Pages Navigation Menu

Rzhyshchev

Posted by on Жов 31, 2016 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Rzyszczów (Polish), Ржищев – Rzhishchev (Russian), Ржищів – Rzhyschiv (Ukrainian), אורזישטשב , אורזיטשוב (Yiddish) Rzhyshchev is a town in Kiev district of central Ukraine. The town’s estimated population is 7,519 (as of 2015). In XIX – beginning of XX century it was shtetl of Kiev Yezd of Kiev Gubernia. Rzhyshchev is 78 km south-east of Kiev. Beginning The Jewish population in Rzhyshchev may have existed at the time of Rzeczpospolita (Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (1569–1795) before the Khmelnitsky uprising but confirmed accounts exist from much later times. Thus, in 1740, 40 Jews lived here. Later, when the Kyiv region became part of the Russian Empire in the 1790s, Rzhyshchev was included in the Pale of Settlement where Russian Jews were allowed to settle. In 1896 there was a Ravinskaya (Rabbi) street in Rzhyshchiv, where one could see the house which belonged to...

Read More

Kovshevatoe

Posted by on Жов 31, 2016 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Ківшовата – Kivshovata (Ukrainian), Ковшеватое – Kovshevatoe (Russian) Kovshevatoe is a historic village located in Kiev region of central Ukraine. The village’s estimated population is 2,400 (as of 2001). In XIX – beginning of XX century it was shtetl of Tarasha Yezd of Kiev Gubernia.  Beginning The village was founded in the 1560s by a Polish noble called Chernysh. The first official written evidence dates from the 31st of May 1571 when King Sigismund Augustus confirmed the property rights for “the village Chernyshky called Kovshovatitse” to a boyar (Slav nobility)Tymofiy Tyshkovych from Bila Tserkva. It was a part of Rzeczpospolita (the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (1569–1795) until the XVIII century when in 1793 it became a part of the Russian Empire. During the war of liberation headed by Bohdan Khmelnitskiy Kivshovate passed from one owner to another several times. We can...

Read More

Germanovka

Posted by on Вер 1, 2016 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Germanovka is a village located in Obuhov district of Kiev. Germanovka is located on the Krasna River. The city’s estimated population is 1,667 (as of 2001). Before the Revolution it was a shtetl of Vasilkov yezd, Kiev guberniya. Germanovka is approx. 62km south of Kiev. Beginning While it is thought that Germanovka’s first Jewish community was established in the 17th century and suffered under the Khmelnytskyi pogroms, there is no data available to confirm this. The Jewish community re-appeared in the middle of the XIX century when Germanovka became an important trading centre. A synagogue was built in 1849. In pinkos dating back to 1848, a pogrom of 1881 is recorded. In 1864, the Jewish community of Germanovka numbered 442. In 1891, this number grew to 895. In 1897, the total population of Germanovka was 3,628, and there were 1,049...

Read More

Fastov

Posted by on Сер 7, 2016 in Kiev region | 0 comments

Фастов (Russian), Хвастів – Khvastiv (Formerly), כוואסטוב ,חוואסטוב (Yiddish) Fastov is a historic city located in Kiev region, center of Fastov district. Fastov is located on the Unava River, a tributary of the Irpen. The city’s estimated population is 47,284 (as of 2016). Fastov became a part of Russia Empire in 1793, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was shtetl of Vasylkov Yezd of Kiev Gubernia. Fastov is approx. 40 km from Belaya Tserkov and in 73 km from Kiev. Beginning While the first Jewish community was officially established in 1750, the first Jewish settlement in Fastiv can be traced back to the 17th century. The middle of the XVIII century was marked with devastating pogroms for the Fastov jewish community that suffered greatly from Haidamaks, paramilitary Cossack bands. 1768 was the hardest year for the Jews living in the town. Jewish population of Fastov:...

Read More

Dymer

Posted by on Лип 9, 2016 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Dimer (Yiddish Transliteration), Dymir (Polish), Димер – Dymer (Ukrainian), Дымер – Dymer, Dimer (Russian), דימער (Yiddish) Dymer is a historic town located in Kiev region. The town’s estimated population is 5,817 (as of 2001). Dymer became a part of Russia Empire in 1793, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was shtetl of Kiev Yezd of Kiev Gubernia. Dymer is approx. 32 km from Kiev and in 93 km from Chernobyl. Beginning Over the course of several centuries several ethnic groups co-existed on the abundant soil of Dymer. The Jews lived in Dymer since the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth rule. In the XIX – beginning of the XX centuries the Jews were mostly engaged in handicrafts and trade. The Jewish population of Dymer was 273 in 1847. According to the outstanding local historian Lavrentiy Pokhylevych, 1,773 Orthodox Christians of both genders and 624 Jews lived...

