Pages Navigation Menu

Romny

Posted by on Гру 1, 2013 in Sumy region | 1 comment

Rommy, Romen, Ромни (Ukrainian), Ромны – Romny (Russian) Romny is a city in the northern Ukrainian Oblast of Sumy. It is located on the Romen River and is the administrative center of the Romny Raion. The villages of Lutschky (438 inhabitants), Kolisnykove (43 inhabitants) and Hrabyne belong to the Romny city administration. Beginning The beginnings of a Jewish community date from the 18th century. In 1803 there were 127 Jews in the town, and in 1847 the Jews numbered 759. The community developed rapidly after the opening of the Romny-Libava railway line (1874), which became one of the important trade arteries of western Russia. From 1863 to 1901, Eliezer Arlosorof served as the local rabbi. Tensions arising from economic competition between Jews and Christians resulted in pogrom in 1881. In 1897 there were 6,378 Jews in Romny (28.3% of the total population); on the eve of World War...

Read More

Konotop

Posted by on Лип 13, 2012 in Sumy region | 1 comment

Konotop is a city in northern Ukraine within the Sumy Oblast. Beginning At the beginning of the 19th century, only about 80 Jews lived in Konotop, but by 1847 the number had grown to 521. Jewish life in the town during the 19th century is described in memoirs by Pauline Wengerof, who lived there for some years. The numbers increased considerably during the second half of the 19th century as a result of the movement of Jews from the northwestern provinces of the *Pale of Settlement to the southeastern ones, reaching 4,426 (23.5% of the total population) in 1897. In 1892 there was Jewish Hospital. From the 1880 rabbi was Arie-Leib Gaft. Konotop businessmans in 1903: In the end of 19th – beginning 20th century there were 3 synagogues and 3 heders (for 13 boys), Talmud-Tora (for 50 boys) and Jewish school for...

Read More