revolution it was a town of Kozelec Uezd, Chernigov Gubernia. Beginning The earliest known Jewish community was first half of 19th century. Jewish prayer house was opened here in 1869 but I haven’t find information when it was closed and in what building was situated.  In 1875 there was registered only one Jewish marriage: Zelik Berkov Resnik and Beila-Enta Sruleva Altshuler. In Chernigov Archiv stored documents about Bobrovitsa rabbi’s electing in 1889. It gives interesting details about small Jewish community in the end of XIX century. In that year rabbi became Abraham Getselev Tseitlin, gabay – Mezhirov Berko Mihelev, treasurer – Eliyash Epshtein. In same document  mentioned next Bobrovitsya Jews: Shevel and Moses Volinskie,...

Read More

Bratslav

Posted by on Лис 9, 2013 in Vinnytsia region | 2 comments

Bracław (Polish), Bratzlav, Bratslaw, Brazlaw, Braclav, Broslev, בראָסלעוו (Yiddish), Браслав – Braslav (Formerly), Брацлав (Ukrainian), Брацлав – Bratslav (Russian) Bratslav is a townlet in Ukraine, located in the Nemyriv Raion of Vinnytsia Oblast, by the Southern Bug river. It is a medieval European city which dramatically lost its importance during the 19th-20th centuries. Beginning Bratslav was founded in 1362 by duke of Lithuania Algirdas. A Jew leased the collection of customs duties in Bratslav in 1506, and it appears that a Jewish settlement developed in the town from that time. In 1545 the Jews were exempted from the construction of roads “so that they could travel on their commercial affairs.” The Jews underwent much suffering during the attacks of the Tatars on the town during the 16th century (especially in 1551). At the beginning of the 17th century, commercial relations were...

Read More

Tzadikim graves in Ukraine

Posted by on Лис 3, 2013 in Articles | 0 comments

I have decide to create one page with the list of all Tzadikim graves in Ukraine because can find such information in one place in one language. Information will be published in blocks devided by regions. There is no information about Tzadikim graves in Western Ukraine because I haven’t collected information about that region. Kiev and Chernigov regions Chernobyl Rabbi Menachem Nochum Twerski of Chernobyl and 4 tzadiks of his dynasty (can assume that 3 of them are Menachem Nochum’s grandson Aharon (1787–1872) and two Aharon’s sons Yitzhak Meshullam Zusya (? – 1881)  and Baruh Asher (?-1905)). Rabbi Menachem Nochum Twerski (born 1730, Narynsk, Volhynia – died 1797, Chernobyl) –  founder of the Chernobyl Hasidic dynasty. Gornostaipol Rabbi Mordechai Dov (1839-1903), son of the sacred Rabbi Meshulam Zushe Yitzhak. The old cemetery was demolished in the late 1950s – early 1960s. Until the 1990s, the place...

Read More

Priluki bad news

Posted by on Жов 24, 2013 in news | 0 comments

Today died Lipin Pavel Grigorevich. For many years he was a Head of Priluki Jewish Community, conducted Jewish Holidays, oraganized sunday school for children and Yiddish classes for adults, organized Jewish cemetery cleaning, renovation of Holocaust mass grave in Pliskunovka Ravine and many many other things for Priluki Jewish community.   RIP  ...

Read More

Narodichi

Posted by on Вер 25, 2013 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Naroditch (Yiddish), Naroditschi (German), Narodychi (English), Narodyci, Bolshie Narodichi, Narodycze (Polish), Народичи – Narodichi (Russian), Народичі – Narodychi (Ukrainian) Narodichi has been classified as a city since 1958. It is a regional center in the Zhytomyr region of Ukraine. It is known from the XV century. In the XVI-XVIII centuries it was a shtetl in the Ovruch povit of Kyiv province within the Commonwealth, which became a part of the Russian Empire in 1793. In the XIX to early XX century it was in the Ovruch district of Volyn province. In the 1930‘s it was the center of the Jewish national district. Beginning The first mention of a Jewish community in Narodichi was in 1683.  In 1875 the chief rabbi of Narodichi was Elia-Leib Juravel (1847 – ? ). The main occupations of the Jewish population in XIX – early...

