Pages Navigation Menu

Medzhibozh

Posted by on Чер 3, 2014 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Międzybóż (Polish),  Меджибіж (Ukrainian), Меджибож – Medzhibozh (Russian), מעזשביזש, Mezbizh (Yiddish) Medzibozh, a small town in the Khmelnitsky district (former Kamenets-Podolski district), Ukraine; until 1793 a part of Poland and then a part of the Russian Empire until 1917 it came under the jurisdiction of the province of Podolia.. Beginning Medzibozh Jewish community is one of the oldest in Ukraine, a Jewish community here is mentioned in the Polish sources dating back to 1509 when a Medzhibozh Jew called Liberman was appointed as a tax collection supervisor. Jewish gravestones from the first half of the 16th century in what is now called the Old Jewish Cemetery also indicate the presence of the Jews in Medzibozh in the medieval period. 1571 census recorded the population of Medzibozh as being made up of 95 Ruthenians, 35 Jews, and 30 Poles. At...

Read More

Kamenets-Podolski

Posted by on Тра 24, 2014 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 1 comment

Kamenets-Podolski, a town in the Khmelnitski district of Ukraine and a district capital until the 1950s. The area was under the Lithuanian control from the 14th century, and remained so after the unification of Poland and Lithuania in 1569, except for a short but formative period of the Ottoman rule between 1672 and 1699; the territory passed to Russia in 1795, and from then on until the Revolution of 1917 Kamenets-Podolski remained the capital of the province of Podolia. The roots of Kamenets-Podolski Jewish community For a long time the municipality of Kamenets-Podolski prevented any attempts of the local Jews to settle in this important trading and commerce center in the southeastern Poland-Lithuania. In 1447 any Jews were prohibited from staying here for more than three days. In 1598 King Sigismund III prohibited Jews from settling in the city...

Read More

Dunaevtsy

Posted by on Кві 12, 2014 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 11 comments

Dinewitz, Dinovits, Dunivits, Dunayevitz, Dinovitz (Yiddish), Dunajevcy, Dunaivci, Dunaivtsi, Dunaje, Dunajowce (Polish), Дунаевцы – Dunaevtsy (Russian), Дунаївці (Ukrainian) Dunaevtsy is the capital city of Dunaevtsy Region, Khmelnytskyi Oblast, Ukraine. The city is located on the river Ternavka, 22 km from the Dunaevtsy railway station and 68 km from the town of Khmelnytsky. As of 2001, the population of Dunaevtsy was 16,448 (2001). Jewsh community of Dunaevtsy need help! At the World War II, the old Jewish cemetery in Dunaevtsy was damaged. The stones have been taken off from the graves and used for pavements and roads. Some of these stones were found during the reconstruction of the town and brought to the local Jewish community and then to the Jewish cemetery. They are there in the grass now. Jewish community of the town of Dunaevtsy, Khmelnitsky region appeals to...

Read More

Berdichev

Posted by on Кві 7, 2014 in Shtetls, Zhytomyr region | 4 comments

Barditchev (Yiddish), Berdicev (Romanian), Berditchev, Berditchov, Berditschew, Berdytschiw, Berdyczów (Polish), Бердичев – Berdichev (Russian), Бердичів (Ukrainian) Berdychiv is a historic city in the Zhytomyr Oblast. How it all began Jews were first mentioned in Berdichev in 1593. Towards the mid-eighteenth century, the city became one of the main Jewish centers of Ukraine, earning the esteemed title “Jerusalem of Volhynia.” From 1785, Berdichev was home to Rabbi Levi Yitzhak of Berdichev, a prominent Hassidic leader, as well as Rabbi Yitzhak Ber Levinzon, a famous advocate of Jewish Enlightenment. In 1797, prince Radziwill granted seven Jewish cloth merchants the monopoly of the cloth trade in Berdichev. In 1798, a Jewish printing press was established in the city, one of the greatest in Russia. The ideas of enlightenment (Haskalah) began to spread in Berdichev early in the 19th century, especially among the...

