Pages Navigation Menu

Norinsk

Posted by on Jan 6, 2018 in Shtetls, Zhytomyr region | 0 comments

Norinsk is a village in the Ovruch district, Zhitomir region (Ukraine), first recorded in 1545. In the XVI-XVIII centuries, it was a shtetl in the Ovruch district of the Volyn voivodship in the Commonwealth of Lithuania. In 1793, it became part of the Russian Empire and until early XX century, it remained a shtetl of Ovruch uezd in the Volyn gubernia. According to the 2001 census, its population is 1,360 people. Some information in this article was provided by Aleksandr Efman. He was born in Norinsk before the war and has been living in Ovruch since 1955. In 1847, 566 Jews lived in Norinsk, in 1897, this number went up to 584 (34.7%), in 1923, to 329. Jews have been living in Norinsk since the XVIII century. The Jews of Norinsk were mainly engaged in different crafts, retail trade,...

Read More

Horodnytsa

Posted by on Jan 6, 2018 in Shtetls, Zhytomyr region | 0 comments

Horodnytsa is a town in Novograd-Volynskyi district of the Zhitomir region. Its population was 5,470 in 2011. Before the revolution of 1917, Horodnytsa was a small town in the Novograd-Volynskiy uyezd of the Volin gubernia. Horodnytsa is situated on the River Sluch, 42 km northwest of Novohrad-Volynskyi and 121 km northwest of Zhytomyr. The small town initially belonged to the Korecki family and from 1651 – to Princes Chartoryski. In 1810 it passed to Princes Lubomirski, and in 1856 – to Waclaw Rulikowski. We don’t know for sure when the Jews first arrived in Horodnytsa. We can only assume that it was sometime in the XVII century. In the XIX century, the history of Horodnytsa was connected to the local faience and porcelain factory, which was established by Prince Jozef Chartoryski in Korets in 1799 but moved to Horodnytsia in...

Read More

Korosten

Posted by on Jan 1, 2018 in Shtetls, Zhytomyr region | 0 comments

Искорость – Iskorost’ (Russian), Коростень – Korosten’ (Ukrainian) Korosten (Iskorosten – by 1923) is a town, a district center in Zhitomir region. Since the 14th century it has been incorporated into the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Since 1569 it has been a part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Since 1793 – a part of the Russian Empire. In the XIX – early XX centuries it was a shtetl of Ovruch uyezd, Volyn gubernia. Beginning Jews in Korosten were first mentioned in 965. In the mid-XVII century, Cossack squads of Bogdan Khmelnitskiy almost completely destroyed Jewish population of Korosten. A Jewish community was reborn in the XVIII century. In 1865, there were two synagogues in Korosten. In the XIX century, the construction of the Warsaw – Kiev – St Petersburg railroad line contributed to the demographic and economic growth of the settlement. In...

Read More

Veledniki

Posted by on Nov 25, 2017 in Shtetls, Zhytomyr region | 0 comments

Novi Velidnyky (English), Wieledniki (Polish), Новые Веледники – Novye Veledniki (Russian) Veledniki is a village in the Ovruch district, Zhitomir region. The village’s estimated population is 783 (as of 2001). The settlement dates back to 1545. In the XVI-XVIII centuries it was in the Ovruch povet (district), Volyn voivodship of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1793, it was incorporated into the Russian Empire. In the XIX-early XX centuries, it was a shtetl Veledniki of Ovruch uyezd, Volyn governorship. Beginning First Jews settled in Novyye Veledniki in the XVII century. In the early XIX century, Veledniki was the center of Khasidism in the Volyn region. In the XIX-early XX centuries, small-scale crafts and trade were the main occupations of the Jewish population. Jewish population of Veledniki: 1897 – 659 (50%) 1924 – 427 Jews (24%) 2000’s – 0 In the late XIX century, there were...

Read More

Malin

Posted by on Nov 19, 2017 in Shtetls, Zhytomyr region | 0 comments

Malin is a historic city located in Zhytomyr region, center of Malin district. The city’s estimated population is 26,934  (as of 2013). In 1793, when Poland was divided for the second time, the town of Malin became part of Russia. Four years later, in 1797, government authorities formally incorporated Malin into the Radomishl district of Kiev Gubernia. Although the first mention of Jews in Malin was in 1784, many historians believe the community existed earlier. By the late XIX century, records show a synagogue, two Jewish prayer houses and a Jewish hospital there. In addition, we know that a Jew named Yakov Rabinovich and his brother Aron owned a furniture factory, dairy farms, and a dairy plant. At the turn of the century Nakhum Vaisblat (born in Narodichi in 1864) ,became a rabbi in Malin. Researchers have found references to his popularity, due...

Read More

Korostyshev

Posted by on Apr 9, 2017 in Shtetls, Zhytomyr region | 0 comments

Korosteszow (Polish), Korostysiv, Коростишів (Ukrainian), Коростышев – Korostyshev (Russian) Korostyshev, is a town and district center in Zhitomir region. It was founded in 1471 and was included into the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Since 1569 it was a town in Zhitomir county, Kiev voivodeship (province) in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1793 it was incorporated into the Russian Empire. In XIX – early XX centuries, it was a shtetl in Radomysl district, Kiev province. Beginning Jews have been living in Korostyshev since XVI century. In 1602, a synagogue was functioning there. Jewish population of Korostyshev: 1765 – 316 Jews 1847 – 2657 Jews 1897 – 4160 (53% of total) 1926 – 3017 (37%) 1939 – 2170 (19%) 1989 – 215 1995 – 70 In 1772, the kahal paid 1,240 zloty of poll tax. The kahal was the third largest in...