Read More

Jewish house in museum

Posted by on Вер 16, 2013 in news | 0 comments

During my last trip to Uzhgorod I visited local Museum of Folk Architecture near custle. Among different wooden buildings and household constructions of XIX century stand one pisant house with David stars on the roof. I haven’t recognize them unless museum caretaker point to them and said that it is “Jewish House” and belong to jewish shoemaker. On the small building’s description table I find that it was build at 1869 in village Rakoshine near Mukachevo and was bought during museum creation from peasant Kotsiban at 1969. On the door jamb were find lightly recognizable mark of destroyed mezuzah… It is obviously that last house owner was a Ukrainian and many unanswered questions appear in that moment. What happened with last Jewish inhabitans of this house? Are they still laying in unknown grave near their native village or turned...

Read More

Radomyshl

Posted by on Вер 1, 2013 in Shtetls, Zhytomyr region | 1 comment

Radomishel (Yiddish), Radomishl, Radomyszl, Radomyschl (German), Radomyshl’ (Ukrainian), Radomysl’ (Russian), Radomyśl (Polish) Radomyshl is a historic city in the Zhytomyr Oblast (province) of northern Ukraine. It is the administrative center of the Radomyshl Raion (district), and is located on the left bank of Teteriv River, a right tributary of Dnieper River. In 1897 Radomyshl was a city with large Jewish community – 7502 persons (69% of total population) which is one of the biggest in Kiev Gubernia after Berdichev (41617 Jews), Kiev (31801 Jews), Uman (17943 Jews), Belaya Tserkov (18720 Jews), Cherkassy (10950 Jews) and Skvira (8908). Jewish places in Radomyshl: Beginning Jews have lived in Radomyshl since XVI century. During the Khmelnytsky upraising was plunder and Jewish population exterminated. After this Jews began to settle in Radomyshl only in first part of XVIII century. In 1750 Haidamak’s squad ransacked house of Jewish tenant. In 1754 Radomyshl was plunder again – Jewish shops...

Read More

Skvira

Posted by on Сер 20, 2013 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 7 comments

Skver, Skvir, Skwere (Yiddish Transliteration), Skwira (Polish), Сквира – Skvira (Russian), Сквира – Skvyra (Ukrainian), סקווירא (Yiddish) Skvyra is a town in the Kiev Oblast (province) of central Ukraine.  It is the administrative center of the Skvyrskyi Raion (district), and is currently a regional municipality. First Jewish inhabitants Jewish population of Skvyra: 1775 – 116 Jews 1847 – 2,184 Jews 1897 – 8,910 (49.5%) 1926 – 4,681 (33.6%) 1939 – 2,243 Jews 1950 ~ 1,000 Jews 1960 ~ 500 Jews 2009 ~ 120 Jews The ancient town of Skvyra was completely destroyed at the end of the 16th century. In 1736, Skvyra was mentioned as a village (selo) leased to a Jewish tenant. According to the census of 1765, there were 124 houses in Skvyra, 51 of which belonged to Jews. In 1775, 116 Jews lived in Skvyra, in 1784...

Read More

Boguslav

Posted by on Лип 30, 2013 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Bohsla (Yiddish), Boslw (German), Богуслав – Boguslav (Russian,Ukrainian) Boguslav is a city (since 1938), district center in the Kiev region. Since 1360 – in the Great Kingdom of Lithuania; since 1569 – city of Kiev povet and province in the Commonwealth. Beginning The first known instance of Jewish settlement in Bohuslav dates from the late 16th/early 17th century.Jewish population of Boguslav: 1765 – 574 jews 1847 — 5294 jews 1897 — 7445 (65,5%) 1910 — 14 236 (72%) 1926 — 6432 (53%) 1939 — 2230 jews 1989 — 179 jews 2004 – 50 jews The Jewish population of Bohuslav suffered during the Khmelnitsky pogroms in 1648, from the Cossack raids of 1702, and from the Haidamak pogroms in 1768. In 1765 in Bohuslav lived 574 Jews, in 1784 – 622 Jews. In 1789, the local population made a failed...

