Pages Navigation Menu

Korsun

Posted by on Жов 13, 2016 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Korsun’ (Russian), Korsuń Szewczenkowski (Polish), Korsun-Schewtschenkiwskyj (German), Korsun’-Shevchenkovskiy – Корсунь-Шевченковский (Russian), Корсунь-Шевченківський (Ukrainian) Korsun-Shevchenkovskiy (Korsun until 1944) is a town since 1938, a district center in Cherkassy region. It was founded by the Grand Prince of Kiev Yaroslav the Wise in 1032. In 1584, Korsun received the Magdeburg Charter. In the XVI-XVIII centuries it was a part of Kiev Voivodship in Rzeczpospolita (Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (1569–1795). In 1793 Korsun became part of the Russian Empire. In the XIX – early XX century Korsun was a shtetl in the Kanev Yesd, Kiev province. There were two more towns with large Jewish communities in the Korsun area – Shenderovka and Steblev If you would like to help Korsun Jewish community or Jewish museum please contact Klavdiya Kolesnikova kik-korsun@rambler.ru Beginning The Jews would settle in Korsun in the beginning of the XVII century....

Read More

Justingrad

Posted by on Вер 28, 2015 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Most information about Justingrad was taken from book “Sokolievka/Justingrad: A Century of Struggle and Suffering in a Ukrainian Shtetl”, New York 1983. You can download a text version from Jewishgen or pfd version from my Google Docs. Another book is “Descendants of Candle Maker Kaprove”, Philadelphia, Dorrance 1969 סוקוליבקה ,יוסטינגרד (Yiddish), Justingrad (Formerly called), Justynhrad, Yustingrod (Polish), Загайполь(Russian), Zagaipol, Sokolivka, Юстiнград (Ukrainian) Justingrad is a Jewish shtetl which was completely destroyed in the XX century. Now it is a part of a small Sokolivka village in the Zhashkiv district, Cherkassy region. Current population of Sokolivka is less than 1290 people. Justingrad was approx. 28 km from Zhashkov and in 42 km from Uman. Justingrad was founded in 1825, in the XIX – beginning of the XX century as a shtetl of Lipovets Uyezd of Kiev Gubernia. Sokolivka is a village on the opposite side of the river and...

Read More

Konela

Posted by on Сер 15, 2015 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Koneła (Polish), Конела – Konela (Ukrainian, Russian) Konela is a village located in the Cherkassy region of central Ukraine and a part of Zhashkov district. The village’s estimated population is 601 (as of 2001). Konela is approx. 20 km from Zhashkov, 5 km from Sokolovka and 44 km from Uman. In XIX – beginning of XX century Konela was a shtetl of Lipovets Yezd of Kiev Gubernia A Jewish community existed in Konela from the beginning of the 19th century. Jewish population of Konela: 1847 – 445 Jews 1897 – 744 (36,2%) 1923 – 225 1930’s ~ 100 Jews 1995 – 1 1996 – 0 According to Pokhilevich (needs reference) in the mid-19th century, the population of Konela included 822 Orthodox Christians, 76 Roman Catholics, and 1,360 Jews. This contradicts with the data from the Russian Jewish Encyclopedia which states...

Read More

Zhashkov

Posted by on Чер 15, 2015 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 0 comments

זאשקאוו (Yiddish), Zaszkow (Polish), Жашків (Ukrainian), Жашков (Russian) Zhashkov is a historic city, founded in 1636 and located in the Cherkassy region of central Ukraine and the center of Zhashkov district. The city’s estimated population is 14,116 (as of 2014). Zhashkov is approx. 64 km from Uman, 160 km from Kiev and about 78 km from Talne. The town became a part of the Russian Empire in 1793 after the third Partition of Poland. Before the Revolution of 1917, it was a shtetl of the Tarasha uyezd,  Kiev Guberniya. Beginning The Jewish community of Zhashkiv was first mentioned in the state archives in the 17th century, with several Jewish innkeepers, distilleries and mill owners. In 1863, there were 556 Jews, 1,533 Orthodox Christians and 52 Roman Catholics. In 1897, the Jewish population of Zhashkiv grew to 2,445 residents (47,2%)....

Read More

Dubova

Posted by on Чер 2, 2013 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 3 comments

Dubowa (Polish), Дубова, Dubova (Russian), דבובה (Yiddish) or Dubove(before Revolution) Dubova is a village in Uman district of Cherkassy district. Population is 589 persons according to 2001 census. Before Revolution it was a shtetl of Kiev Guberniya. The emblem of Dubova depicts a cross, oak and a Star of David in memory of the once numerous Jewish population. Beginning Jews lived in Dubova from the 16th century. Jewish population of Dubova: 1863 – 770 (27%) 1897 – 1104 jews 1917 – 1115 jews In 1863, the population consisted of 2,783 people, among whom were 2,555 Orthodox Christians and 770 Jews, as well as six Free Churchmen. By the 1897 census, the Jewish community had increased to 1,104 people. There was a Jewish savings and loan association in town and two synagogues operated. The centre of the Chernobyl Hasidic branch was...

