Pages Navigation Menu

Mena

Posted by on Лис 19, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Mena (Polish), Myena (German), Мена (Ukrainian), Мена – Mena (Russian) Mena is a historic town located in Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine, center of Mena district. The city’s estimated population is 12,900 (as of 2005). Mena became a part of Russia Empire in 1667, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was center of Mena Yezd of Chernigov Gubernia. Beginning Records from the early 19th century describe the general population in Mena at around 6,000 people. The Jewish population of this time is not mentioned but reference is made to the existence of a synagogue and another Jewish house of worship. According to the 1897 census, 6,277 people lived in Mena, more than a quarter of whom were Jews. The main activities of the Jewish population in the 19th and early 20th centuries were in trade and crafts. In 1902, the...

Read More

Repki

Posted by on Жов 30, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Репки – Repki (Russian), Ріпки (Ukrainian) Repki is a historic town located in the Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine and the center of Repki district. The city’s estimated population is 7,458 (as of 2011). Before the Revolution Repky was a mestechko of Gorodnta Uezd, Chernigov guberniya. Jewish population of Repki: 1897 – 3049 (91,3%) 1939 – 79 2014 – 1 In 1873, there was a synagogue in Ripky. According to the 1897 census, the total population stood at 3,336, including 3,049 Jews. The business directory of 1903 lists few names of Jewish entrepreneurs in Repky: Grocery stores: Aleksandrov Hatsk. Gersh., Glukhovskiy Israil Avram. Haberdashery: Zhezmer Mih. Zalm. In 1905, pogroms took place in the town following the Manifesto of October 18. The town Rabbi  in the beginning of XX century was Shneur-Zalman Schneerson (? – 1928). In 1912, a...

Read More

Korukovka

Posted by on Жов 29, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Most of information obtained for this article was presented by Oksana Tolkachova from the Korukovka historical museum. Korukovka is a historic city located in Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine, and is the center of Korukovka district. It was founded in 1657. Korukovka is located on the Brech River, a tributary of the Snov. The city’s estimated population is 14,805 (as of 2005). In XIX – beginning of XX century it belonged to Sosnitsya Yezd of Chernigov Gubernia. Judging by what we know of Jewish settlement in Sosnitsya Yezd, we can surmise that Jews first appeared in Korukovka at the beginning of XIX century. In 1887 the local sugar factory was bought by Lazar Brodskiy. Brodskiy was famous for his philanthropy. In 1896 he funded the construction of a school and from 1902-1904 a hospital as well as housing for...

Read More

Korop

Posted by on Жов 13, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Korop is a historic town located in the Chernihiv region in the north of Ukraine and is the center of the Korop district. Korop is located on the Desna River. The town’s estimated population is 5,600 (as of 2005). Korop became a part of the Russian Empire in 1667, and in 1796 it was a shtetl in Krolevets Yezd of Malorossia Gubernia and further Chernigov Gubernia. In 1862, there were 218 Jews living in Korop, reaching to over a thousand by 1920, although this figure dropped slightly in the subsequent decade with the Jewish population of 787 in 1926, accounting for some 12% of all Korop residents. Jewish population of Korop: 1865 – 255 1897 – 873 (13,9%) 1910 – 1102 1920 – 1014 1926 – 787 (12,1%) 1939 – 350 (5,6%). In the late 18th century, Korop was...

Read More

Sosnitsa

Posted by on Вер 30, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Sosnica (Polish), Sosnitza (Yiddish), Sosnyzja (German), Сосница – Sosnitsa (Russian), Сосниця (Ukrainian) Sosnitsa is a historic town located in the Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine and is the center of Sosnitsa district. Sosnitsa is located on the Ubid River, a tributary of the Desna. The city’s estimated population is 7,695 (as of 2014). Sosnitsa became a part of Russia Empire in 1667, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was the center of Sosnitsa Yezd of Chernigov Gubernia. In the 17th century, Sosnytsia,  one of the oldest cities in the Chernihiv region, became a district center. During Khmelnitsky’s uprising, a total expulsion of Jews from Sosnytsia took place. The Jews returned to this area in the early 19th century, when Chernihiv province was included into the Pale of Settlement. According to the census of 1847, the county had...