Read More

Trypillia

Posted by on Чер 16, 2016 in Kiev region | 0 comments

Trypillya is a historic town located in Obukhov district of Kiev region. Trypillya is located on the Dnieper River. The town’s estimated population is 3,001 (as of 2006). Trypillya became a part of Russia Empire in 1667, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was shtetl of Kiev Gubernia.  Trypillya is approx. 280 km from Vinnitsya and in 50 km from Kiev. Beginning Historically, people settled in Trypillya because of a ford across the Dnieper river and a strategically important hill rising high above the river bank. Written records of the Jews of Trypillya go back a long time. One of them an appeal on 21 July 1638 to the Kyiv magistrate court (Old Polish state lower courts handling the major offences in the Cossack Hetmanate within the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth from 1434) by a Polish nobleman called Mykola Pronsky, a servant of the...

Read More

Brovary

Posted by on Тра 15, 2016 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Brovary is a city located in Chernigov region of northern Ukraine.  The city’s estimated population is 100,865 (as of 2016). Brovary became a part of Russia Empire in 1667, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was shtetl of Oster Yezd of Chernigov Gubernia. It is approx. 51 km from Kozelets and in 28 km from Kiev. Beginning The Brockhaus-Efron Encyclopaedia notes that Brovary was a mansion settlement with a Cossack population of more than 10 per cent. According to the law of May 14, 1840, Jews were not permitted to settle there; apparently, an 1845 attempt to do so failed. However, in Chapter 55 of the 1866 Respons by the Tzemach Tzedek Menachem Mendel Schneerson, the inhabitants of Brovary are mentioned with regards to a question on the suitability of cereals for Pesach. Therefore, in 1866 (or even earlier, given that the Responsa was compiled...

Read More

Byshov

Posted by on Тра 14, 2016 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Byshov is a historic town located in Makarov district of Kiev region. Byshovis located on the Lupa River, a tributary of the Irpen. The town’s estimated population is 2,773 (as of 2001). Byshov became a part of Russia Empire in 1793, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was shtetl of Kiev Yezd of Kiev Gubernia.       The earliest source of data on the Byshiv Jewish community states that there were 142 Jews in the village in 1765. Population numbers peaked in 1864 at 780, and dropped to 597 by 1897 (17% of total population). According to the Brockhaus-Efron Encyclopaedia, in the archives of the town owners in Pashkotz, a document has been preserved in which an Itsko Ozerovich proclaims his free will to swear loyalty in the synagogue. In 1768, the Jews of Byshiv were victims of the Haidamak pogroms. In 1900 there was one synagogue...

Read More

Rykun

Posted by on Кві 26, 2016 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Rykun village is a part of Dymer, an urban-type settlement in  Kiev region, Ukraine. It was founded as a Jewish agricultural settlement in Kiev Uezd of Kiev province in 1853. Since the 1980s it has been the village of Dymer district, Kiev region.  The city’s estimated population is 275 (as of 2001). Beginning The origin of the village name is not known. A local historian from Dymer, Grigoriy Alekseenko reckons that Rykun is the surname of one of the first Jewish settlers who came there from Uman. This version was first suggested after a visit of an emigrant descendant from Uman, Jonathan J.Rikoon whose last name is similar to the village name.As a representative of American Heritage Commission, he visited the inauguration of the Holocaust memorial in Dymer in 2011. In 1850 32 families resided in the village, 323 people...

Read More

Boryspol

Posted by on Кві 10, 2016 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Boryspol is a historic city located in Kiev region,Ukraine, center of Boryspol district. The city’s estimated population is 60,102 (as of 2013). Boryspol became a part of Russia Empire in 1667, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was shtetl of Pereyaslav Yezd of Poltava Gubernia. Boryspil was first mentioned in the XI century as ‘Lta’, when the son of Prince Vladimir, Boris, died at the river Alta. It is presumed that the modern name appeared during the XVI century, in honor of Saint Boris. It is not known exactly when the Jewish population arrived in the city, although we know that the community suffered during the Khmelnitsky pogroms of the XVI century. Jewish population of Boryspol: 1897 – 1094 (12,2%) 1910 – 955 jews 1923 – 419 jews 1939 – 375 jews 1989 – 68 2010 ~ 40 As in most...

