Pages Navigation Menu

Oster

Posted by on Гру 25, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Oster (German), Ostor (Yiddish), Ostr (Polish), Остер (Ukrainian), Остер – Oster (Russian), Старогородка – Starogorodka (Old Name) Oster is a historic town located in Kozelets district of Chernihiv region in northern Ukraine. Kozelets is located on the Desna River. The city’s estimated population is 6335 (as of 2011). Oster became a part of the Russian Empire in 1667, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was center of Oster Yezd of Chernigov Gubernia. Jews have lived in Oster since the 18th century. In 1862, there was a wooden synagogue in Oster; in 1867 – two synagogues; in 1886 – four synagogues, of which two were of stone and two of wood. Jewish population of Oster: 1847 – 633 jews 1897 – 1596 (29%) 1910 – 1582 jews 1920 – 1523 jews 1926 – 1267 (18,5%) 1939 – 841 (13,3%) The...

Read More

Gorodnya

Posted by on Гру 10, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Horodna (Polish), Городня (Ukrainian), Городня – Gorodnia (Russian) Gorodnya is a historic town (since 1957) located in Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine, center of Gorodnya district. Gorodnya is located on the Chibrizh River. The city’s estimated population is 12,766 (as of 2011). Gorodnya became a part of Russia Empire in 1667, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was center of Gorodnya Yezd of Chernigov Gubernia. In 1764, more than 300 Jews lived in Horodnia, mostly artisans and merchants. A Jewish burial society existed in Horodnia in 1845. According archival documents a synagogue was erected in the city in 1863. Jewish population of Gorodnya: 1863 — 525 (15,6%) 1886 — 1587 Jews 1897 — 1249 (28,9%) 1920 — 1965 Jews 1926 — 1359 (27,2%) 1939 — 731 Jews 2014 ~ 10 Jews From 1878-1900 the spiritual Rabbi was...

Read More

Mena

Posted by on Лис 19, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Mena (Polish), Myena (German), Мена (Ukrainian), Мена – Mena (Russian) Mena is a historic town located in Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine, center of Mena district. The city’s estimated population is 12,900 (as of 2005). Mena became a part of Russia Empire in 1667, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was center of Mena Yezd of Chernigov Gubernia. Beginning Records from the early 19th century describe the general population in Mena at around 6,000 people. The Jewish population of this time is not mentioned but reference is made to the existence of a synagogue and another Jewish house of worship. According to the 1897 census, 6,277 people lived in Mena, more than a quarter of whom were Jews. The main activities of the Jewish population in the 19th and early 20th centuries were in trade and crafts. In 1902, the...

Read More

Repki

Posted by on Жов 30, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Репки – Repki (Russian), Ріпки (Ukrainian) Repki is a historic town located in the Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine and the center of Repki district. The city’s estimated population is 7,458 (as of 2011). Before the Revolution Repky was a mestechko of Gorodnta Uezd, Chernigov guberniya. Jewish population of Repki: 1897 – 3049 (91,3%) 1939 – 79 2014 – 1 In 1873, there was a synagogue in Ripky. According to the 1897 census, the total population stood at 3,336, including 3,049 Jews. The business directory of 1903 lists few names of Jewish entrepreneurs in Repky: Grocery stores: Aleksandrov Hatsk. Gersh., Glukhovskiy Israil Avram. Haberdashery: Zhezmer Mih. Zalm. In 1905, pogroms took place in the town following the Manifesto of October 18. The town Rabbi  in the beginning of XX century was Shneur-Zalman Schneerson (? – 1928). In 1912, a...

Read More

Korukovka

Posted by on Жов 29, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Most of information obtained for this article was presented by Oksana Tolkachova from the Korukovka historical museum. Korukovka is a historic city located in Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine, and is the center of Korukovka district. It was founded in 1657. Korukovka is located on the Brech River, a tributary of the Snov. The city’s estimated population is 14,805 (as of 2005). In XIX – beginning of XX century it belonged to Sosnitsya Yezd of Chernigov Gubernia. Judging by what we know of Jewish settlement in Sosnitsya Yezd, we can surmise that Jews first appeared in Korukovka at the beginning of XIX century. In 1887 the local sugar factory was bought by Lazar Brodskiy. Brodskiy was famous for his philanthropy. In 1896 he funded the construction of a school and from 1902-1904 a hospital as well as housing for...

Read More

Korop

Posted by on Жов 13, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Korop is a historic town located in the Chernihiv region in the north of Ukraine and is the center of the Korop district. Korop is located on the Desna River. The town’s estimated population is 5,600 (as of 2005). Korop became a part of the Russian Empire in 1667, and in 1796 it was a shtetl in Krolevets Yezd of Malorossia Gubernia and further Chernigov Gubernia. In 1862, there were 218 Jews living in Korop, reaching to over a thousand by 1920, although this figure dropped slightly in the subsequent decade with the Jewish population of 787 in 1926, accounting for some 12% of all Korop residents. Jewish population of Korop: 1865 – 255 1897 – 873 (13,9%) 1910 – 1102 1920 – 1014 1926 – 787 (12,1%) 1939 – 350 (5,6%). In the late 18th century, Korop was...