Read More

Schors

Posted by on Вер 17, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Schtschors (German), Snovsk (Formerly called), Snowska (Polish), Коржовка – Korzhovka (Formerly called), Щорс (Ukrainian), Щорс – Schors (Russian). Schors is a historic town located in the Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine and is the center of the Schors district. Schors is located on the Snovsk River, a tributary of the Desna. The town’s estimated population is 11,471 (as of 2013). Schors appeared after the building of the Libavo-Romen railway line in 1878. The location was convenient as the city was built around a major railyard. It was renamed to Snovsk in the end of XIX century. Snovsk get status of city in 1924. In 1935 the city was renamed to Schors in the honor of famous red army general of the Civil War, Nikolai Schors (1895 – 1919). Beginning Jews first appeared in the city at the end of...

Read More

Kozelets

Posted by on Вер 1, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Kozeletz, Mushkev (Yiddish), Kozielec (Hungarian), Myszkov (German), Nowy (Polish), Козелец – Kozelets (Russian), Козелець (Ukrainian) Kozelets is a historic town located in Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine, center of Kozelets district. Kozelets is located on the Oster River, a tributary of the Dnieper. The city’s estimated population is 8,305 (as of 2007). Kozelets became a part of Russia Empire in 1667, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was center of Kozelets Yezd of Chernigov Gubernia. Since 1932 it became a town of Chernigov region. In 1666, there were already several Jewish homes in Kozelet’s, of which four belonged to artisans and four were owned by merchants. By 1766, Jews accounted for about 8% of Kozelets’ residents (a total of 2,273 people). The census of 1847 mentioned only one ‘Kozelets’ Jewish community’, comprising 658 people but according to...

Read More

Borzna

Posted by on Сер 20, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Borzna is a historic town in northern Ukraine. It is the administrative center of the Borzna district in the Chernihiv region. The estimated population of the town is around 10,640 (as of 2011). Beginning The local Jewish community in Borzna was destroyed in 1648 and Jews did not resume living there until the mid-18th century. In 1736, there lived 3 Jewsih families. Thereafter, the local Jewish community grew rapidly, reaching its peak at the end of the 19th century. In 1881 a pogrom took place in Borzna In 1863, a synagogue operated in the town. The most common occupations among Jews were garment manufacturing and trade. Many Jews of Borzna were skilled tailors. In 1881 a pogrom took place in Borzna. In the 1890s, the rabbi in Borzna was Itshok-Dovid Vidrevich (1861 -?). In 1909, a society of assistance...

Read More

Berezna

Posted by on Сер 11, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Berezna is a town in Chernigov oblast, Ukraine. Population in 2011 was 4902 persons. Beginning There were no Jews in the town at the beginning of the 19th century. In 1847 the Jewish community of Berezna had 292 men and 252 women. In 1897, the population of the town numbered 9,922 of whom 1,357 were Jews. The Orthodox Christian population number 8,500. In Russian Empire Business Directories by 1903 mentioned next Jewish enterpreneurs: – Butovskiy Samuil Izrailev (grocery) – Zalmanzon Izrail Aronov (grocery) – Magilner Toiba Shlemovna (haberdashery) – Poritskiy Todres Leibov(grain) In the end of XIX century local Rabbi were David Arie Bakalieshchik and Shmuel Waltchek. Shneur-Zalman Gorelik (1880-1974) was Berezna Rabbi from 1901 till 1926. After this he became a rabbi in Snovsk. Jewish population of Berezna: 1847 – 544 jews 1897 – 1357 (13%) 1939 – 211 2014...

Read More

Izyaslav

Posted by on Сер 8, 2014 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Izyaslav (formerly  Zaslavl) city in Khmelnitski region (former Kamenets-Podolski), Ukraine. Situated on the Horyn river, the city dates back to the 11th century. It is one of the oldest cities in Volhynia. As of 2009, the population of Izyslav was 17,232. Beginning The first evidence about the Jewish community there dates back to the first half of the 16th  century. Most of the Jews fled to the neighbouring cities (Ostrog, Mezhirich and Dubno) during the Chmielnicki massacres of 1648. Among them was Nathan ben Moses Hannover who described these tragic events in his book “Yeven Mezulah” (Venice, 1653). Approximately 200 Jews who had remained in Izyaslav were killed on the Old Jewish cemetery and then set on fire. The synagogue was destroyed and converted into a stable. Jewish population of Izyaslav: 1765 — 2807 1857 — 6138 1897 —...

Read More

Novgorod-Seversky

Posted by on Сер 3, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Novgorod-Seversky, city in Chernigov district, Ukraine. During the 14th century, Novgorod-Seversky was conquered by the princes of Lithuania; in the 16th and 17th centuries it was alternately in the hands of the Poles and the Russians; and in 1667 it was definitively annexed by Russia. Beginning A Jewish settlement is mentioned for the first time in a residence permit granted to the townspeople by King Sigismund III Vasa (1587–1632) of Poland. According to the permit Jews were forbidden to sell meat in the town, except in the courtyard of the synagogue. Also included were several tax levies which Jews were ordered to pay. During the Chmielnicki persecutions of 1648 many Jews in Novgorod- Seversky were massacred by the Cossacks. The community was renewed only in the late 18th century. In 1847 1,336 Jews were registered in the community; by...