Read More

Romny

Posted by on Гру 1, 2013 in Sumy region | 1 comment

Rommy, Romen, Ромни (Ukrainian), Ромны – Romny (Russian) Romny is a city in the northern Ukrainian Oblast of Sumy. It is located on the Romen River and is the administrative center of the Romny Raion. The villages of Lutschky (438 inhabitants), Kolisnykove (43 inhabitants) and Hrabyne belong to the Romny city administration. Beginning The beginnings of a Jewish community date from the 18th century. In 1803 there were 127 Jews in the town, and in 1847 the Jews numbered 759. The community developed rapidly after the opening of the Romny-Libava railway line (1874), which became one of the important trade arteries of western Russia. From 1863 to 1901, Eliezer Arlosorof served as the local rabbi. Tensions arising from economic competition between Jews and Christians resulted in pogrom in 1881. In 1897 there were 6,378 Jews in Romny (28.3% of the total population); on the eve of World War...

Read More

Bobrovytsia

Posted by on Лис 9, 2013 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Bobrovitza (Yiddish), Bobrowica (Polish), Bobrowyzja (German), Бобровица – Bobrovitsa (Russian), Бобровиця (Ukrainian). Bobrovytsia is a city (since 1958) in Chernihiv region of Ukraine. Population is 11,916 (2001). Before Revolution it was a town of Kozelec Uezd, Chernigov Gubernia. Beginning The earliest known Jewish community was first half of 19th century. Jewish prayer house was opened here in 1869 but I haven’t find information when it was closed and in what building was situated.  In 1875 there was registered only one Jewish marriage: Zelik Berkov Resnik and Beila-Enta Sruleva Altshuler. In Chernigov Archiv stored documents about Bobrovitsa rabbi’s electing in 1889. It gives interesting details about small Jewish community in the end of XIX century. In that year rabbi became Abraham Getselev Tseitlin, gabay – Mezhirov Berko Mihelev, treasurer – Eliyash Epshtein. In same document  mentioned next Bobrovitsya Jews: Shevel and Moses Volinskie,...

Read More

Bratslav

Posted by on Лис 9, 2013 in Vinnytsia region | 2 comments

Bracław (Polish), Bratzlav, Bratslaw, Brazlaw, Braclav, Broslev, בראָסלעוו (Yiddish), Браслав – Braslav (Formerly), Брацлав (Ukrainian), Брацлав – Bratslav (Russian) Bratslav is a townlet in Ukraine, located in the Nemyriv Raion of Vinnytsia Oblast, by the Southern Bug river. It is a medieval European city which dramatically lost its importance during the 19th-20th centuries. Beginning Bratslav was founded in 1362 by duke of Lithuania Algirdas. A Jew leased the collection of customs duties in Bratslav in 1506, and it appears that a Jewish settlement developed in the town from that time. In 1545 the Jews were exempted from the construction of roads “so that they could travel on their commercial affairs.” The Jews underwent much suffering during the attacks of the Tatars on the town during the 16th century (especially in 1551). At the beginning of the 17th century, commercial relations were...

Read More

Narodichi

Posted by on Вер 25, 2013 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Naroditch (Yiddish), Naroditschi (German), Narodychi (English), Narodyci, Bolshie Narodichi, Narodycze (Polish), Народичи – Narodichi (Russian), Народичі – Narodychi (Ukrainian) Narodichi has been classified as a city since 1958. It is a regional center in the Zhytomyr region of Ukraine. It is known from the XV century. In the XVI-XVIII centuries it was a shtetl in the Ovruch povit of Kyiv province within the Commonwealth, which became a part of the Russian Empire in 1793. In the XIX to early XX century it was in the Ovruch district of Volyn province. In the 1930‘s it was the center of the Jewish national district. Beginning The first mention of a Jewish community in Narodichi was in 1683.  In 1875 the chief rabbi of Narodichi was Elia-Leib Juravel (1847 – ? ). The main occupations of the Jewish population in XIX – early...

Read More

Radomyshl

Posted by on Вер 1, 2013 in Shtetls, Zhytomyr region | 1 comment

Radomishel (Yiddish), Radomishl, Radomyszl, Radomyschl (German), Radomyshl’ (Ukrainian), Radomysl’ (Russian), Radomyśl (Polish) Radomyshl is a historic city in the Zhytomyr Oblast (province) of northern Ukraine. It is the administrative center of the Radomyshl Raion (district), and is located on the left bank of Teteriv River, a right tributary of Dnieper River. In 1897 Radomyshl was a city with large Jewish community – 7502 persons (69% of total population) which is one of the biggest in Kiev Gubernia after Berdichev (41617 Jews), Kiev (31801 Jews), Uman (17943 Jews), Belaya Tserkov (18720 Jews), Cherkassy (10950 Jews) and Skvira (8908). Jewish places in Radomyshl: Beginning Jews have lived in Radomyshl since XVI century. During the Khmelnytsky upraising was plunder and Jewish population exterminated. After this Jews began to settle in Radomyshl only in first part of XVIII century. In 1750 Haidamak’s squad ransacked house of Jewish tenant. In 1754 Radomyshl was plunder again – Jewish shops...