Read More

Mlinov

Posted by on Лип 28, 2013 in Rivne region | 0 comments

Mlinov (Yiddish), Mlinuv (German), Młynów, Mlinuze (Polish), Mlynure, Млинів – Mlyniv (Ukrainian), Млинов – Mlinov (Russian) Mlinov is a small town (since 1959), the regional center in Rivne region. It was founded in the XVI century; in the XVI-XVIII centuries – Volyn province of the Commonwealth. Since 1795 – the part of the Russian Empire. In the XIX – early XX century – shtetl in Dubno district of Volyn province. In 1919-1939 – Volyn province of Poland, in 1939-1991 – part of the USSR. Beginning I haven’t find information about first Jews in Mlinov. In 1867 there was a synagogue. The main occupation of the Jewish population in the XIX – early XX century – trade and craft. Jewish population of Mlinov: 1847 – 209 jews 1897 – 672 (60,8%) 1921 – 615 (49%) 1931 ~ 900 jews 1941...

Read More

Pogroms book

Posted by on Лип 27, 2013 in news | 0 comments

I have get this book more than one year ago – “Jewish Pogroms of 1918–1921” by Ostrovsky, Z. – Moscow, 1926.  Today I cut 99 photos from it – Jewish victims, corps, self-defence units,  funerals… Many small snapshots of Great tragedy called Jewish Pogroms during Russian Civil War… This photos will be published in correspondence shtetl articles.        ...

Read More

Mezhyrichi

Posted by on Лип 12, 2013 in Rivne region | 0 comments

Main part of article was taken from here – translation , author Benyamin Lukin Великие Межиричи – Velikie Mezhirichi (Russian), Великі Межирічі (Ukrainian) Village on the Stava River (Pripiat’ basin) in Ukraine’s Rivne (Rovno) region. Mezhyrichi, known as Mezhirech in Russian and Międzyrzecz in Polish, was called Mezhirich Gadol by Jews; currently known as Velikie Mezhyrichi (Great Mezhyrichi), it has also been referred to as Mezhyrichi Koretskie. From 1569 it was in the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth, and from 1793 in the Korets district of the Russian Empire’s Volhynia province. Between 1921 and 1939 the town belonged to independent Poland. Beginning Noblemen owned the town until 1831. The first references to Jews date back to 1569 and 1577. At the beginning of the seventeenth century, a local Jew leased the principal revenues of the town. The Jewish community suffered from Cossack attacks in 1648–1649, and in 1652 a tax was...

Read More

Baranovka

Posted by on Лип 7, 2013 in Zhytomyr region | 0 comments

Baranovka (Russian), Baranówka (Polish), Баранівка (Ukrainian), Барановка – Baranovka (Russian) Baranovka, a city (since 2001), the district center in Zhytomyr region. This settlement was known from 1565. In the XVI-XVIII centuries it was Volyn province town in the Commonwealth. Since 1793 Baranovka became a part of Russia Empire. In the XIX – early XX century – a shtetl in Novograd-Volynskiy district in Volyn guberniya. Beginning In 1802 on the left bank of the Sluch river, near Baranovka, was found kaolin deposit. French entrepreneur Moser bought land and established a porcelain factory here. Till the beginning of WWII many Jews worked on this factory. Jewish population of Baranovka: 1847 – 893 jews 1897 – 1990 (95%) 1923 – 1100 jews 1926 – 1602 (29.9%) 1939 – 1447 (23%) 1989 – 44 jews 1998 – 3 jewish families 2014 – 13...

Read More

Pilyava

Posted by on Лип 3, 2013 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 1 comment

Pilyava is a village located in Starosinyavskiy district, Khmelnitskiy region of Ukraine. Kozelets is located on the Ikva River, a tributary of the Southern Bug. The villag’s estimated population is 672 (as of 2001). Pilyava became a part of Russia Empire in 1793, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was shtetl of Litin Yezd of Podolskaya Gubernia.  Known since 1501. In the XVI-XVIII centuries Pilyava was a part of Commonwealth, since 1793 – in the Russian Empire. In the XIX – early XX it was a shtetl of Litin County town in Podolsk province. Population according to 2001 census –  672 persons. Near the village take place great Battle of Pyliavtsi (September 23, 1648) was the third significant battle of the Khmelnytsky Uprising. Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth forces met a numerically superior force of Cossacks and Crimean Tatars under the command of Bohdan Khmelnytsky...