Read More

Medzhibozh

Posted by on Чер 3, 2014 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Międzybóż (Polish),  Меджибіж (Ukrainian), Меджибож – Medzhibozh (Russian), מעזשביזש, Mezbizh (Yiddish) Medzibozh, a small town in the Khmelnitsky district (former Kamenets-Podolski district), Ukraine; until 1793 a part of Poland and then a part of the Russian Empire until 1917 it came under the jurisdiction of the province of Podolia.. Beginning Medzibozh Jewish community is one of the oldest in Ukraine, a Jewish community here is mentioned in the Polish sources dating back to 1509 when a Medzhibozh Jew called Liberman was appointed as a tax collection supervisor. Jewish gravestones from the first half of the 16th century in what is now called the Old Jewish Cemetery also indicate the presence of the Jews in Medzibozh in the medieval period. 1571 census recorded the population of Medzibozh as being made up of 95 Ruthenians, 35 Jews, and 30 Poles. At...

Read More

Kamenets-Podolski

Posted by on Тра 24, 2014 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 1 comment

Kamenets-Podolski, a town in the Khmelnitski district of Ukraine and a district capital until the 1950s. The area was under the Lithuanian control from the 14th century, and remained so after the unification of Poland and Lithuania in 1569, except for a short but formative period of the Ottoman rule between 1672 and 1699; the territory passed to Russia in 1795, and from then on until the Revolution of 1917 Kamenets-Podolski remained the capital of the province of Podolia. The roots of Kamenets-Podolski Jewish community For a long time the municipality of Kamenets-Podolski prevented any attempts of the local Jews to settle in this important trading and commerce center in the southeastern Poland-Lithuania. In 1447 any Jews were prohibited from staying here for more than three days. In 1598 King Sigismund III prohibited Jews from settling in the city...

Read More

Dunaevtsy

Posted by on Кві 12, 2014 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 11 comments

Dinovitz (Yiddish),  Дунаевцы – Dunaevtsy (Russian), Дунаївці (Ukrainian) Dunaevtsy is the capital city of Dunaevtsy Region, Khmelnytskyi Oblast, Ukraine. The city is located on the river Ternavka, 22 km from the Dunaevtsy railway station and 68 km from the town of Khmelnytsky. As of 2001, the population of Dunaevtsy was 16,448 (2001). Jewsh community of Dunaevtsy need help! At the World War II, the old Jewish cemetery in Dunaevtsy was damaged. The stones have been taken off from the graves and used for pavements and roads. Some of these stones were found during the reconstruction of the town and brought to the local Jewish community and then to the Jewish cemetery. They are there in the grass now. Jewish community of the town of Dunaevtsy, Khmelnitsky region appeals to those who are not indifferent to the memory of our...

Read More

Berdichev

Posted by on Кві 7, 2014 in Shtetls, Zhytomyr region | 4 comments

Barditchev (Yiddish), Berdicev (Romanian), Berditchev, Berditchov, Berditschew, Berdytschiw, Berdyczów (Polish), Бердичев – Berdichev (Russian), Бердичів (Ukrainian) Berdychiv is a historic city in the Zhytomyr Oblast. How it all began Jews were first mentioned in Berdichev in 1593. Towards the mid-eighteenth century, the city became one of the main Jewish centers of Ukraine, earning the esteemed title “Jerusalem of Volhynia.” From 1785, Berdichev was home to Rabbi Levi Yitzhak of Berdichev, a prominent Hassidic leader, as well as Rabbi Yitzhak Ber Levinzon, a famous advocate of Jewish Enlightenment. In 1797, prince Radziwill granted seven Jewish cloth merchants the monopoly of the cloth trade in Berdichev. In 1798, a Jewish printing press was established in the city, one of the greatest in Russia. The ideas of enlightenment (Haskalah) began to spread in Berdichev early in the 19th century, especially among the...