Read More

Skvira

Posted by on Сер 20, 2013 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 7 comments

Skver, Skvir, Skwere (Yiddish Transliteration), Skwira (Polish), Сквира – Skvira (Russian), Сквира – Skvyra (Ukrainian), סקווירא (Yiddish) Skvyra is a town in the Kiev Oblast (province) of central Ukraine.  It is the administrative center of the Skvyrskyi Raion (district), and is currently a regional municipality. First Jewish inhabitants Jewish population of Skvyra: 1775 – 116 Jews 1847 – 2,184 Jews 1897 – 8,910 (49.5%) 1926 – 4,681 (33.6%) 1939 – 2,243 Jews 1950 ~ 1,000 Jews 1960 ~ 500 Jews 2009 ~ 120 Jews The ancient town of Skvyra was completely destroyed at the end of the 16th century. In 1736, Skvyra was mentioned as a village (selo) leased to a Jewish tenant. According to the census of 1765, there were 124 houses in Skvyra, 51 of which belonged to Jews. In 1775, 116 Jews lived in Skvyra, in 1784...

Read More

Boguslav

Posted by on Лип 30, 2013 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Bohsla (Yiddish), Boslw (German), Богуслав – Boguslav (Russian,Ukrainian) Boguslav is a city (since 1938), district center in the Kiev region. Since 1360 – in the Great Kingdom of Lithuania; since 1569 – city of Kiev povet and province in the Commonwealth. Beginning The first known instance of Jewish settlement in Bohuslav dates from the late 16th/early 17th century.Jewish population of Boguslav: 1765 – 574 jews 1847 — 5294 jews 1897 — 7445 (65,5%) 1910 — 14 236 (72%) 1926 — 6432 (53%) 1939 — 2230 jews 1989 — 179 jews 2004 – 50 jews The Jewish population of Bohuslav suffered during the Khmelnitsky pogroms in 1648, from the Cossack raids of 1702, and from the Haidamak pogroms in 1768. In 1765 in Bohuslav lived 574 Jews, in 1784 – 622 Jews. In 1789, the local population made a failed...

Read More

Mlinov

Posted by on Лип 28, 2013 in Rivne region | 0 comments

Mlinov (Yiddish), Mlinuv (German), Młynów, Mlinuze (Polish), Mlynure, Млинів – Mlyniv (Ukrainian), Млинов – Mlinov (Russian) Mlinov is a small town (since 1959), the regional center in Rivne region. It was founded in the XVI century; in the XVI-XVIII centuries – Volyn province of the Commonwealth. Since 1795 – the part of the Russian Empire. In the XIX – early XX century – shtetl in Dubno district of Volyn province. In 1919-1939 – Volyn province of Poland, in 1939-1991 – part of the USSR. Beginning I haven’t find information about first Jews in Mlinov. In 1867 there was a synagogue. The main occupation of the Jewish population in the XIX – early XX century – trade and craft. Jewish population of Mlinov: 1847 – 209 jews 1897 – 672 (60,8%) 1921 – 615 (49%) 1931 ~ 900 jews 1941...

Read More

Mezhyrichi

Posted by on Лип 12, 2013 in Rivne region | 0 comments

Main part of article was taken from here – translation , author Benyamin Lukin Великие Межиричи – Velikie Mezhirichi (Russian), Великі Межирічі (Ukrainian) Village on the Stava River (Pripiat’ basin) in Ukraine’s Rivne (Rovno) region. Mezhyrichi, known as Mezhirech in Russian and Międzyrzecz in Polish, was called Mezhirich Gadol by Jews; currently known as Velikie Mezhyrichi (Great Mezhyrichi), it has also been referred to as Mezhyrichi Koretskie. From 1569 it was in the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth, and from 1793 in the Korets district of the Russian Empire’s Volhynia province. Between 1921 and 1939 the town belonged to independent Poland. Beginning Noblemen owned the town until 1831. The first references to Jews date back to 1569 and 1577. At the beginning of the seventeenth century, a local Jew leased the principal revenues of the town. The Jewish community suffered from Cossack attacks in 1648–1649, and in 1652 a tax was...

