Pages Navigation Menu

Smotrich

Posted by on Вер 18, 2016 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Smotrich is a historic town located in Dunaevtsy district of Khmelnitskiy region.  The town’s estimated population is 2,087 (as of 2001). During the time of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (1569–1795), Smotrich was a town in Podolsk voivodeship (it received the Magdeburg Charter in 1488). Smotrich became a part of Russia Empire in 1795 , in XIX – beginning of XX century it was a shtetl of Kamenets Yezd of Podolia Gubernia. Smotrich is approx. 32 km from Dunaevtsy and in 280 km from Kamenets-Podolskiy. Beginning By the beginning of 18th century there was a Jewish community in Smotrich. A large synagogue, noted for its beauty, was built there in the 18th century. Jewish population of Smotrich: 1765 – 375 Jews 1847 – 1,274 Jews 1897 — 1,725 (40%) 1939 – 1,075 (18.5%) 2016 ~ 3 In 1712, a Jewish community with...

Read More

Sudilkov

Posted by on Тра 6, 2015 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 2 comments

סודילקאוו (Hebrew), Судилків (Ukrainian), Судилков (Russian), Sudyłków (Polish) Much of information for this article was taken from Max Grossman’s personal website. Sudilkov is a village located in the Shepetovka district of Khmelnitski (former Kamenets-Podolski) region. The village’s population is estimated at 5,277 (as of 2007). Sudilkov is approx. 34 km from Polonne and in 280 km from Kiev. In the beginning of the XX century Sudilkov was located about 6 km from Shepetovka but is now a suburb of Shepetovka. The population of Sudilkov has not changed in the XX century due to the extermination of the Jewish population and natural growth within Ukrainian population. The town became a part of the Russia Empire in 1793 after the third Partition of Poland. Before the Revolution it was a shtetl of the Zaslav yezd, Volyn guberniya. Beginning Sudilkov was first mentioned in...

Read More

Shepetovka

Posted by on Бер 29, 2015 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Шепетівка (Ukrainian), Шепетовка – Shepetovka (Russian), שעפּעטיווקע (Yiddish), Szepetówka (Polish), Schepetowka (German),  another pronunciations – Shchepetovka, Schepetiwka, Szepietowka, Sepitivka, Shepetifke Shepetovka is a city located in the Khmelnitskiy region. It is located on the Rivers Guska and Kosetska. The city’s estimated population is 43 661 (as of 2010). Shepetovka is approx. 100 km from Khmelnitskiy and in 270 km from Kiev. The first mention of Shepetivka appears in Polish sources dating from 1594. It was given Magdeburg Rights at the end of the XVI century. We can assume that the first Jewish community of Shepetivka, was destroyed along with Polish population during The Khmelnitskiy Uprising of 1649. Following the Second Partition of Poland in 1793, the city became a part of the Russian Empire. Before the Revolution it was a shtetl of Izyaslav yezd, Volyn guberniya. Beginning We can...

Read More

Izyaslav

Posted by on Сер 8, 2014 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Izyaslav (formerly  Zaslavl) city in Khmelnitski region (former Kamenets-Podolski), Ukraine. Situated on the Horyn river, the city dates back to the 11th century. It is one of the oldest cities in Volhynia. As of 2009, the population of Izyslav was 17,232. Beginning The first evidence about the Jewish community there dates back to the first half of the 16th  century. Most of the Jews fled to the neighbouring cities (Ostrog, Mezhirich and Dubno) during the Chmielnicki massacres of 1648. Among them was Nathan ben Moses Hannover who described these tragic events in his book “Yeven Mezulah” (Venice, 1653). Approximately 200 Jews who had remained in Izyaslav were killed on the Old Jewish cemetery and then set on fire. The synagogue was destroyed and converted into a stable. Jewish population of Izyaslav: 1765 — 2807 1857 — 6138 1897 —...

Read More

Medzhibozh

Posted by on Чер 3, 2014 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Międzybóż (Polish),  Меджибіж (Ukrainian), Меджибож – Medzhibozh (Russian), מעזשביזש, Mezbizh (Yiddish) Medzibozh, a small town in the Khmelnitsky district (former Kamenets-Podolski district), Ukraine; until 1793 a part of Poland and then a part of the Russian Empire until 1917 it came under the jurisdiction of the province of Podolia.. Beginning Medzibozh Jewish community is one of the oldest in Ukraine, a Jewish community here is mentioned in the Polish sources dating back to 1509 when a Medzhibozh Jew called Liberman was appointed as a tax collection supervisor. Jewish gravestones from the first half of the 16th century in what is now called the Old Jewish Cemetery also indicate the presence of the Jews in Medzibozh in the medieval period. 1571 census recorded the population of Medzibozh as being made up of 95 Ruthenians, 35 Jews, and 30 Poles. At...