Read More

Bobrovytsia

Posted by on Лис 9, 2013 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Bobrovitza (Yiddish), Bobrowica (Polish), Bobrowyzja (German), Бобровица – Bobrovitsa (Russian), Бобровиця (Ukrainian). Bobrovytsia is a city (since 1958) in Chernihiv region of Ukraine. Population is 11,916 (2001). Before Revolution it was a town of Kozelec Uezd, Chernigov Gubernia. Beginning The earliest known Jewish community was first half of 19th century. Jewish prayer house was opened here in 1869 but I haven’t find information when it was closed and in what building was situated.  In 1875 there was registered only one Jewish marriage: Zelik Berkov Resnik and Beila-Enta Sruleva Altshuler. In Chernigov Archiv stored documents about Bobrovitsa rabbi’s electing in 1889. It gives interesting details about small Jewish community in the end of XIX century. In that year rabbi became Abraham Getselev Tseitlin, gabay – Mezhirov Berko Mihelev, treasurer – Eliyash Epshtein. In same document  mentioned next Bobrovitsya Jews: Shevel and Moses Volinskie,...

Read More

Narodichi

Posted by on Вер 25, 2013 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Naroditch (Yiddish), Naroditschi (German), Narodychi (English), Narodyci, Bolshie Narodichi, Narodycze (Polish), Народичи – Narodichi (Russian), Народичі – Narodychi (Ukrainian) Narodichi has been classified as a city since 1958. It is a regional center in the Zhytomyr region of Ukraine. It is known from the XV century. In the XVI-XVIII centuries it was a shtetl in the Ovruch povit of Kyiv province within the Commonwealth, which became a part of the Russian Empire in 1793. In the XIX to early XX century it was in the Ovruch district of Volyn province. In the 1930‘s it was the center of the Jewish national district. Beginning The first mention of a Jewish community in Narodichi was in 1683.  In 1875 the chief rabbi of Narodichi was Elia-Leib Juravel (1847 – ? ). The main occupations of the Jewish population in XIX – early...

Read More

Radomyshl

Posted by on Вер 1, 2013 in Shtetls, Zhytomyr region | 1 comment

Radomishel (Yiddish), Radomishl, Radomyszl, Radomyschl (German), Radomyshl’ (Ukrainian), Radomysl’ (Russian), Radomyśl (Polish) Radomyshl is a historic city in the Zhytomyr Oblast (province) of northern Ukraine. It is the administrative center of the Radomyshl Raion (district), and is located on the left bank of Teteriv River, a right tributary of Dnieper River. In 1897 Radomyshl was a city with large Jewish community – 7502 persons (69% of total population) which is one of the biggest in Kiev Gubernia after Berdichev (41617 Jews), Kiev (31801 Jews), Uman (17943 Jews), Belaya Tserkov (18720 Jews), Cherkassy (10950 Jews) and Skvira (8908). Jewish places in Radomyshl: Beginning Jews have lived in Radomyshl since XVI century. During the Khmelnytsky upraising was plunder and Jewish population exterminated. After this Jews began to settle in Radomyshl only in first part of XVIII century. In 1750 Haidamak’s squad ransacked house of Jewish tenant. In 1754 Radomyshl was plunder again – Jewish shops...

Read More

Skvira

Posted by on Сер 20, 2013 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 7 comments

Skver, Skvir, Skwere (Yiddish Transliteration), Skwira (Polish), Сквира – Skvira (Russian), Сквира – Skvyra (Ukrainian), סקווירא (Yiddish) Skvyra is a town in the Kiev Oblast (province) of central Ukraine.  It is the administrative center of the Skvyrskyi Raion (district), and is currently a regional municipality. First Jewish inhabitants Jewish population of Skvyra: 1775 – 116 Jews 1847 – 2,184 Jews 1897 – 8,910 (49.5%) 1926 – 4,681 (33.6%) 1939 – 2,243 Jews 1950 ~ 1,000 Jews 1960 ~ 500 Jews 2009 ~ 120 Jews The ancient town of Skvyra was completely destroyed at the end of the 16th century. In 1736, Skvyra was mentioned as a village (selo) leased to a Jewish tenant. According to the census of 1765, there were 124 houses in Skvyra, 51 of which belonged to Jews. In 1775, 116 Jews lived in Skvyra, in 1784...

Read More

Boguslav

Posted by on Лип 30, 2013 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Bohsla (Yiddish), Boslw (German), Богуслав – Boguslav (Russian,Ukrainian) Boguslav is a city (since 1938), district center in the Kiev region. Since 1360 – in the Great Kingdom of Lithuania; since 1569 – city of Kiev povet and province in the Commonwealth. Beginning The first known instance of Jewish settlement in Bohuslav dates from the late 16th/early 17th century.Jewish population of Boguslav: 1765 – 574 jews 1847 — 5294 jews 1897 — 7445 (65,5%) 1910 — 14 236 (72%) 1926 — 6432 (53%) 1939 — 2230 jews 1989 — 179 jews 2004 – 50 jews The Jewish population of Bohuslav suffered during the Khmelnitsky pogroms in 1648, from the Cossack raids of 1702, and from the Haidamak pogroms in 1768. In 1765 in Bohuslav lived 574 Jews, in 1784 – 622 Jews. In 1789, the local population made a failed...