Read More

Sosnitsa

Posted by on Вер 30, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Sosnica (Polish), Sosnitza (Yiddish), Sosnyzja (German), Сосница – Sosnitsa (Russian), Сосниця (Ukrainian) Sosnitsa is a historic town located in the Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine and is the center of Sosnitsa district. Sosnitsa is located on the Ubid River, a tributary of the Desna. The city’s estimated population is 7,695 (as of 2014). Sosnitsa became a part of Russia Empire in 1667, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was the center of Sosnitsa Yezd of Chernigov Gubernia. In the 17th century, Sosnytsia,  one of the oldest cities in the Chernihiv region, became a district center. During Khmelnitsky’s uprising, a total expulsion of Jews from Sosnytsia took place. The Jews returned to this area in the early 19th century, when Chernihiv province was included into the Pale of Settlement. According to the census of 1847, the county had...

Read More

Schors

Posted by on Вер 17, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Schtschors (German), Snovsk (Formerly called), Snowska (Polish), Коржовка – Korzhovka (Formerly called), Щорс (Ukrainian), Щорс – Schors (Russian). Schors is a historic town located in the Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine and is the center of the Schors district. Schors is located on the Snovsk River, a tributary of the Desna. The town’s estimated population is 11,471 (as of 2013). Schors appeared after the building of the Libavo-Romen railway line in 1878. The location was convenient as the city was built around a major railyard. It was renamed to Snovsk in the end of XIX century. Snovsk get status of city in 1924. In 1935 the city was renamed to Schors in the honor of famous red army general of the Civil War, Nikolai Schors (1895 – 1919). Beginning Jews first appeared in the city at the end of...

Read More

Kozelets

Posted by on Вер 1, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Kozeletz, Mushkev (Yiddish), Kozielec (Hungarian), Myszkov (German), Nowy (Polish), Козелец – Kozelets (Russian), Козелець (Ukrainian) Kozelets is a historic town located in Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine, center of Kozelets district. Kozelets is located on the Oster River, a tributary of the Dnieper. The city’s estimated population is 8,305 (as of 2007). Kozelets became a part of Russia Empire in 1667, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was center of Kozelets Yezd of Chernigov Gubernia. Since 1932 it became a town of Chernigov region. In 1666, there were already several Jewish homes in Kozelet’s, of which four belonged to artisans and four were owned by merchants. By 1766, Jews accounted for about 8% of Kozelets’ residents (a total of 2,273 people). The census of 1847 mentioned only one ‘Kozelets’ Jewish community’, comprising 658 people but according to...

Read More

Borzna

Posted by on Сер 20, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Borzna is a historic town in northern Ukraine. It is the administrative center of the Borzna district in the Chernihiv region. The estimated population of the town is around 10,640 (as of 2011). Beginning The local Jewish community in Borzna was destroyed in 1648 and Jews did not resume living there until the mid-18th century. In 1736, there lived 3 Jewsih families. Thereafter, the local Jewish community grew rapidly, reaching its peak at the end of the 19th century. In 1881 a pogrom took place in Borzna In 1863, a synagogue operated in the town. The most common occupations among Jews were garment manufacturing and trade. Many Jews of Borzna were skilled tailors. In 1881 a pogrom took place in Borzna. In the 1890s, the rabbi in Borzna was Itshok-Dovid Vidrevich (1861 -?). In 1909, a society of assistance...

Read More

Berezna

Posted by on Сер 11, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Berezna is a town in Chernigov oblast, Ukraine. Population in 2011 was 4902 persons. Beginning There were no Jews in the town at the beginning of the 19th century. In 1847 the Jewish community of Berezna had 292 men and 252 women. In 1897, the population of the town numbered 9,922 of whom 1,357 were Jews. The Orthodox Christian population number 8,500. In Russian Empire Business Directories by 1903 mentioned next Jewish enterpreneurs: – Butovskiy Samuil Izrailev (grocery) – Zalmanzon Izrail Aronov (grocery) – Magilner Toiba Shlemovna (haberdashery) – Poritskiy Todres Leibov(grain) In the end of XIX century local Rabbi were David Arie Bakalieshchik and Shmuel Waltchek. Shneur-Zalman Gorelik (1880-1974) was Berezna Rabbi from 1901 till 1926. After this he became a rabbi in Snovsk. Jewish population of Berezna: 1847 – 544 jews 1897 – 1357 (13%) 1939 – 211 2014...