Read More

Talne

Posted by on Лип 27, 2012 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 45 comments

Talna, Tolne, טאלנא (Yiddish),  Talne – Тальне – Tal’ne (Ukrainian), Talnoe – Тальное (Russian) Talne is a city in Cherkasy Oblast (province) of Ukraine. Beginning The Jews of Talne were mentioned for the first time in connection with Cossack pogroms when the local Jewish community was destroyed in 1768. In 1848, according to the census, the Jewish community of Talne consisted of 1,807 people, while in 1897, the Jewish population increased to 5,452 people (57%). In 1854, Rabbi David Tversky (1808—1882) arrived in the town, and the place became a centre for Hasidim. In 1910, a Talmud Torah existed in Talne, as well as a private Jewish college for men, a synagogue and four other prayer houses. The Talmud Torah was opened in 1889, and 59 people studied there at the expense of the community. In 1912 – the...

Read More

Uman

Posted by on Чер 13, 2012 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 2 comments

Human (Hungarian), Humań (Polish), Imen, Human (Yiddish Transliteration), Умань (Ukrainian), Умань – Uman’ (Russian), אמואן (Yiddish) Uman is a city in Cherkassy region. How It Started A Jewish community appeared in Uman in the early 18th century. The first mention of Jews in Uman relates to the events of Haydamaks’ uprising. In 1749 the Haidamacks massacred many Jews of Uman and burned part of the town. In 1761, the owner of Uman, Earl Pototsky, rebuilt the city and established a market, at which time around 450 Jews were living in the city. During this time, Uman began to flourish both as a Jewish town and a trade centre. In 1768 Haidamacks annihilated the Jews of Uman, together with the Jews from other places who had sought refuge there. On June 19, 1788, the peasant revolutionary, Maxim Zheleznyak, marched on...

Read More

Cherkassy

Posted by on Чер 8, 2012 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 1 comment

 Cherkasy (Ukrainian: Черкаси, transliterated: Čerkasy, pronounced [tʃerˈkɑsɪ]) or Cherkassy (Russian: Черкасcы), is a city in central Ukraine. It is the capital of the Cherkasy Oblast. There have been Jews in Cherkassy for almost 500 years. Jews settled in the city in the 16th century. However it is known that Jews were in the city previously, from 1487-8, and from 1500. In 1581, Jewish wine merchants were beaten and robbed by Cossacks. In the days of the Decrees of 1647-8 – the Chmelnitsky massacres, Jews fled from the city. The massacres began in June 1648. As the Cossack leader approached the city, in 1664, the local population murdered the Jews and the Poles. After this, no Jews lived in the city until the end of the 17th century. The Jewish community re-appeared in the city at the beginning of the 18th century but suffered greatly from Haidamak attacks. Zhelezniak’s forces captured the...

Read More

Kanev

Posted by on Чер 8, 2012 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Kaniow (Polish), Канiв – Kaniv (Ukrainian), Канев – Kanev (Russian) KANIV, port on the Dnieper River in Сherkassy district, Ukraine. Beginning Jewish settlement began in the end of the 17th century or the beginning of the 18th. From 98 (including the surrounding villages) in 1765, the Jewish population grew to 1,635 in 1847 and 2,682 (30% of the total population) in 1897. In 1910, the town had a synagogue, two prayer houses, two male and one female government-sponsored schools. Before WWI most of the petty trade in town was in Jewish hands, all groceries and textile shops as well as others. In 1913 Vulf Moishevich Shteinvortsel was official Rabi. Kaniv entrepreneurs in 1913 (90% were Jews): Civil War pogroms The Jews of On November 6, 1917, local hoodlums ransacked many Jewish properties; this happened again in the beginning of...

Read More

Chyhyryn

Posted by on Чер 8, 2012 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Chyhyryn or Chigirin is a city and important historic site located in Cherkasy Oblast of central Ukraine. From 1648 to 1669 the city was a Hetman capital of Cossack Hetmanate and a traditional place for the appointment to the office of Hetman of Zaporizhian Host. The Chronicles of Nathan Hannover mention that during the middle of the 17th century, the tenant in Chyhyryn was a Jew named Zacharia Sobilenko. According to one hypothesis, the Jewish tavern was more successful than the tavern of Captain Bohdan Khmelnitsky and this became the cause of his hatred toward Jews and the brutal massacres of Jewish communities. During Khmelnitsky’s uprising, the town became the Hetman’s residence and there was no Jewish population in the area. In the late 17th century, with the restoration of the Polish authorities, a small Jewish community emerged in...

Read More