Read More

Baranovka

Posted by on Лип 7, 2013 in Zhytomyr region | 0 comments

Baranovka (Russian), Baranówka (Polish), Баранівка (Ukrainian), Барановка – Baranovka (Russian) Baranovka, a city (since 2001), the district center in Zhytomyr region. This settlement was known from 1565. In the XVI-XVIII centuries it was Volyn province town in the Commonwealth. Since 1793 Baranovka became a part of Russia Empire. In the XIX – early XX century – a shtetl in Novograd-Volynskiy district in Volyn guberniya. Beginning In 1802 on the left bank of the Sluch river, near Baranovka, was found kaolin deposit. French entrepreneur Moser bought land and established a porcelain factory here. Till the beginning of WWII many Jews worked on this factory. Jewish population of Baranovka: 1847 – 893 jews 1897 – 1990 (95%) 1923 – 1100 jews 1926 – 1602 (29.9%) 1939 – 1447 (23%) 1989 – 44 jews 1998 – 3 jewish families 2014 – 13...

Read More

Pilyava

Posted by on Лип 3, 2013 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 1 comment

Pilyava is a village located in Starosinyavskiy district, Khmelnitskiy region of Ukraine. Kozelets is located on the Ikva River, a tributary of the Southern Bug. The villag’s estimated population is 672 (as of 2001). Pilyava became a part of Russia Empire in 1793, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was shtetl of Litin Yezd of Podolskaya Gubernia.  Known since 1501. In the XVI-XVIII centuries Pilyava was a part of Commonwealth, since 1793 – in the Russian Empire. In the XIX – early XX it was a shtetl of Litin County town in Podolsk province. Population according to 2001 census –  672 persons. Near the village take place great Battle of Pyliavtsi (September 23, 1648) was the third significant battle of the Khmelnytsky Uprising. Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth forces met a numerically superior force of Cossacks and Crimean Tatars under the command of Bohdan Khmelnytsky...

Read More

Dzhurin

Posted by on Чер 9, 2013 in Vinnytsia region | 0 comments

Most information was taken from this book. Djurin (Polish, Yiddish & Hebrew), Джурин (Ukrainian), Джурин – Dzhurin (Russian) Dzhurin (old names Churylov, Churintsy, Dzhurilov) – village in Shargorod region, Vinnytsia oblast, before 1923 it was a shtetl of Yampol yezd, Podolsk province. The population is 3734 people (in 2001). Beginning Churylov settlement was first mentioned in documents in the XV century. Same settlement mentioned in royal charter of 1547. Apparently in those days it was protected by a fortified castle. In the XVIII century Dzhurin  belonged to Potocki magnates. In 1767 Dzhurin get urban rights and privileges to conduct monthly fair. In 1765 there were 35 Jewish houses, where lived 84 people, all were assigned to the community of Murafa. According to the 1775 census in in the town were Jews: 65 men, 69 women, 14 boys, 10 girls...

Read More

Dubova

Posted by on Чер 2, 2013 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 3 comments

Dubowa (Polish), Дубова, Dubova (Russian), דבובה (Yiddish) or Dubove(before Revolution) Dubova is a village in Uman district of Cherkassy district. Population is 589 persons according to 2001 census. Before Revolution it was a shtetl of Kiev Guberniya. The emblem of Dubova depicts a cross, oak and a Star of David in memory of the once numerous Jewish population. Beginning Jews lived in Dubova from the 16th century. Jewish population of Dubova: 1863 – 770 (27%) 1897 – 1104 jews 1917 – 1115 jews In 1863, the population consisted of 2,783 people, among whom were 2,555 Orthodox Christians and 770 Jews, as well as six Free Churchmen. By the 1897 census, the Jewish community had increased to 1,104 people. There was a Jewish savings and loan association in town and two synagogues operated. The centre of the Chernobyl Hasidic branch was...

Read More

Husiatyn

Posted by on Тра 28, 2013 in Shtetls, Ternopil region | 1 comment

Gusiatyn, Gusatin, Usiatyn, Gusyatin (Russian), Husiatin (Yiddish), Husiatyń (Polish), Гусятин – Gusiatin (Russian), Гусятин – Husiatyn (Ukrainian). Most information was taked from Jewishgen website. Husiatyn is a town in the Ternopil Oblast of Western Ukraine. Husiatyn is the administrative center of the Husiatyn Raion (district), and is located on the west bank of the Zbruch River. This river formed the old boundary between Austria-Hungary and the Russian Empire (1792-1918) and between Poland and the Soviet Union during the inter-war period of the twentieth century. Beginning The history of the Jewish community in Gusyatin spans more than 500 years from its early origins as a farm in the sixteenth century. The community reached its peak in the late 1800s, when Gusyatin was both a thriving commercial center and one of the most important Hassidic centers in Galicia. Sadly, the golden...