Read More

Novgorod-Seversky

Posted by on Сер 3, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Novgorod-Seversky, city in Chernigov district, Ukraine. During the 14th century, Novgorod-Seversky was conquered by the princes of Lithuania; in the 16th and 17th centuries it was alternately in the hands of the Poles and the Russians; and in 1667 it was definitively annexed by Russia. Beginning A Jewish settlement is mentioned for the first time in a residence permit granted to the townspeople by King Sigismund III Vasa (1587–1632) of Poland. According to the permit Jews were forbidden to sell meat in the town, except in the courtyard of the synagogue. Also included were several tax levies which Jews were ordered to pay. During the Chmielnicki persecutions of 1648 many Jews in Novgorod- Seversky were massacred by the Cossacks. The community was renewed only in the late 18th century. In 1847 1,336 Jews were registered in the community; by...

Read More

Bobrovytsia

Posted by on Лис 9, 2013 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Bobrovitza (Yiddish), Bobrowica (Polish), Bobrowyzja (German), Бобровица – Bobrovitsa (Russian), Бобровиця (Ukrainian). Bobrovytsia is a city (since 1958) in Chernihiv region of Ukraine. Population is 11,916 (2001). Before Revolution it was a town of Kozelec Uezd, Chernigov Gubernia. Beginning The earliest known Jewish community was first half of 19th century. Jewish prayer house was opened here in 1869 but I haven’t find information when it was closed and in what building was situated.  In 1875 there was registered only one Jewish marriage: Zelik Berkov Resnik and Beila-Enta Sruleva Altshuler. In Chernigov Archiv stored documents about Bobrovitsa rabbi’s electing in 1889. It gives interesting details about small Jewish community in the end of XIX century. In that year rabbi became Abraham Getselev Tseitlin, gabay – Mezhirov Berko Mihelev, treasurer – Eliyash Epshtein. In same document  mentioned next Bobrovitsya Jews: Shevel and Moses Volinskie,...

Read More

Chernihiv

Posted by on Кві 10, 2012 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Cernigovas (Lithuanian), Charnihau (Belarusian), Czernihów (Polish), Tschernigow (German), Tshernigov (Yiddish), Чернигов – Chernigov (Russian), Чернігів (Ukrainian) Chernigov is a historic city in northern Ukraine. It is the administrative center of the Chernihiv Oblast, as well as of the surrounding Chernihiv district within the oblast. Beginning In the first half of the tenth century, Chernihiv was part of the lands which paid tribute to the Khazar Empire. During this period, Khazar Jews settled in the city. In the XIth century, a Jewish community was established in Chernihiv. During the existence of the Principality of Chernihiv (1054 – 1239), the city was a centre of Jewish scholarship. A number of Jewish sources from the XIIIth century, for example, respons of Rabbi Yitzhak (England) mention Rabbi Itsh (Yitzhak) from Chernihiv. In 1239, the city was destroyed by the Tatar Mongols. In 1611,...

Read More

Nezhin

Posted by on Бер 5, 2012 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Niezyn (Hungarian), Nizyn (German), Niżyn (Polish), Нежин – Nezhin (Russian), Ніжин (Ukrainian) NEZHIN , city in Chernigov district, Ukraine. Beginning Jews first settled in Nezhin in the early 17th century, but the community was destroyed during the Khmelnitski uprising. They resettled there in the early 18th century. The Hasidic Tzadik Dov Ber of Lubavich, the son of Shneur Zalman of Lyady, the “middle rabbi” of Chabad Hasidism, died and was interred in Nezhin in 1827. The town became a center for the Chabad Hasidim of the Ukraine. It was especially  well known while Israel Noah Schneersohn lived there from 1867 to 1882. In 1847, 1,299 Jews were registered in the community. On July 20, 1881, an anti-Jewish riot broke out there and continued through July 21 and 22; most of the Jewish houses were destroyed. The military, which was...

Read More

Priluki

Posted by on Лют 19, 2012 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 28 comments

Pryłuki (Polish), Прилуки (Ukrainian), Прилуки – Priluki (Russian), פרילוקי (Hebrew), פּריłוקי(Yiddish) If your ancestors are Myasnikov from Priluki (or you have some information about them) – please contact me. It is possible that we are relatives 🙂 Priluki is a city in Chernigov district, Ukraine. Priluki is a historic town located in Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine, center of Prilutskiy raion (not to be confused with Old Priluka – a village in Vinnitsa district, former shtetl). Priluki is located on the Udai River, a tributary of the Sula. The city’s estimated population is 61,600 (as of 2005). Beginning Priluki first appears in historical record in 1085. The settlement was founded initially as border post during the time of Yaroslav Mudriy. In 1569-1648 Priluki was a part of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. In the 17th century the Cossacks took part in...

Read More