Read More

Bobrovytsia Jewish Cemetery

Posted by on Чер 21, 2013 in news | 0 comments

  During my last visit in Bobrovytsia I make this photo. It is not a simple field of local farm, it  is former Jewish Cemetery which was destroyed in 1980’s… 36 pogrom victims are still lying there in 6 graves since cold winter of 1921 and nothing remind here about this…    ...

Read More

Dzhurin

Posted by on Чер 9, 2013 in Vinnytsia region | 0 comments

Most information was taken from this book. Djurin (Polish, Yiddish & Hebrew), Джурин (Ukrainian), Джурин – Dzhurin (Russian) Dzhurin (old names Churylov, Churintsy, Dzhurilov) – village in Shargorod region, Vinnytsia oblast, before 1923 it was a shtetl of Yampol yezd, Podolsk province. The population is 3734 people (in 2001). Beginning Churylov settlement was first mentioned in documents in the XV century. Same settlement mentioned in royal charter of 1547. Apparently in those days it was protected by a fortified castle. In the XVIII century Dzhurin  belonged to Potocki magnates. In 1767 Dzhurin get urban rights and privileges to conduct monthly fair. In 1765 there were 35 Jewish houses, where lived 84 people, all were assigned to the community of Murafa. According to the 1775 census in in the town were Jews: 65 men, 69 women, 14 boys, 10 girls...

Read More

Dubova

Posted by on Чер 2, 2013 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 3 comments

Dubowa (Polish), Дубова, Dubova (Russian), דבובה (Yiddish) or Dubove(before Revolution) Dubova is a village in Uman district of Cherkassy district. Population is 589 persons according to 2001 census. Before Revolution it was a shtetl of Kiev Guberniya. The emblem of Dubova depicts a cross, oak and a Star of David in memory of the once numerous Jewish population. Beginning Jews lived in Dubova from the 16th century. Jewish population of Dubova: 1863 – 770 (27%) 1897 – 1104 jews 1917 – 1115 jews In 1863, the population consisted of 2,783 people, among whom were 2,555 Orthodox Christians and 770 Jews, as well as six Free Churchmen. By the 1897 census, the Jewish community had increased to 1,104 people. There was a Jewish savings and loan association in town and two synagogues operated. The centre of the Chernobyl Hasidic branch was...

Read More

Husiatyn

Posted by on Тра 28, 2013 in Shtetls, Ternopil region | 1 comment

Gusiatyn, Gusatin, Usiatyn, Gusyatin (Russian), Husiatin (Yiddish), Husiatyń (Polish), Гусятин – Gusiatin (Russian), Гусятин – Husiatyn (Ukrainian). Most information was taked from Jewishgen website. Husiatyn is a town in the Ternopil Oblast of Western Ukraine. Husiatyn is the administrative center of the Husiatyn Raion (district), and is located on the west bank of the Zbruch River. This river formed the old boundary between Austria-Hungary and the Russian Empire (1792-1918) and between Poland and the Soviet Union during the inter-war period of the twentieth century. Beginning The history of the Jewish community in Gusyatin spans more than 500 years from its early origins as a farm in the sixteenth century. The community reached its peak in the late 1800s, when Gusyatin was both a thriving commercial center and one of the most important Hassidic centers in Galicia. Sadly, the golden...

Read More

Priluki ghetto

Posted by on Тра 20, 2013 in news | 0 comments

Today is a 71-anniversary of Priluki ghetto elimination. In Pliskunovka ravine were killed 1290 Jews who survived during terrible winter 1941/1942. There  was women, children and aged people. Mans who can resist were taked from ghetto and killed at unknown place in months before and their graves still unknown… Due to efforts of the local Jewish Community a new monument was erected honoring the Jewish victims. As late as 2005 the plaque written in neutral terms commemorated only the “Soviet citizens”. In his memoir Priluki holocaust survivor Vladimir Entin, mentions an extraordinary case atypical to the nature of the Holocaust in Ukrainian. According to Entin during the Pliskunovka massacre a few young Ukrainian auxiliary policeman refused orders to shoot and kill Jews. The defiant Policemen were disarmed by the Germans, given shovels and ordered to dig their own graves. The soviet...

Read More