Read More

Krasnostav

Posted by on Бер 24, 2013 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 5 comments

Krasnostav is a small village in Slavuta district of Kmelnitskiy region. Population in the beginning of XXI century is only 535 person. But before Revolution it was a mestechko (shtetl) of Berezdov district, most population were a jews. In Ukraine exist 3 villages with same names (in Zhitomir, Chernihiskiy and Volinskiy regions) but they didn’t have such big Jewish population as this village. Don’t miss this Krasnostav with city in Lublin voevodstvo in Poland – Krasnystav. I didn’t find much information about this former shtetl 🙁 Beginning Hlapotin (it was initial name of current Krasnostav) mentioned in first time in 1386. Krasnostav became a city at June 2, 1573. So we can assume that first Jews appear here in XVI century. City get Magdeburg rights in 1616. In the beginning of XVII century there were 399 houses (now only 177)....

Read More

Berezdov

Posted by on Бер 23, 2013 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Berezdov is a village in the Slavuta district of Khmelnitsky region. In the XVI-XVIII centuries it was a Lutsk povit of Volyn province. Since 1793 – part of Russia Empire. In the XIX – early XX century Berezdovo (other titles is Berestov) was a mestechko of Novograd-Volynskiy yezd, Volyn province. Population in 2000 was 1437 persons. Beginning The earliest known Jewish community exist there in XVII century. In 1618, Krim Tartar abducted local residents. In 1765 there were 49 Jewish houses, in 1784 – 33, in 1787 – 29. From the middle of XIX rabbi was Avrom Stepansky, from 1880 rabbi was his son Chaim Stepansky (1854 -?). I didn’t find information about events in Berezdov during Revolution and Civil War. During the NEP trade and crafts have revived in Berezdov, dozens of private shops appeared on market square. Artisans were mainly Jews,...

Read More

Kilikiev

Posted by on Бер 21, 2013 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 1 comment

Kilikiev is a village in the Slavuta district of Khmelnitsky region. Since 1793 – in Russia Empire. In XIX – beginning XX century – mestechko Ostrozhskiy yezd of Volyn gubernia. Population in the beginning of XXI century – 863 persons. Kilikiev mentioned in archiv as a city at first time in 1596. The earliest known Jewish community was XVII century. In the end of XIX century there was a synagogue and Jewish cemetery. At the beginning of XX century Jews built the mill with a steam engine, which grind grain not only for locals but also people from surrounding villages. Bath was built in the center of the village (now Pershotravneva Str.) In 1914 all 3 grocery store belong to Jews. I didn’t find information about events in Kilikiev during Revolution and Civil War. Find only one document in JDC archiv here....

Read More

Annopol

Posted by on Бер 19, 2013 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Аннополь – Annopol (Russian), Ганнопіль (Ukrainian) Annopol (before 1761 – Glinniki), a village in the Slavutsky district, Khmelnitsky region. Settlement mentioned first time in 1602. Since 1793 became a part of Russia. In the XIX – early XX it was a mestechko in Ostrog yezd, Volyn guberniya. In 1923-1930 Annopol was a center of a district. Beginning Jews settled there in the XVII century. Since the 1770s Annopol played a prominent role in the Hasidism movement. In Annopol lived Dov-ber from Mezerich and his son Avrom “Ha-Malach” (“Angel”) (1741-1776, Fastow), who later became a Tzaddik in Fastov. Dov Ber ruled in religious communities of Rivne  and Mezhyrich, for which he received a title of Great Magid from Mezhirichi. For further spread of Hasidism to west tzadik Dov Ber chose Hannopil where lived a large Jewish community. He lived here 12 years,...

Read More

Slavuta

Posted by on Бер 10, 2013 in Khmelnytskyi region | 12 comments

Slavuta, has been a city in Khmelnitskiy district, Ukraine since 1938. Slavuta was annexed by Russia after the second partition of Poland in 1793 and was part of the Volhynia province until the Revolution of 1917. In 1932 Slavuta was assigned to Vinnitsa district, in 1937 Slavuta became a part of Kamenets-Podolskiy district. In 1954 the city became a part of Khmelnitskiy district.   Where it all began Slavuta was founded as a family seat of the Sanguszko princes. In 1633 Slavuta received Magdeburg self-governing town rights. The first mention of a synagogue in Slavuta appeared in the archive documents in 1731. In 1765 poll tax was paid by 246 Jews registered in Slavuta. Mosheh Shapira was a rabbi in Slavuta towards the end of 18th century. As his rabbinical position was unsalaried, Mosheh made his living by establishing...

