Pages Navigation Menu

Zhvanets

Posted by on Jan 14, 2017 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Zhvanets is a town in Kamenets district of Khmelnitskiy region. The town’s estimated population is 1,529 (as of 2001). It is situated on the iver Dniester 20 kilometers away from the district center. It has been a town of Kamenets district since the mid 1920s. Before Revolution it was a shtetl of Kamenets ueazd, Podolia gubernia. Beginning The first mention of  Zhvanets that appeared in historical record was in 1431. In 1646 the town received  Magdeburg right. It is known that there was a conflict between the Jews and bishop Chizhevskiy in 1663. Jewish population of Zhvanets: 1765 – 1134 Jews 1784 – 617 Jews 1847 – 1619 Jews 1897 – 3353 (67% of total) 1902 – 3494 Jews 1923 – 1196 Jews 1926 – 1383 (40,2%) 1939 – 626 Jews 1989 – 5 Jews 1993 – 0 In...

Read More

Khorol

Posted by on Jan 14, 2017 in Poltava region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Khorol is a town in Poltava region, the centre of Khorol district. Its population is 14,643 according to the 2001 census. In the early XX century it was a center of Khorol uyezd (district), Poltava province. Beginning Jews probably first settled in Khorol at the beginning of the XVII century but in 1648 during the Khmelnytskyi uprising the local Jewish community was apparently annihilated. Jews settled in Khorol again in the early XIX century. According to archival data, in 1800, 44 Jewish peasants lived in the town. The revision in 1847 showed that there was a “Khorol Jewish Society” containing 78 people in the region. Jewish population of Khorol: 1897 – 2,056 (25% of total) 1926 – 2,089 (19,7%), 1939 – 701 (6.4%) 2016 ~ 10 Jews According to the 1897 census, more than 173,000 residents lived in the region....

Read More

Olshana

Posted by on Jan 5, 2017 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Olshana is a town in Gorodishche district, Cherkassy region. The town’s estimated population is 3,256 (as of 2011). It was established around 1598 and has been a part of the Russian Empire since 1793. In the XIX  – early XX centuries,  it was a shtetl in the Zvenigorodka district, Kiev gubernia. Beginning In 1847, the Jewish community consisted of 689 people, and in 1897 – 1233 (20%). My locationGet Directions In 1867, a synagogue was functioning in Olshana. Eliezer-Leyb Shapiro (1858-?) was the rabbi in Olshana since 1892. Jewish population of Olshana: 1847 – 689 Jews 1861 – 850 (22%) 1897 – 1233 (20%) 1923 – 916 Jews 1939 – 195 Jews 1993 – 1 Jews 2016 – 0 Crafts and trade were the main occupations of the Jewish population in the 19th – early 20th centuries. In 1914, Jews owned a drugstore...

Read More

Boyarka

Posted by on Jan 5, 2017 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Boyarka is a town located in Lisyanka district of Cherkassy region of central Ukraine. Boyarka is located on the Gniliy Tikich River, a tributary of the South Bug. The town’s estimated population is 654 (as of 2009). Before the Revolution it was a shtetl of Zvenigorodka yezd, Kiev guberniya. Boyarka is approx. 32 km from Korsun and in 160 km from Kiev. Beginning The first evidence of the Jewish community of Boyarka, dating back to the early XVII century, was found in the Kiev Regional Archive. In 1625, three Jewish families were mentioned in the tax records of Boyarka town. My locationGet Directions According to the census of 1765, 13 Jewish families were resident in Boyarka. In 1768, as a result of the Haydamaks’ uprising, the number of Jews was down to seven families. Others must have moved to...

Read More

Horodyshche

Posted by on Dec 14, 2016 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Gorodische – Городище (Russian), Gorodish, Horodishtch (Yiddish), Horodische – Городище (Ukrainian), Horodyshche, Horodysce, Gorodisce, Gorodyszcze (Alternative Name) Horodyshche is a historic town located in Cherkassy region, center of Horodyshche district. Horodyshche is located on the Vilshanka River, a tributary of the Dnieper. The city’s estimated population is 14,480 (as of 2011). Before Revolution, Horodyshche was a shtetl of Cherkassy County, Kiev Gubernia. Beginning There is no exact information when Jews first settled around the area of modern Horodyshche. However, they must have already lived there during the popular uprising of the Ukrainian peasants when Haydamaks murdered a lot of Polish gentry and Jews. My locationGet Directions The proportion of Jews among the population of our region increased significantly in the XIX century. More can be found in the archived documents and pre-1917 census and reports. In 1900, there were three...

Read More

Rosava

Posted by on Dec 12, 2016 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Россава (Russian), Росава (Ukrainian) Rosava is a village in Mironovskiy district, Kiev region. In the 16th – 18th centuries, it was a part of Rechpospolita (Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (1569–1795). In 1793 Rosava became part of the Russian Empire. In the XIX – early XX centuries, the shtetl Rosava was in Kanev district, Kiev region.  There are seven documents concerning Jews of Rosava on Wikimedia.org, supplied by an unknown user. It was a main source of information for this article. Beginning We don’t know when Jews appear in Rosava… My locationGet Directions A synagogue in Rosava was opened in 1815 and existed till its closing in 1864. In 1864, there were about 59 Jewish houses in Rosava. 400 Jews lived in them. In 1866, the synagogue where the followers of tsaddik Duvidl Tverskoy used to pray was closed. There wasn’t any synagogue in...