Read More

Pilyava

Posted by on Лип 3, 2013 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 1 comment

Pilyava is a village located in Starosinyavskiy district, Khmelnitskiy region of Ukraine. Kozelets is located on the Ikva River, a tributary of the Southern Bug. The villag’s estimated population is 672 (as of 2001). Pilyava became a part of Russia Empire in 1793, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was shtetl of Litin Yezd of Podolskaya Gubernia.  Known since 1501. In the XVI-XVIII centuries Pilyava was a part of Commonwealth, since 1793 – in the Russian Empire. In the XIX – early XX it was a shtetl of Litin County town in Podolsk province. Population according to 2001 census –  672 persons. Near the village take place great Battle of Pyliavtsi (September 23, 1648) was the third significant battle of the Khmelnytsky Uprising. Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth forces met a numerically superior force of Cossacks and Crimean Tatars under the command of Bohdan Khmelnytsky...

Read More

Dubova

Posted by on Чер 2, 2013 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 3 comments

Dubowa (Polish), Дубова, Dubova (Russian), דבובה (Yiddish) or Dubove(before Revolution) Dubova is a village in Uman district of Cherkassy district. Population is 589 persons according to 2001 census. Before Revolution it was a shtetl of Kiev Guberniya. The emblem of Dubova depicts a cross, oak and a Star of David in memory of the once numerous Jewish population. Beginning Jews lived in Dubova from the 16th century. Jewish population of Dubova: 1863 – 770 (27%) 1897 – 1104 jews 1917 – 1115 jews In 1863, the population consisted of 2,783 people, among whom were 2,555 Orthodox Christians and 770 Jews, as well as six Free Churchmen. By the 1897 census, the Jewish community had increased to 1,104 people. There was a Jewish savings and loan association in town and two synagogues operated. The centre of the Chernobyl Hasidic branch was...

Read More

Husiatyn

Posted by on Тра 28, 2013 in Shtetls, Ternopil region | 1 comment

Gusiatyn, Gusatin, Usiatyn, Gusyatin (Russian), Husiatin (Yiddish), Husiatyń (Polish), Гусятин – Gusiatin (Russian), Гусятин – Husiatyn (Ukrainian). Most information was taked from Jewishgen website. Husiatyn is a town in the Ternopil Oblast of Western Ukraine. Husiatyn is the administrative center of the Husiatyn Raion (district), and is located on the west bank of the Zbruch River. This river formed the old boundary between Austria-Hungary and the Russian Empire (1792-1918) and between Poland and the Soviet Union during the inter-war period of the twentieth century. Beginning The history of the Jewish community in Gusyatin spans more than 500 years from its early origins as a farm in the sixteenth century. The community reached its peak in the late 1800s, when Gusyatin was both a thriving commercial center and one of the most important Hassidic centers in Galicia. Sadly, the golden...

Read More

Krasnostav

Posted by on Бер 24, 2013 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 5 comments

Krasnostav is a small village in Slavuta district of Kmelnitskiy region. Population in the beginning of XXI century is only 535 person. But before Revolution it was a mestechko (shtetl) of Berezdov district, most population were a jews. In Ukraine exist 3 villages with same names (in Zhitomir, Chernihiskiy and Volinskiy regions) but they didn’t have such big Jewish population as this village. Don’t miss this Krasnostav with city in Lublin voevodstvo in Poland – Krasnystav. I didn’t find much information about this former shtetl 🙁 Beginning Hlapotin (it was initial name of current Krasnostav) mentioned in first time in 1386. Krasnostav became a city at June 2, 1573. So we can assume that first Jews appear here in XVI century. City get Magdeburg rights in 1616. In the beginning of XVII century there were 399 houses (now only 177)....

