Pages Navigation Menu

Last added Shtetls

Shpola

Posted by on 5-14-18

Torgovitsa

Posted by on 4-24-18

Luginy

Posted by on 4-21-18

Slovechno

Posted by on 4-11-18

More From Shtetls

We are on Facebook

Most Recent Articles

Horodnytsa

Posted by on Jan 6, 2018 in Shtetls, Zhytomyr region | 0 comments

Horodnytsa is a town in Novograd-Volynskyi district of the Zhitomir region. Its population was 5,470 in 2011. Before the revolution of 1917, Horodnytsa was a small town in the Novograd-Volynskiy uyezd of the Volin gubernia. Horodnytsa is situated on the River Sluch, 42 km northwest of Novohrad-Volynskyi and 121 km northwest of Zhytomyr. The small town initially belonged to the Korecki family and from 1651 – to Princes Chartoryski. In 1810 it passed to Princes Lubomirski, and in 1856...

Read More

Korosten

Posted by on Jan 1, 2018 in Shtetls, Zhytomyr region | 0 comments

Искорость – Iskorost’ (Russian), Коростень – Korosten’ (Ukrainian) Korosten (Iskorosten – by 1923) is a town, a district center in Zhitomir region. Since the 14th century it has been incorporated into the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Since 1569 it has been a part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Since 1793 – a part of the Russian Empire. In the XIX – early XX centuries it was a shtetl of Ovruch uyezd, Volyn gubernia. Beginning Jews in Korosten were first mentioned in...

Read More

Medvedovka

Posted by on Dec 20, 2017 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Medvedovka (Yiddish Transliteration), Медведовка, Medvedovka (Russian) Medvedovka is a village in Chigirin district, Cherkassy region. In the XVI-XVII centuries it was a part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, in the early XVII century it got Magdeburg Rights, and from 1793 it was incorporated into the Russian Empire. In the XIX-early XX centuries it was a shtetl of Chigirin Uyezd, Kiev Gubernia.   In 1790 an 18-year-old rabbi, Rebbe Nachman and his family, settled in Medvedevka  surrounded by numerous Hassidim. In...

Read More

Pokotilovo

Posted by on Dec 17, 2017 in Kirovohrad region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Pokotilovo is a village in the Novoarkhangelsk district of the Kirovograd region in the Ukraine.  In the XIX and XX centuries, however, it was considered a shtetl in the Uman Uyezd, and part of Kiev province. Beginning According to historians, the first Jews settled in Pokotilovo in the XVIII century. By 1897, more than half of its residents were Jewish. Reports differ on the number of synagogues or prayer houses that existed during the XIX century.  Some say two;...

Read More

Vasilkov

Posted by on Dec 3, 2017 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 1 comment

Vasilkov is a city in Kiev region with a population, as of 2013, of 36,672. Vasilkov was incorporated into the Russian Empire in 1686 and belonged to the Kiev-Pechersk Monastery till 1785. In 1796, it became a center of the Vasilkov uyezd of Kiev gubernia. In 1648, Vasilkov was conquered by chmielnicki’s cossacks who massacred its inhabitants, Jews and Poles alike. Since Vasilkov was annexed to Russia in 1686 no Jewish community existed there until the second partition of Poland...

Read More

Rotmistrovka

Posted by on Dec 3, 2017 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Rachmastrivka, ראחמסטריווקא (Yiddish), Rotmistrzowka (Polish), Ротмистровка, Rotmistrovka (Russian) Rostmistrivka is a village in the Smiliansky district, Cherkassy region. Its population was 2,156 people in 2001. Before the revolution, Rotmistrovka was a shtetl of Cherkassy uyezd, Kiev guberniya. In 1905, it had two synagogues. A Jewish community appeared in Rotmistrivka in the XVII century. In 1863, the population of the town consisted of 1,946 Christians and 965 Jews. According to the census of 1897, 4,823 people lived in Rotmistrivka, including...

Read More

Kagarlik

Posted by on Nov 28, 2017 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Kagarlik has been a town since 1971, a district center of Kiev region. It’s history goes back to 1590. In the XVII – XVIII centuries Kagarlik was a part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Kagarlik was incorporated into the Russian Empire since 1793. In the XIX and early XX centuries, it was a shtetl of Kiev uiezd, Kiev gubernia. Part of the information for this article was provided by Lubov Petrovna Tkachenko, who had been the head of the Kagarlik...

Read More