Read More

Khabno

Posted by on Кві 2, 2016 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 2 comments

«… This town is known as Khabnoe. It has everything that you need in a shtetl: the post office, a state-appointed and a local rabbi, the river, telegraph service, a cemetery, a police station, a Talmud Torah, some Hasidim, two synagogues, a lot of poor Jews and a handful of the rich, just like it is in our shtetls.» (Sholom Aleikhem “Khabnoe town”) Кагановичи – Kaganovichi, Kahanovychi (Formerly), Кагановичі Перші – Kahanovychi Pershi (Formerly), Полесское – Polesskoe (Russian), Поліське – Poliske, Polis’ke (Ukrainian), Хабно – Khabno (Formerly) Khabno was a historic town located in Kiev region of northern Ukraine. Khabno was located on the Uzh River, a tributary of the Pripyat. It was renamed Kaganovichi in 1934, and Polesskoye in 1957. Khabnoe became a part of Russia Empire in 1793, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was shtetl of Radomyshl Yezd of...

Read More

Shtetls of Kiev Gubernia

Posted by on Січ 4, 2016 in Kiev region, news | 0 comments

Below is the map with 88 settlements which has more that 1000 of Jewish popualtion according to 1897 census in Kiev Gubernia. Part of them were city but most was “classic” shtetl. More details and naming variants you can find below the map. Some names was changes and some shtetls disappeared but on the map mentioned real Pre-Revolution name. Hostoml (Polish), Hostomla, Ostomla (Alternative Name), Гостомель – Gostomel, Gostomel’ (Russian), Гостомель – Hostomel, Hostomel’ (Ukrainian), Остромир – Ostromir, Ostromyr (Formerly) 916 Jews( 46% of total population) Anatovka (Yiddish Transliteration), Гнатівка – Hnativka (Ukrainian), Игнатовка – Ignatovka (Russian), אנטבקה (Yiddish) 926 Jews( 85% of total population) Tahancho 953 Jews( 21% of total population) Dimer (Yiddish Transliteration), Dymir (Polish), Димер – Dymer (Ukrainian), Дымер – Dymer, Dimer (Russian), דימער (Yiddish) 984 Jews( 31% of total population) Moshny (English), Мошны (Ukrainian) 1022...

Read More

Narodichi

Posted by on Вер 25, 2013 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Naroditch (Yiddish), Naroditschi (German), Narodychi (English), Narodyci, Bolshie Narodichi, Narodycze (Polish), Народичи – Narodichi (Russian), Народичі – Narodychi (Ukrainian) Narodichi has been classified as a city since 1958. It is a regional center in the Zhytomyr region of Ukraine. It is known from the XV century. In the XVI-XVIII centuries it was a shtetl in the Ovruch povit of Kyiv province within the Commonwealth, which became a part of the Russian Empire in 1793. In the XIX to early XX century it was in the Ovruch district of Volyn province. In the 1930‘s it was the center of the Jewish national district. Beginning The first mention of a Jewish community in Narodichi was in 1683.  In 1875 the chief rabbi of Narodichi was Elia-Leib Juravel (1847 – ? ). The main occupations of the Jewish population in XIX – early...

Read More

Skvira

Posted by on Сер 20, 2013 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 7 comments

Skver, Skvir, Skwere (Yiddish Transliteration), Skwira (Polish), Сквира – Skvira (Russian), Сквира – Skvyra (Ukrainian), סקווירא (Yiddish) Skvyra is a town in the Kiev Oblast (province) of central Ukraine.  It is the administrative center of the Skvyrskyi Raion (district), and is currently a regional municipality. First Jewish inhabitants Jewish population of Skvyra: 1775 – 116 Jews 1847 – 2,184 Jews 1897 – 8,910 (49.5%) 1926 – 4,681 (33.6%) 1939 – 2,243 Jews 1950 ~ 1,000 Jews 1960 ~ 500 Jews 2009 ~ 120 Jews The ancient town of Skvyra was completely destroyed at the end of the 16th century. In 1736, Skvyra was mentioned as a village (selo) leased to a Jewish tenant. According to the census of 1765, there were 124 houses in Skvyra, 51 of which belonged to Jews. In 1775, 116 Jews lived in Skvyra, in 1784...