Read More

Berezdov

Posted by on Бер 23, 2013 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Berezdov is a village in the Slavuta district of Khmelnitsky region. In the XVI-XVIII centuries it was a Lutsk povit of Volyn province. Since 1793 – part of Russia Empire. In the XIX – early XX century Berezdovo (other titles is Berestov) was a mestechko of Novograd-Volynskiy yezd, Volyn province. Population in 2000 was 1437 persons. Beginning The earliest known Jewish community exist there in XVII century. In 1618, Krim Tartar abducted local residents. In 1765 there were 49 Jewish houses, in 1784 – 33, in 1787 – 29. From the middle of XIX rabbi was Avrom Stepansky, from 1880 rabbi was his son Chaim Stepansky (1854 -?). I didn’t find information about events in Berezdov during Revolution and Civil War. During the NEP trade and crafts have revived in Berezdov, dozens of private shops appeared on market square. Artisans were mainly Jews,...

Read More

Kilikiev

Posted by on Бер 21, 2013 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 1 comment

Kilikiev is a village in the Slavuta district of Khmelnitsky region. Since 1793 – in Russia Empire. In XIX – beginning XX century – mestechko Ostrozhskiy yezd of Volyn gubernia. Population in the beginning of XXI century – 863 persons. Kilikiev mentioned in archiv as a city at first time in 1596. The earliest known Jewish community was XVII century. In the end of XIX century there was a synagogue and Jewish cemetery. At the beginning of XX century Jews built the mill with a steam engine, which grind grain not only for locals but also people from surrounding villages. Bath was built in the center of the village (now Pershotravneva Str.) In 1914 all 3 grocery store belong to Jews. I didn’t find information about events in Kilikiev during Revolution and Civil War. Find only one document in JDC archiv here....

Read More

Annopol

Posted by on Бер 19, 2013 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Аннополь – Annopol (Russian), Ганнопіль (Ukrainian) Annopol (before 1761 – Glinniki), a village in the Slavutsky district, Khmelnitsky region. Settlement mentioned first time in 1602. Since 1793 became a part of Russia. In the XIX – early XX it was a mestechko in Ostrog yezd, Volyn guberniya. In 1923-1930 Annopol was a center of a district. Beginning Jews settled there in the XVII century. Since the 1770s Annopol played a prominent role in the Hasidism movement. In Annopol lived Dov-ber from Mezerich and his son Avrom “Ha-Malach” (“Angel”) (1741-1776, Fastow), who later became a Tzaddik in Fastov. Dov Ber ruled in religious communities of Rivne  and Mezhyrich, for which he received a title of Great Magid from Mezhirichi. For further spread of Hasidism to west tzadik Dov Ber chose Hannopil where lived a large Jewish community. He lived here 12 years,...

Read More

Chernobyl

Posted by on Гру 27, 2012 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Chernobyl – Чернобыль (Russian), טשערנאבל (Yiddish) צ’רנוביל (Hebrew) Chernobyl is a historic town located in Kiev region of northern Ukraine. Chernobyl is located on the Pripyat River, a tributary of the Dnieper. All population was evacuated in 1986 after nuclear disaster. Now in town located only few offices of “30km Exclusion Zone” and temporary stuff. Chernobyl became a part of Russia Empire in 1793, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was shtetl of Radomyshl Yezd of Kiev. Chernobyl is approx. 32 km from Radomyshl and in 280 km from Kiev. Beginning It had one of the oldest Jewish settlements in the  Ukraine, dating from the end of the 17th century (first mention in documents dated by 1193). It was originally under the jurisdiction of the Lithuanian Council and attached in 1710 to the Council of the Four Lands. In 1691 a Cossack gang...

Read More

Talne

Posted by on Лип 27, 2012 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 45 comments

Talna, Tolne, טאלנא (Yiddish),  Talne – Тальне – Tal’ne (Ukrainian), Talnoe – Тальное (Russian) Talne is a city in Cherkasy Oblast (province) of Ukraine. Beginning The Jews of Talne were mentioned for the first time in connection with Cossack pogroms when the local Jewish community was destroyed in 1768. In 1848, according to the census, the Jewish community of Talne consisted of 1,807 people, while in 1897, the Jewish population increased to 5,452 people (57%). In 1854, Rabbi David Tversky (1808—1882) arrived in the town, and the place became a centre for Hasidim. In 1910, a Talmud Torah existed in Talne, as well as a private Jewish college for men, a synagogue and four other prayer houses. The Talmud Torah was opened in 1889, and 59 people studied there at the expense of the community. In 1912 – the...