Read More

Novograd-Volynskiy

Posted by on Oct 4, 2016 in Shtetls, Zhytomyr region | 0 comments

Novograd-Volynskiy, Novogradvolynsk, Novograd-Volynsk (Alternative Name), Zvihil, Zvil, Zvehil, זוויל ,זוועהיל, Zvhil (Yiddish), Новоград-Волинський (Ukrainian), נובוהרד-וולינסקי (Hebrew), Zwiahel (Polish), Новоград-Волынский   Novograd-Volynskiy is a historic city located in Zhytomir region, center of Novograd-Volynskiy district. Novograd-Volynskiy is located on the Sluch River, a tributary of the Goryn. The city’s estimated population is 56,155 (as of 2016). Before 1925 it was a сenter of Novograd-Volynskiy yezd, Volyn guberniya. City was mentioned first time in 1257 as Vozvyagel and was renamed to Novograd-Volynskiy after third Poland partition in 1795. Before 1795, city was named Zvyagel.   All information for this article was provided by local historian Leonid Kogan (koganzvil@yandex.com) who research Novograd-Volinskiy Jewish history for more than 20 years. Leonid translated into Russian memorial book “Zvil” (Novograd-Volynsk) which was published in Yiddish and in Hebrew in Israel, in 1962. You can download book here. Beginning First Jews...

Read More

Berdichev

Posted by on Apr 7, 2014 in Shtetls, Zhytomyr region | 4 comments

Barditchev (Yiddish), Berdyczow (Polish), Бердичев – Berdichev (Russian), Бердичів (Ukrainian) Berdychiv is a historic city in the Zhytomyr Oblast. How it all began Jews were first mentioned in Berdichev in 1593. Towards the mid-eighteenth century, the city became one of the main Jewish centers of Ukraine, earning the esteemed title “Jerusalem of Volhynia.” From 1785, Berdichev was home to Rabbi Levi Yitzhak of Berdichev, a prominent Hassidic leader, as well as Rabbi Yitzhak Ber Levinzon, a famous advocate of Jewish Enlightenment. In 1797, prince Radziwill granted seven Jewish cloth merchants the monopoly of the cloth trade in Berdichev. In 1798, a Jewish printing press was established in the city, one of the greatest in Russia. The ideas of enlightenment (Haskalah) began to spread in Berdichev early in the 19th century, especially among the wealthier families. The Galician Haskalah pioneer...

Read More

Narodichi

Posted by on Sep 25, 2013 in Shtetls, Zhytomyr region | 1 comment

Naroditch (Yiddish), Народичи – Narodichi (Russian), Народичі – Narodychi (Ukrainian) Narodichi is a district center in the Zhytomyr region. It is known from the XV century. In the XVI-XVIII centuries it was in the Ovruch uezd of Kiev province within the Commonwealth, which became a part of the Russian Empire in 1793. In the XIX to early XX century, it was a shtetl in the Ovruch district of Volyn province. Beginning The first mention of a Jewish community in Narodichi was in 1683.  In 1875 the chief rabbi of Narodichi was Elia-Leib Juravel (1847 – ? ). The main occupations of the Jewish population in XIX-early XX century were crafts and trade. Jews owned the only pharmacy, the two bakeries, all 9 hotels, a mill and 44 shops in Narodichi. They also owned all 24 grocery shops, all 3 butcher shops, all...

Read More

Radomyshl

Posted by on Sep 1, 2013 in Shtetls, Zhytomyr region | 2 comments

Radomishel (Yiddish), Radomishl, Radomyszl, Radomyschl (German), Radomyshl’ (Ukrainian), Radomysl’ (Russian), Radomyśl (Polish) Radomyshl is a historic city in the Zhytomyr Oblast (province) of northern Ukraine. It is the administrative center of the Radomyshl Raion (district), and is located on the left bank of Teteriv River, a right tributary of Dnieper River. In 1897 Radomyshl was a city with large Jewish community – 7502 persons (69% of total population) which is one of the biggest in Kiev Gubernia after Berdichev (41617 Jews), Kiev (31801 Jews), Uman (17943 Jews), Belaya Tserkov (18720 Jews), Cherkassy (10950 Jews) and Skvira (8908). Jewish places in Radomyshl: Beginning Jews have lived in Radomyshl since XVI century. During the Khmelnytsky upraising was plunder and Jewish population exterminated. After this Jews began to settle in Radomyshl only in first part of XVIII century. In 1750 Haidamak’s squad ransacked house of Jewish tenant. In 1754 Radomyshl was plunder again – Jewish shops...

Read More

Baranovka

Posted by on Jul 7, 2013 in Zhytomyr region | 0 comments

Baranovka (Russian), Baranówka (Polish), Баранівка (Ukrainian), Барановка – Baranovka (Russian) Baranovka, a city (since 2001), the district center in Zhytomyr region. This settlement was known from 1565. In the XVI-XVIII centuries it was Volyn province town in the Commonwealth. Since 1793 Baranovka became a part of Russia Empire. In the XIX – early XX century – a shtetl in Novograd-Volynskiy district in Volyn guberniya. Beginning In 1802 on the left bank of the Sluch river, near Baranovka, was found kaolin deposit. French entrepreneur Moser bought land and established a porcelain factory here. Till the beginning of WWII many Jews worked on this factory. Jewish population of Baranovka: 1847 – 893 jews 1897 – 1990 (95%) 1923 – 1100 jews 1926 – 1602 (29.9%) 1939 – 1447 (23%) 1989 – 44 jews 1998 – 3 jewish families 2014 – 13...

Read More