Read More

Kamenets-Podolski

Posted by on Тра 24, 2014 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 1 comment

Kamenets-Podolski, a town in the Khmelnitski district of Ukraine and a district capital until the 1950s. The area was under the Lithuanian control from the 14th century, and remained so after the unification of Poland and Lithuania in 1569, except for a short but formative period of the Ottoman rule between 1672 and 1699; the territory passed to Russia in 1795, and from then on until the Revolution of 1917 Kamenets-Podolski remained the capital of the province of Podolia. The roots of Kamenets-Podolski Jewish community For a long time the municipality of Kamenets-Podolski prevented any attempts of the local Jews to settle in this important trading and commerce center in the southeastern Poland-Lithuania. In 1447 any Jews were prohibited from staying here for more than three days. In 1598 King Sigismund III prohibited Jews from settling in the city...

Read More

Dunaevtsy

Posted by on Кві 12, 2014 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 11 comments

Dinewitz, Dinovits, Dunivits, Dunayevitz, Dinovitz (Yiddish), Dunajevcy, Dunaivci, Dunaivtsi, Dunaje, Dunajowce (Polish), Дунаевцы – Dunaevtsy (Russian), Дунаївці (Ukrainian) Dunaevtsy is the capital city of Dunaevtsy Region, Khmelnytskyi Oblast, Ukraine. The city is located on the river Ternavka, 22 km from the Dunaevtsy railway station and 68 km from the town of Khmelnytsky. As of 2001, the population of Dunaevtsy was 16,448 (2001). Jewsh community of Dunaevtsy need help! At the World War II, the old Jewish cemetery in Dunaevtsy was damaged. The stones have been taken off from the graves and used for pavements and roads. Some of these stones were found during the reconstruction of the town and brought to the local Jewish community and then to the Jewish cemetery. They are there in the grass now. Jewish community of the town of Dunaevtsy, Khmelnitsky region appeals to...

Read More

Pilyava

Posted by on Лип 3, 2013 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 1 comment

Pilyava is a village located in Starosinyavskiy district, Khmelnitskiy region of Ukraine. Kozelets is located on the Ikva River, a tributary of the Southern Bug. The villag’s estimated population is 672 (as of 2001). Pilyava became a part of Russia Empire in 1793, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was shtetl of Litin Yezd of Podolskaya Gubernia.  Known since 1501. In the XVI-XVIII centuries Pilyava was a part of Commonwealth, since 1793 – in the Russian Empire. In the XIX – early XX it was a shtetl of Litin County town in Podolsk province. Population according to 2001 census –  672 persons. Near the village take place great Battle of Pyliavtsi (September 23, 1648) was the third significant battle of the Khmelnytsky Uprising. Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth forces met a numerically superior force of Cossacks and Crimean Tatars under the command of Bohdan Khmelnytsky...

Read More

Krasnostav

Posted by on Бер 24, 2013 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 5 comments

Krasnostav is a small village in Slavuta district of Kmelnitskiy region. Population in the beginning of XXI century is only 535 person. But before Revolution it was a mestechko (shtetl) of Berezdov district, most population were a jews. In Ukraine exist 3 villages with same names (in Zhitomir, Chernihiskiy and Volinskiy regions) but they didn’t have such big Jewish population as this village. Don’t miss this Krasnostav with city in Lublin voevodstvo in Poland – Krasnystav. I didn’t find much information about this former shtetl 🙁 Beginning Hlapotin (it was initial name of current Krasnostav) mentioned in first time in 1386. Krasnostav became a city at June 2, 1573. So we can assume that first Jews appear here in XVI century. City get Magdeburg rights in 1616. In the beginning of XVII century there were 399 houses (now only 177)....