Read More

Boguslav

Posted by on Лип 30, 2013 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Bohsla (Yiddish), Boslw (German), Богуслав – Boguslav (Russian,Ukrainian) Boguslav is a city (since 1938), district center in the Kiev region. Since 1360 – in the Great Kingdom of Lithuania; since 1569 – city of Kiev povet and province in the Commonwealth. Beginning The first known instance of Jewish settlement in Bohuslav dates from the late 16th/early 17th century.Jewish population of Boguslav: 1765 – 574 jews 1847 — 5294 jews 1897 — 7445 (65,5%) 1910 — 14 236 (72%) 1926 — 6432 (53%) 1939 — 2230 jews 1989 — 179 jews 2004 – 50 jews The Jewish population of Bohuslav suffered during the Khmelnitsky pogroms in 1648, from the Cossack raids of 1702, and from the Haidamak pogroms in 1768. In 1765 in Bohuslav lived 574 Jews, in 1784 – 622 Jews. In 1789, the local population made a failed...

Read More

Chernobyl

Posted by on Гру 27, 2012 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Chernobyl – Чернобыль (Russian), טשערנאבל (Yiddish) צ’רנוביל (Hebrew) Chernobyl is a historic town located in Kiev region of northern Ukraine. Chernobyl is located on the Pripyat River, a tributary of the Dnieper. All population was evacuated in 1986 after nuclear disaster. Now in town located only few offices of “30km Exclusion Zone” and temporary stuff. Chernobyl became a part of Russia Empire in 1793, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was shtetl of Radomyshl Yezd of Kiev. Chernobyl is approx. 32 km from Radomyshl and in 280 km from Kiev. Beginning It had one of the oldest Jewish settlements in the  Ukraine, dating from the end of the 17th century (first mention in documents dated by 1193). It was originally under the jurisdiction of the Lithuanian Council and attached in 1710 to the Council of the Four Lands. In 1691 a Cossack gang...

Read More

Belaya Tserkov

Posted by on Лип 10, 2012 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 2 comments

Shvartze Timme (Yiddish Transliteration), Белая Церковь – Belaia Tserkov, Belaya Tserkov (Russian), Біла Церква – Bila Tserkva (Ukrainian), שדה לבן (Hebrew) Belaya Tserkov is a historic city located in Kiev region of Central Ukraine, center of Belaya Tserkov district. Kozelets is located on the Ros’ River, a tributary of the Dnieper. The city’s estimated population is 212,090 (as of 2016). Belaya Tserkov became a part of Russia Empire in 1793, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was a shtetl of Vasylkov Yezd of Kiev Gubernia. Belaya Tserkov is approx. 85 km from Kiev, 38 km from Fastov and 37 km from Skvira. If you want help to Belaya Tserkov Jewish school “Mitzva-613”: in UAH: Р/С 26006060214751; ПАО КБ “Приватбанк”; МФО 321842; ЕДРПОУ 33519562 получатель НВК”Міцва-613″ in USD: Полное название: Branch #10026/0877 Main administration in city Kyiv and Kyiv area...

Read More

Kiev

Posted by on Чер 26, 2012 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Article don’t complited Киев – Kiev (Russian), Київ – Kyiv (Ukrainian), קיִעוו (Yiddish), קייב (Hebrew) Kiev or Kyiv is the capital and the largest city of Ukraine, located in the north central part of the country on the Dnieper River. Beginning Kiev’s central position on the river Dnipro at the commercial crossroads of Western Europe and the East attracted Jewish settlers (Rabbanites and Karaites) from the foundation of the town in the eighth century C.E. At first most of them were transient merchants from both east and west. According to letters dated 930 from the Cairo Genizah there were Jews in Kiev at this time. Ancient Russian chronicles relate that some Jews from Khazaria Visited Vladimir, the prince of Kiev, to try to convert him to Judaism (986). About that time a Jewish community already existed in the city. Jewish merchants from the West took part in...

Read More