Read More

Chernobyl

Posted by on Гру 27, 2012 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Chernobyl – Чернобыль (Russian), טשערנאבל (Yiddish) צ’רנוביל (Hebrew) Chernobyl is a historic town located in Kiev region of northern Ukraine. Chernobyl is located on the Pripyat River, a tributary of the Dnieper. All population was evacuated in 1986 after nuclear disaster. Now in town located only few offices of “30km Exclusion Zone” and temporary stuff. Chernobyl became a part of Russia Empire in 1793, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was shtetl of Radomyshl Yezd of Kiev. Chernobyl is approx. 32 km from Radomyshl and in 280 km from Kiev. Beginning It had one of the oldest Jewish settlements in the  Ukraine, dating from the end of the 17th century (first mention in documents dated by 1193). It was originally under the jurisdiction of the Lithuanian Council and attached in 1710 to the Council of the Four Lands. In 1691 a Cossack gang...

Read More

Lubny

Posted by on Гру 6, 2012 in Poltava region | 0 comments

Luben (Yiddish), Łubnie, Lubin, Łubny (Polish) Lubny is a city in the Poltava Oblast of central Ukraine. Serving as the administrative center of the Lubensky Raion (district), the city itself is also designated as a separate raion within the oblast. The current estimated population is around 52,600 (as of 1999). Beginning Jews settled in Lubny in the first half of the 17th century, under the auspices of the important Vishnievietski family. Jews defended the town during the Pavliuk uprising (1637–38), and 200 of them were killed during the Chmielnicki massacres of 1648–49, rabbi was burned alive. The Jews appeared again in Lubny at the end of the 18th century.  In 1865 there were 2 synagogues. From 361 in 1847, their numbers increased to 3,006 (30% of the total population) in 1897. The writer Shalom Aleichem served there as state rabbi in 1880–83 and Mair Shapiro in the end of 19th century....

Read More

Talne

Posted by on Лип 27, 2012 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 45 comments

Talna, Tolne, טאלנא (Yiddish),  Talne – Тальне – Tal’ne (Ukrainian), Talnoe – Тальное (Russian) Talne is a city in Cherkasy Oblast (province) of Ukraine. Beginning The Jews of Talne were mentioned for the first time in connection with Cossack pogroms when the local Jewish community was destroyed in 1768. In 1848, according to the census, the Jewish community of Talne consisted of 1,807 people, while in 1897, the Jewish population increased to 5,452 people (57%). In 1854, Rabbi David Tversky (1808—1882) arrived in the town, and the place became a centre for Hasidim. In 1910, a Talmud Torah existed in Talne, as well as a private Jewish college for men, a synagogue and four other prayer houses. The Talmud Torah was opened in 1889, and 59 people studied there at the expense of the community. In 1912 – the...

Read More

Polonnoe

Posted by on Лип 24, 2012 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 3 comments

Polna, Polonnoje, Polonna, Polonne, Polona (Yiddish), Połonne (Polish), Полонне (Ukrainian), Полонное – Polonnoe (Russian) Polonnoe, city (from 1938) in the Khmelnitski (Proskurov) district, Ukraine. Beginning Jews were mentioned in 1601, and by the middle of the century it was an important community in Volhynia. In 1648, the time of the Chmielnicki massacres, when the Cossack armies approached the town about 12,000 Jews found refuge in its fortress, defending themselves, together with Poles, against the enemy. When the Cossacks overran the town about 300 Jews gathered in the bet hamidrash  and, led by the kabbalist R. Samson Ostropoler, they wrapped themselves in their  tallits  and met death with a prayer on their lips. The number of dead in the town was estimated at 10,000. Jewish population of Polonnoe: 1847 – 2647 jews 1897 – 7910 (48,5%) 1910 – 15 257...

