Pages Navigation Menu

Alexandrovka

Posted by on Mar 21, 2019 in Kirovohrad region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Alexandrovka is a city located in Kirovograd region of central Ukraine, center of Alexandrovka district. Kozelets is located on the Tyasmin River, a tributary of the Dnieper. The city’s estimated population is 8721 (as of 2017). In XIX – beginning of XX century it was shtetl of Chigirin Yezd of Kiev Gubernia. Information about the Jews of Alexandrovka was collected and organized by the head of the local museum Vasyl Viktorovich Biloshapka. Get Directions The first written mention of the Jews of Alexandrovka district dates back to the second half of the XVIII century, beginning from 1765. It was found in some Polish documents. Rabbi Nakhman from Bratslav (1772 – 1810), the future founder of Bratslav (Breslovsky) Hasidism used to live in the village called Stara Osota of Alexandrovka district after his marriage at the age of 13. He...

Read More

Novoarkhangelsk

Posted by on Jan 24, 2019 in Kirovohrad region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Novoarkhangelsk is an urban-type settlement since 1957 and a district center of Kirovograd region. It was established in 1742. In the XIX to early XX centuries, it was a shtetl of Yelizavetgradka uyezd, Kherson guberniya. Novoarkhangelsk stands on river Sinuha. On the opposite side of river locates former shtetl Torgovitsya. We were in Novoarkhangelsk in the summer 2017, but we couldn’t gather any information about the history of Jews living in this former shtetl. Get Directions Jews have been living in Novoarkhangelsk since 1764. In the XVIII century, the main occupations of the Jewish population of the shtetl were crafts and trade. Jewish population of Rizhanovka: 1897 — 943 (15%) 1923 – 570 Jews 1939 – 209 Jews In the 1880’s Jews owned the majority of trade and industrial enterprises including mills and smithies. In 1913, Jews owned the only...

Read More

Zlatopol

Posted by on Jun 13, 2018 in Kirovohrad region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Zlatopol is a settlement in the former Kiev guberniya. In 1959, Zlatopol was incorporated into Novomirgorod in the Kirovograd region. In the XIX – early XX centuries, it was a shtetl belonging to the Chigirin uyezd, Kiev guberniya. In the late XVIII century, Jews began to settle in Zlatopol. By 1787, the town belonged to the noble Polish Liubomirskiy family. Ksaveriy Liubomirsky stimulated the development of Zlatopol. He used to hold fairs there, and gave credit to Jewish merchants. In the late XVIII – early XIX centuries Hasidish tzaddik Arie-Leib from Shpola (Shpoler Zeide) lived in Zlatopol. Get Directions In 1800, Rebbe Nakhman from Bratslav settled there. However, in 1802, the tsaddik’s wife died of consumption. He buried her in the Zlatopol Jewish cemetery and moved away. 2 more lists In the mid-XIX century, a lot of Jewish merchants...

Read More

Torgovitsa

Posted by on Apr 24, 2018 in Kirovohrad region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Torgovitsa is a village of Novoarkhangelsk district, Kirovograd region. Before the Revolution it was a shtetl of Uman uyezd, Kiev province. I could find very little information about Jews from Torgovitsa 🙁 We visited Torgovitsa in 2017 and made few photos of Holocaust mass grave and remains of Jewish cemetery. Get Directions According to 1897 census, 1299 Jews lived there (35% of total population). Before the revolution Jews lived mainly in Novaya street which was up to the Market square. There were no pre-revolutionary buildings in the village. Volko Solomonovich Golberg was a teacher in the village before the war. He had daughter Betia and son Yosef. Shmil (unknown surname) was a worker in the collective farm. All Jews of Torgovitsa were exterminated during the Holocaust… Incription on the fence Monument on the grave When the Jews were driven to the...

Read More

Pokotilovo

Posted by on Dec 17, 2017 in Kirovohrad region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Pokotilovo is a village in the Novoarkhangelsk district of the Kirovograd region in the Ukraine.  In the XIX and XX centuries, however, it was considered a shtetl in the Uman Uyezd, and part of Kiev province. Beginning According to historians, the first Jews settled in Pokotilovo in the XVIII century. By 1897, more than half of its residents were Jewish. Reports differ on the number of synagogues or prayer houses that existed during the XIX century.  Some say two; others report three.  The number appears to be dependent on what constituted a synagogue and how stable and prosperous the community was at any given time. Get Directions One historian identified a rabbi by the name of Khaim (or perhaps Chaim) Goldstein (1845-?) in 1866.  Another identified  Matvey Leonovich Galperin as a state rabbi in the 1900’s. From the memories...

Read More