Kadlubitsa is a former Jewish colony, now it is a part of Fastov, Kiev region. Before Revolution it was a Jewish agricultural colony in Vasilkov district, Kiev province. Since 1925, it’s been Kadlubitsa Jewish National village council of Fastov district, Belaya-Tserkov region.
Information for this article was collected with the help of Fastov local historian Vladimir Dorosenko.
Kadlubitsa was founded in 1850 as an agricultural colony by Jews from Fastov. According to a local legend, the name ‘Kadlubitsa’ comes from the word ‘kadosh’ (Hebrew – sacred).
There were 29 households, 434 residents (207 men and 227 women) in 1900. Their main occupation was grain production. Some local Jews were engaged in trade and reselling goods, visiting fairs at nearby villages and towns.
Jewish family Sheynis, Kadlubitsa Jewish colony, 1914
Jewish population of Kadlubitsa:
1859 – 430 Jews
1896 – 826 Jews
1906 – 510 Jews
1931 – 515 Jews
1960’s ~ 50 Jews
2016 – 1 Jews
In total, the colony had nearly 1,047 acres of arable land, which was owned by the local “colonists’ society”.
In 1900, a synagogue was functioning in Kadlubitsa.
In 1904, Mirim Nayshtut got the permission to build “the appliance for lard smelting at the Kadlubitsa colony”.
No Jewish cemetery was allocated to the colonists, so the one in Fastov had to be used. Before 1917, Kadlubitsa boasted 65 houses.
In September 1919, a pogrom happened in the colony. It was organized by the units of Voluntary Army, and 23 Jews were killed as a result, with seven Jewish orphans taken into the families of the peasants from nearby villages, which gave those peasants access to the colonists’ land. All buildings were burnt down.
Group of colonists in Kadlubitsa after the pogrom, 1919
Between the Wars
In the early 1920s, the colony was rebuilt, with the works funded by the JOINT (Jewish Joint Distribution Committee). Over 50 houses were built, some of them typical American houses lining both sides of the road.
Photos of Kadlubitsa from JDC Archive:
Colonists relax after work
Trees mark the garden where a colonist’s house once stood
Colonists pose for a group portrait near a new house being built
The total cost of the work was $18,000.
Jewish village council in Kadlubitsa, 1930. Chaim-Berl Shapiro (1880, Kadlubitsa – 1934, Fastov) is a second from right (standing).
During the same period, there was a primary school in Kadlubitsa.
Chaim-Berl Shapiro (1880, Kadlubitsa – 1934, Fastov) with daughter Anna in Fastov, around 1925. Chaim’s wife was killed during pogrom in 1919. Anna emmigrated to USA in 1930’s. Courteously Ilay Shapiro
In 1929, a Jewish collective farm “Roiter poyer” (“The Red Plowman”) was founded. The residents of Kadlubytsya and surrounding villages worked at this collective farm, registered at Chapaeva Str., 256.
The family of stable man I.Tsygan of the Royter Poyer Collective farm on the way to a 1-May demonstration
Jewish collective farm in 1938
On July 20, 1941, the colony was occupied by the Wehrmacht.
Some Kadlubitsa residents managed to safely drive their cattle away from the area before the occupation. Among those who did so was Yakov Moiseevich Shliak.
16 Jews who remained in the village were shot at the edge of the woods in late autumn 1941. The bodies were piled into a shallow grave as the ground was already frozen, and, as the spring arrived, one could see streams of blood running down the hillock. On this place, Germans killed Jewish children from Fastov and refugees from Zhitomir.
Kadlubitsa Jews were killed on this site
A local Pole Vladimir Yasvenov saved a Jewish girl called Anna, I was not able to discover any[Y1] further details of this event.
After the war, a large concrete memorial with no inscription to commemorate the dead was erected there.
After the war, most Jews returned to the colony from evacuation.
Sasha Elbert with the help of some locals recovered the bodies of Kadlubitsa residents from Holocaust mass grave and moved them from the woods to the Jewish cemetery where their ancestors rest. He had son Davyd and grandson Petia.