Read More

Polonnoe

Posted by on Лип 24, 2012 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 3 comments

Polna, Polonnoje, Polonna, Polonne, Polona (Yiddish), Połonne (Polish), Полонне (Ukrainian), Полонное – Polonnoe (Russian) Polonnoe, city (from 1938) in the Khmelnitski (Proskurov) district, Ukraine. Beginning Jews were mentioned in 1601, and by the middle of the century it was an important community in Volhynia. In 1648, the time of the Chmielnicki massacres, when the Cossack armies approached the town about 12,000 Jews found refuge in its fortress, defending themselves, together with Poles, against the enemy. When the Cossacks overran the town about 300 Jews gathered in the bet hamidrash  and, led by the kabbalist R. Samson Ostropoler, they wrapped themselves in their  tallits  and met death with a prayer on their lips. The number of dead in the town was estimated at 10,000. Jewish population of Polonnoe: 1847 – 2647 jews 1897 – 7910 (48,5%) 1910 – 15 257...

Read More

Belaya Tserkov

Posted by on Лип 10, 2012 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 2 comments

Shvartze Timme (Yiddish Transliteration), Белая Церковь – Belaia Tserkov, Belaya Tserkov (Russian), Біла Церква – Bila Tserkva (Ukrainian), שדה לבן (Hebrew) Belaya Tserkov is a historic city located in Kiev region of Central Ukraine, center of Belaya Tserkov district. Kozelets is located on the Ros’ River, a tributary of the Dnieper. The city’s estimated population is 212,090 (as of 2016). Belaya Tserkov became a part of Russia Empire in 1793, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was a shtetl of Vasylkov Yezd of Kiev Gubernia. Belaya Tserkov is approx. 85 km from Kiev, 38 km from Fastov and 37 km from Skvira. If you want help to Belaya Tserkov Jewish school “Mitzva-613”: in UAH: Р/С 26006060214751; ПАО КБ “Приватбанк”; МФО 321842; ЕДРПОУ 33519562 получатель НВК”Міцва-613″ in USD: Полное название: Branch #10026/0877 Main administration in city Kyiv and Kyiv area...

Read More

Kiev

Posted by on Чер 26, 2012 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Article don’t complited Киев – Kiev (Russian), Київ – Kyiv (Ukrainian), קיִעוו (Yiddish), קייב (Hebrew) Kiev or Kyiv is the capital and the largest city of Ukraine, located in the north central part of the country on the Dnieper River. Beginning Kiev’s central position on the river Dnipro at the commercial crossroads of Western Europe and the East attracted Jewish settlers (Rabbanites and Karaites) from the foundation of the town in the eighth century C.E. At first most of them were transient merchants from both east and west. According to letters dated 930 from the Cairo Genizah there were Jews in Kiev at this time. Ancient Russian chronicles relate that some Jews from Khazaria Visited Vladimir, the prince of Kiev, to try to convert him to Judaism (986). About that time a Jewish community already existed in the city. Jewish merchants from the West took part in...

Read More

Uman

Posted by on Чер 13, 2012 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 2 comments

Human (Hungarian), Humań (Polish), Imen, Human (Yiddish Transliteration), Умань (Ukrainian), Умань – Uman’ (Russian), אמואן (Yiddish) Uman is a city in Cherkassy region. How It Started A Jewish community appeared in Uman in the early 18th century. The first mention of Jews in Uman relates to the events of Haydamaks’ uprising. In 1749 the Haidamacks massacred many Jews of Uman and burned part of the town. In 1761, the owner of Uman, Earl Pototsky, rebuilt the city and established a market, at which time around 450 Jews were living in the city. During this time, Uman began to flourish both as a Jewish town and a trade centre. In 1768 Haidamacks annihilated the Jews of Uman, together with the Jews from other places who had sought refuge there. On June 19, 1788, the peasant revolutionary, Maxim Zheleznyak, marched on...

Read More

Cherkassy

Posted by on Чер 8, 2012 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 1 comment

 Cherkasy (Ukrainian: Черкаси, transliterated: Čerkasy, pronounced [tʃerˈkɑsɪ]) or Cherkassy (Russian: Черкасcы), is a city in central Ukraine. It is the capital of the Cherkasy Oblast. There have been Jews in Cherkassy for almost 500 years. Jews settled in the city in the 16th century. However it is known that Jews were in the city previously, from 1487-8, and from 1500. In 1581, Jewish wine merchants were beaten and robbed by Cossacks. In the days of the Decrees of 1647-8 – the Chmelnitsky massacres, Jews fled from the city. The massacres began in June 1648. As the Cossack leader approached the city, in 1664, the local population murdered the Jews and the Poles. After this, no Jews lived in the city until the end of the 17th century. The Jewish community re-appeared in the city at the beginning of the 18th century but suffered greatly from Haidamak attacks. Zhelezniak’s forces captured the...