Read More

Konotop

Posted by on Лип 13, 2012 in Sumy region | 1 comment

Konotop is a city in northern Ukraine within the Sumy Oblast. Beginning At the beginning of the 19th century, only about 80 Jews lived in Konotop, but by 1847 the number had grown to 521. Jewish life in the town during the 19th century is described in memoirs by Pauline Wengerof, who lived there for some years. The numbers increased considerably during the second half of the 19th century as a result of the movement of Jews from the northwestern provinces of the *Pale of Settlement to the southeastern ones, reaching 4,426 (23.5% of the total population) in 1897. In 1892 there was Jewish Hospital. From the 1880 rabbi was Arie-Leib Gaft. Konotop businessmans in 1903: In the end of 19th – beginning 20th century there were 3 synagogues and 3 heders (for 13 boys), Talmud-Tora (for 50 boys) and Jewish school for...

Read More

Belaya Tserkov

Posted by on Лип 10, 2012 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 2 comments

Shvartze Timme (Yiddish Transliteration), Белая Церковь – Belaia Tserkov, Belaya Tserkov (Russian), Біла Церква – Bila Tserkva (Ukrainian), שדה לבן (Hebrew) Belaya Tserkov is a historic city located in Kiev region of Central Ukraine, center of Belaya Tserkov district. Kozelets is located on the Ros’ River, a tributary of the Dnieper. The city’s estimated population is 212,090 (as of 2016). Belaya Tserkov became a part of Russia Empire in 1793, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was a shtetl of Vasylkov Yezd of Kiev Gubernia. Belaya Tserkov is approx. 85 km from Kiev, 38 km from Fastov and 37 km from Skvira. If you want help to Belaya Tserkov Jewish school “Mitzva-613”: in UAH: Р/С 26006060214751; ПАО КБ “Приватбанк”; МФО 321842; ЕДРПОУ 33519562 получатель НВК”Міцва-613″ in USD: Полное название: Branch #10026/0877 Main administration in city Kyiv and Kyiv area...

Read More

Kiev

Posted by on Чер 26, 2012 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Article don’t complited Киев – Kiev (Russian), Київ – Kyiv (Ukrainian), קיִעוו (Yiddish), קייב (Hebrew) Kiev or Kyiv is the capital and the largest city of Ukraine, located in the north central part of the country on the Dnieper River. Beginning Kiev’s central position on the river Dnipro at the commercial crossroads of Western Europe and the East attracted Jewish settlers (Rabbanites and Karaites) from the foundation of the town in the eighth century C.E. At first most of them were transient merchants from both east and west. According to letters dated 930 from the Cairo Genizah there were Jews in Kiev at this time. Ancient Russian chronicles relate that some Jews from Khazaria Visited Vladimir, the prince of Kiev, to try to convert him to Judaism (986). About that time a Jewish community already existed in the city. Jewish merchants from the West took part in...

Read More

Uman

Posted by on Чер 13, 2012 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 2 comments

Human (Hungarian), Humań (Polish), Imen, Human (Yiddish Transliteration), Умань (Ukrainian), Умань – Uman’ (Russian), אמואן (Yiddish) Uman is a city in Cherkassy region. How It Started A Jewish community appeared in Uman in the early 18th century. The first mention of Jews in Uman relates to the events of Haydamaks’ uprising. In 1749 the Haidamacks massacred many Jews of Uman and burned part of the town. In 1761, the owner of Uman, Earl Pototsky, rebuilt the city and established a market, at which time around 450 Jews were living in the city. During this time, Uman began to flourish both as a Jewish town and a trade centre. In 1768 Haidamacks annihilated the Jews of Uman, together with the Jews from other places who had sought refuge there. On June 19, 1788, the peasant revolutionary, Maxim Zheleznyak, marched on...

Read More

Cherkassy

Posted by on Чер 8, 2012 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 1 comment

 Cherkasy (Ukrainian: Черкаси, transliterated: Čerkasy, pronounced [tʃerˈkɑsɪ]) or Cherkassy (Russian: Черкасcы), is a city in central Ukraine. It is the capital of the Cherkasy Oblast. There have been Jews in Cherkassy for almost 500 years. Jews settled in the city in the 16th century. However it is known that Jews were in the city previously, from 1487-8, and from 1500. In 1581, Jewish wine merchants were beaten and robbed by Cossacks. In the days of the Decrees of 1647-8 – the Chmelnitsky massacres, Jews fled from the city. The massacres began in June 1648. As the Cossack leader approached the city, in 1664, the local population murdered the Jews and the Poles. After this, no Jews lived in the city until the end of the 17th century. The Jewish community re-appeared in the city at the beginning of the 18th century but suffered greatly from Haidamak attacks. Zhelezniak’s forces captured the...