Fastov Jewish historian Vladimir Boroshenko (1930-2015) near the grave of Kadlubitsa Holocaust victims on Fastov Jewish cemetery
Former Jewish collective farm “Roiter poyer”
In 2016, I managed to locate a list of post-war Jewish residents of the colony which was created by head of street committee:
Kirka Khava Praysman
Samoil Lvovych Shapiro, his sons Izia, Sasha (emigrated to Israel), and Lionia (currently living in Canada)
Hanna Shmulivna Yasvenova;
Liolik Rozenvaser, his sister Klara;
Moysha Tryliskyy, his daughters Zhenia, Tania
Sasha Elbert, lived in village Ofirna, in 1980 went abroad.
Shmelkin owned a large estate; his land was on the other side of pond, people called it “Vishenky”– “cherries”.
Salganik had a large household and his own creamery
Yoska (surname is unknown)
Naum and Borys Shapiro
Khaskil and Rakhilia Nayshtuk, their children Borys and Liova
Borys Salhanik, their children Hrisha and Basia
Basia, Sonia, Roza Vilchyk
Yakov Saliovych Shmelkyn, his wife Rakhilia, their daughter Sonia
Liza Mohylnytska, children Raya, Olia
Khanusia Honopolska, her son Khrum
Brushka (surname is unknown)
Mitia Sruliovych Khirman
Ika Hraysman, sisters Liusia, Mika
Udlia Shliak, grandson Yakiv Muysiyovych
Roza and Elik Polyovyy
Illia and Buzia Praysman
Mutsyk and Khanna Kizikov
In 2016, there was living only one last Jew…
This house was build for JOINT money in 1920’s and rebuilt in XXI century, 2016
Both lists were find and published by Fastov local historian Vladimir Dorosenko.
The list of colony residents of 1858 with the number of the dependents:
Chaim Berkvich Zhitomirskiy (12), Berko Gershkovich Reyzenvaser (17), Avrum Khaskelev Karelshtein (18), Duvid Yankeliyevich Kaminik (11), Kelman-Srul Leybovich Nayshtut (10), Shaya-Ios Berkovich Elberuv (20), Shlema Yankolevich Kaminnik (10), Moshko Zelmanovich Markman (14), Zus’ Shlemov Kasminnik (6), Volko Kelmanovich Reyzenvaser (10), Shulim Berkovich Zhitomirskiy (6), Moshko Srulevich Nayshtut (18), Chaim-Gdal Gershkovich Shapira (15), Duvid Moshkov Shilshtut (16), Shimon Zelmanovich Tarnopolskiy (21), Leyba Shoyvich Bilinskiy (11), Mordko Berkovich Shliak (22), Srul Davidov Shapira (11), Shmirel Duvidovich Brodskiy (5), Leyba Moshkovich Markman (8), Elia Gendzemovich Ribalskiy (10), Chaim Shneyerovich Ayzemberg (28), Nuta-Bir Shayovich Brodskiy (16), Khaskel Borukhovich Kagan (25), Gershko Volkovich Giberman (13), Moshko-Aron-Srul Yankilievich Rovinskiy (7), Elia Itskov Mizikov (8), Chaim-Leyb Shimonovich Levis (18), Khaykel Shmulievich Kagan (24), Yankel Gershkovich Mazur (12), Elia Moshkovich Smoliarengko (8). In total, 430.
Pound in Kadlubitsa, 2016
Below is the list of the Jewish families residing in Kadlubitsa colony in 1897 with the number of the dependents:
Blinder, Brodskiy (2), Wayntrob, Vinokur, Godik, Dubinskiy, Dubovich, Zhitomirskiy (2), Itskovskiy, Kagan, Kaminik, Korelshteyn (2), Kukis, Lipets, Lipnitskiy, Markman (3), Nayshtut (8), Novakovskiy, Pechenyy, Pokras, Praysman, Ravich, Rovner, Rozenberg, Rozenvaser (2), Rybalskiy, Smoliarenko, Tarnapolskiy, Fastovskiy, Tsarovskiy, Shapira (3), Shilshtut (3), Shults, Ayzenberg (3), Akselrud, Belilovskiy, Ben’, Brodskiy 3, Vinitskiy, Goldshmid, Kagan 7, Margulis, Markman (2), Mizikov (4), Nayshtut (3), Ostropolskiy, Pokroshevskiy, Praysman, Reyzenvaser (2), Rovinskiy (2), Rybalskiy, Salganik (3), Tsygan, Shapira, Shliak (4), Shmelkin, Shmilkin, Shteinberg