Read More

Kanev

Posted by on Чер 8, 2012 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Kaniow (Polish), Канiв – Kaniv (Ukrainian), Канев – Kanev (Russian) KANIV, port on the Dnieper River in Сherkassy district, Ukraine. Beginning Jewish settlement began in the end of the 17th century or the beginning of the 18th. From 98 (including the surrounding villages) in 1765, the Jewish population grew to 1,635 in 1847 and 2,682 (30% of the total population) in 1897. In 1910, the town had a synagogue, two prayer houses, two male and one female government-sponsored schools. Before WWI most of the petty trade in town was in Jewish hands, all groceries and textile shops as well as others. In 1913 Vulf Moishevich Shteinvortsel was official Rabi. Kaniv entrepreneurs in 1913 (90% were Jews): Civil War pogroms The Jews of On November 6, 1917, local hoodlums ransacked many Jewish properties; this happened again in the beginning of...

Read More

Chyhyryn

Posted by on Чер 8, 2012 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Chyhyryn or Chigirin is a city and important historic site located in Cherkasy Oblast of central Ukraine. From 1648 to 1669 the city was a Hetman capital of Cossack Hetmanate and a traditional place for the appointment to the office of Hetman of Zaporizhian Host. The Chronicles of Nathan Hannover mention that during the middle of the XVII century, the tenant in Chyhyryn was a Jew named Zacharia Sobilenko. According to one hypothesis, the Jewish tavern was more successful than the tavern of Captain Bohdan Khmelnitsky and this became the cause of his hatred toward Jews and the brutal massacres of Jewish communities. During Khmelnitsky’s uprising, the town became the Hetman’s residence and there was no Jewish population in the area. In the late 17th century, with the restoration of the Polish authorities, a small Jewish community emerged in...

Read More

Chernihiv

Posted by on Кві 10, 2012 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Cernigovas (Lithuanian), Charnihau (Belarusian), Czernihów (Polish), Tschernigow (German), Tshernigov (Yiddish), Чернигов – Chernigov (Russian), Чернігів (Ukrainian) Chernigov is a historic city in northern Ukraine. It is the administrative center of the Chernihiv Oblast, as well as of the surrounding Chernihiv district within the oblast. Beginning In the first half of the tenth century, Chernihiv was part of the lands which paid tribute to the Khazar Empire. During this period, Khazar Jews settled in the city. In the XIth century, a Jewish community was established in Chernihiv. During the existence of the Principality of Chernihiv (1054 – 1239), the city was a centre of Jewish scholarship. A number of Jewish sources from the XIIIth century, for example, respons of Rabbi Yitzhak (England) mention Rabbi Itsh (Yitzhak) from Chernihiv. In 1239, the city was destroyed by the Tatar Mongols. In 1611,...

Read More

Nezhin

Posted by on Бер 5, 2012 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Niezyn (Hungarian), Nizyn (German), Niżyn (Polish), Нежин – Nezhin (Russian), Ніжин (Ukrainian) NEZHIN , city in Chernigov district, Ukraine. Beginning It is difficult to assume when Jews first appeared in Nezhin. It might have been in the XVII century. Nezhin was one of the centers of Cossacks’ fighting against the Polish under Khmelnitskiy’s leadership. It is clear that Nezhin’s early Jewish community was during the uprising of 1648-1651. This was long period of the civil war and internal strife in Left-Bank Ukraine known as The Ruin. Because of this Nezhin’s Jewish population was only able to reestablish itself in the late XVIII century. The Hasidic Tzadik Dov Ber of Lubavich, the son of Shneur Zalman of Lyady, the “middle rabbi” of Chabad Hasidism, died and was interred in Nezhin in 1827. The town became a center for the Chabad...

Read More

Priluki

Posted by on Лют 19, 2012 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 44 comments

Pryłuki (Polish), Прилуки (Ukrainian), Прилуки – Priluki (Russian), פרילוקי (Hebrew), פּריłוקי(Yiddish) If your ancestors are Myasnikov from Priluki (or you have some information about them) – please contact me. It is possible that we are relatives 🙂 Priluki is a city in Chernigov district, Ukraine. Priluki is a historic town located in Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine, center of Prilutskiy raion (not to be confused with Old Priluka – a village in Vinnitsa district, former shtetl). Priluki is located on the Udai River, a tributary of the Sula. The city’s estimated population is 61,600 (as of 2005). Beginning Priluki first appears in historical record in 1085. The settlement was founded initially as border post during the time of Yaroslav Mudriy. In 1569-1648 Priluki was a part of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. In the 17th century the Cossacks took part in...

Read More