Read More

Berezdov

Posted by on Бер 23, 2013 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Berezdov is a village in the Slavuta district of Khmelnitsky region. In the XVI-XVIII centuries it was a Lutsk povit of Volyn province. Since 1793 – part of Russia Empire. In the XIX – early XX century Berezdovo (other titles is Berestov) was a mestechko of Novograd-Volynskiy yezd, Volyn province. Population in 2000 was 1437 persons. Beginning The earliest known Jewish community exist there in XVII century. In 1618, Krim Tartar abducted local residents. In 1765 there were 49 Jewish houses, in 1784 – 33, in 1787 – 29. From the middle of XIX rabbi was Avrom Stepansky, from 1880 rabbi was his son Chaim Stepansky (1854 -?). I didn’t find information about events in Berezdov during Revolution and Civil War. During the NEP trade and crafts have revived in Berezdov, dozens of private shops appeared on market square. Artisans were mainly Jews,...

Read More

Kilikiev

Posted by on Бер 21, 2013 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 1 comment

Kilikiev is a village in the Slavuta district of Khmelnitsky region. Since 1793 – in Russia Empire. In XIX – beginning XX century – mestechko Ostrozhskiy yezd of Volyn gubernia. Population in the beginning of XXI century – 863 persons. Kilikiev mentioned in archiv as a city at first time in 1596. The earliest known Jewish community was XVII century. In the end of XIX century there was a synagogue and Jewish cemetery. At the beginning of XX century Jews built the mill with a steam engine, which grind grain not only for locals but also people from surrounding villages. Bath was built in the center of the village (now Pershotravneva Str.) In 1914 all 3 grocery store belong to Jews. I didn’t find information about events in Kilikiev during Revolution and Civil War. Find only one document in JDC archiv here....

Read More

Annopol

Posted by on Бер 19, 2013 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Аннополь – Annopol (Russian), Ганнопіль (Ukrainian) Annopol (before 1761 – Glinniki), a village in the Slavutsky district, Khmelnitsky region. Settlement mentioned first time in 1602. Since 1793 became a part of Russia. In the XIX – early XX it was a mestechko in Ostrog yezd, Volyn guberniya. In 1923-1930 Annopol was a center of a district. Beginning Jews settled there in the XVII century. Since the 1770s Annopol played a prominent role in the Hasidism movement. In Annopol lived Dov-ber from Mezerich and his son Avrom “Ha-Malach” (“Angel”) (1741-1776, Fastow), who later became a Tzaddik in Fastov. Dov Ber ruled in religious communities of Rivne  and Mezhyrich, for which he received a title of Great Magid from Mezhirichi. For further spread of Hasidism to west tzadik Dov Ber chose Hannopil where lived a large Jewish community. He lived here 12 years,...

Read More

Slavuta

Posted by on Бер 10, 2013 in Khmelnytskyi region | 12 comments

Slavuta, has been a city in Khmelnitskiy district, Ukraine since 1938. Slavuta was annexed by Russia after the second partition of Poland in 1793 and was part of the Volhynia province until the Revolution of 1917. In 1932 Slavuta was assigned to Vinnitsa district, in 1937 Slavuta became a part of Kamenets-Podolskiy district. In 1954 the city became a part of Khmelnitskiy district.   Where it all began Slavuta was founded as a family seat of the Sanguszko princes. In 1633 Slavuta received Magdeburg self-governing town rights. The first mention of a synagogue in Slavuta appeared in the archive documents in 1731. In 1765 poll tax was paid by 246 Jews registered in Slavuta. Mosheh Shapira was a rabbi in Slavuta towards the end of 18th century. As his rabbinical position was unsalaried, Mosheh made his living by establishing...

Read More

Polonnoe

Posted by on Лип 24, 2012 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 3 comments

Polna, Polonnoje, Polonna, Polonne, Polona (Yiddish), Połonne (Polish), Полонне (Ukrainian), Полонное – Polonnoe (Russian) Polonnoe, city (from 1938) in the Khmelnitski (Proskurov) district, Ukraine. Beginning Jews were mentioned in 1601, and by the middle of the century it was an important community in Volhynia. In 1648, the time of the Chmielnicki massacres, when the Cossack armies approached the town about 12,000 Jews found refuge in its fortress, defending themselves, together with Poles, against the enemy. When the Cossacks overran the town about 300 Jews gathered in the bet hamidrash  and, led by the kabbalist R. Samson Ostropoler, they wrapped themselves in their  tallits  and met death with a prayer on their lips. The number of dead in the town was estimated at 10,000. Jewish population of Polonnoe: 1847 – 2647 jews 1897 – 7910 (48,5%) 1910 – 15 257...

Read More