Read More

Kanev

Posted by on Чер 8, 2012 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Kaniow (Polish), Канiв – Kaniv (Ukrainian), Канев – Kanev (Russian) KANIV, port on the Dnieper River in Сherkassy district, Ukraine. Beginning Jewish settlement began in the end of the 17th century or the beginning of the 18th. From 98 (including the surrounding villages) in 1765, the Jewish population grew to 1,635 in 1847 and 2,682 (30% of the total population) in 1897. In 1910, the town had a synagogue, two prayer houses, two male and one female government-sponsored schools. Before WWI most of the petty trade in town was in Jewish hands, all groceries and textile shops as well as others. In 1913 Vulf Moishevich Shteinvortsel was official Rabi. Kaniv entrepreneurs in 1913 (90% were Jews): Civil War pogroms The Jews of On November 6, 1917, local hoodlums ransacked many Jewish properties; this happened again in the beginning of...

Read More

Chyhyryn

Posted by on Чер 8, 2012 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Chyhyryn or Chigirin is a city and important historic site located in Cherkasy Oblast of central Ukraine. From 1648 to 1669 the city was a Hetman capital of Cossack Hetmanate and a traditional place for the appointment to the office of Hetman of Zaporizhian Host. The Chronicles of Nathan Hannover mention that during the middle of the 17th century, the tenant in Chyhyryn was a Jew named Zacharia Sobilenko. According to one hypothesis, the Jewish tavern was more successful than the tavern of Captain Bohdan Khmelnitsky and this became the cause of his hatred toward Jews and the brutal massacres of Jewish communities. During Khmelnitsky’s uprising, the town became the Hetman’s residence and there was no Jewish population in the area. In the late 17th century, with the restoration of the Polish authorities, a small Jewish community emerged in...

Read More

Chernihiv

Posted by on Кві 10, 2012 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Cernigovas (Lithuanian), Charnihau (Belarusian), Czernihów (Polish), Tschernigow (German), Tshernigov (Yiddish), Чернигов – Chernigov (Russian), Чернігів (Ukrainian) Chernigov is a historic city in northern Ukraine. It is the administrative center of the Chernihiv Oblast, as well as of the surrounding Chernihiv district within the oblast. Beginning In the first half of the tenth century, Chernihiv was part of the lands which paid tribute to the Khazar Empire. During this period, Khazar Jews settled in the city. In the XIth century, a Jewish community was established in Chernihiv. During the existence of the Principality of Chernihiv (1054 – 1239), the city was a centre of Jewish scholarship. A number of Jewish sources from the XIIIth century, for example, respons of Rabbi Yitzhak (England) mention Rabbi Itsh (Yitzhak) from Chernihiv. In 1239, the city was destroyed by the Tatar Mongols. In 1611,...

Read More

Nezhin

Posted by on Бер 5, 2012 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Niezyn (Hungarian), Nizyn (German), Niżyn (Polish), Нежин – Nezhin (Russian), Ніжин (Ukrainian) NEZHIN , city in Chernigov district, Ukraine. Beginning Jews first settled in Nezhin in the early 17th century, but the community was destroyed during the Khmelnitski uprising. They resettled there in the early 18th century. The Hasidic Tzadik Dov Ber of Lubavich, the son of Shneur Zalman of Lyady, the “middle rabbi” of Chabad Hasidism, died and was interred in Nezhin in 1827. The town became a center for the Chabad Hasidim of the Ukraine. It was especially  well known while Israel Noah Schneersohn lived there from 1867 to 1882. In 1847, 1,299 Jews were registered in the community. On July 20, 1881, an anti-Jewish riot broke out there and continued through July 21 and 22; most of the Jewish houses were destroyed. The military, which was...

Read More

Priluki

Posted by on Лют 19, 2012 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 28 comments

Pryłuki (Polish), Прилуки (Ukrainian), Прилуки – Priluki (Russian), פרילוקי (Hebrew), פּריłוקי(Yiddish) If your ancestors are Myasnikov from Priluki (or you have some information about them) – please contact me. It is possible that we are relatives 🙂 Priluki is a city in Chernigov district, Ukraine. Priluki is a historic town located in Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine, center of Prilutskiy raion (not to be confused with Old Priluka – a village in Vinnitsa district, former shtetl). Priluki is located on the Udai River, a tributary of the Sula. The city’s estimated population is 61,600 (as of 2005). Beginning Priluki first appears in historical record in 1085. The settlement was founded initially as border post during the time of Yaroslav Mudriy. In 1569-1648 Priluki was a part of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. In the 17th century the Cossacks took part in...

Read More