Read More

Rzhyshchev

Posted by on Oct 31, 2016 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Rzyszczów (Polish), Ржищев – Rzhishchev (Russian), Ржищів – Rzhyschiv (Ukrainian), אורזישטשב , אורזיטשוב (Yiddish) Rzhyshchev is a town in Kiev regionof central Ukraine. The town’s estimated population is 7,519 (as of 2015). In XIX – beginning of XX century it was shtetl of Kiev Yezd of Kiev Gubernia. Rzhyshchev is 78 km south-east of Kiev. Beginning The Jewish population in Rzhyshchev may have existed at the time of Rzeczpospolita (Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (1569–1795) before the Khmelnitsky uprising but confirmed accounts exist from much later times. Thus, in 1740, 40 Jews lived here. Later, when the Kyiv region became part of the Russian Empire in the 1790s, Rzhyshchev was included in the Pale of Settlement where Russian Jews were allowed to settle. My locationGet Directions In 1896 there was a Ravinskaya (Rabbi) street in Rzhyshchiv, where one could see the house which...

Read More

Kovshevatoe

Posted by on Oct 31, 2016 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Ківшовата – Kivshovata (Ukrainian), Ковшеватое – Kovshevatoe (Russian) Kovshevatoe is a historic village located in Kiev region of central Ukraine. The village’s estimated population is 2,400 (as of 2001). In XIX – beginning of XX century it was shtetl of Tarasha Yezd of Kiev Gubernia.  Beginning The village was founded in the 1560s by a Polish noble called Chernysh. The first official written evidence dates from the 31st of May 1571 when King Sigismund Augustus confirmed the property rights for “the village Chernyshky called Kovshovatitse” to a boyar (Slav nobility)Tymofiy Tyshkovych from Bila Tserkva. My locationGet Directions It was a part of Rzeczpospolita (the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (1569–1795) until the XVIII century when in 1793 it became a part of the Russian Empire. During the war of liberation headed by Bohdan Khmelnitskiy Kivshovate passed from one owner to another several...

Read More

Korsun

Posted by on Oct 13, 2016 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Корсунь-Шевченковский (Russian), Корсунь-Шевченківський (Ukrainian) Korsun-Shevchenkovskiy (Korsun until 1944) is a town since 1938, a district center in Cherkassy region. It was founded by the Grand Prince of Kiev Yaroslav the Wise in 1032. In 1584, Korsun received the Magdeburg Charter. In the XVI-XVIII centuries it was a part of Kiev Voivodship in Rzeczpospolita (Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (1569–1795). In 1793 Korsun became part of the Russian Empire. In the XIX – early XX century Korsun was a shtetl in the Kanev Yesd, Kiev province. My locationGet Directions There were two more towns with large Jewish communities in the Korsun area – Shenderovka and Steblev If you would like to help Korsun Jewish community or Jewish museum please contact Klavdiya Kolesnikova kik.korsun@gmail.com Ros River in Korsun: Beginning The Jews would settle in Korsun in the beginning of the XVII century. In 1622,...

Read More

Novograd-Volynskiy

Posted by on Oct 4, 2016 in Shtetls, Zhytomyr region | 0 comments

Novograd-Volynskiy, Novogradvolynsk, Novograd-Volynsk (Alternative Name), Zvihil, Zvil, Zvehil, זוויל ,זוועהיל, Zvhil (Yiddish), Новоград-Волинський (Ukrainian), נובוהרד-וולינסקי (Hebrew), Zwiahel (Polish), Новоград-Волынский Novograd-Volynskiy is a historic city located in Zhytomir region, center of Novograd-Volynskiy district. In 2022, city was renamed to Zvyagel. Novograd-Volynskiy is located on the Sluch River, a tributary of the Goryn. The city’s estimated population is 56,155 (as of 2016). Before 1925 it was a сenter of Novograd-Volynskiy yezd, Volyn guberniya. City was mentioned first time in 1257 as Vozvyagel and was renamed to Novograd-Volynskiy after third Poland partition in 1795. Before 1795, city was named Zvyagel. All information for this article was provided by local historian Leonid Kogan (koganzvil@yandex.com) who research Novograd-Volinskiy Jewish history for more than 20 years. Leonid translated into Russian memorial book “Zvil” (Novograd-Volynsk) which was published in Yiddish and in Hebrew in Israel, in 1962. You can download...

Read More

Smotrich

Posted by on Sep 18, 2016 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 2 comments

Smotrich is a historic town located in Dunaevtsy district of Khmelnitskiy region.  The town’s estimated population is 2,087 (as of 2001). During the time of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (1569–1795), Smotrich was a town in Podolsk voivodeship (it received the Magdeburg Charter in 1488). Smotrich became a part of Russia Empire in 1795 , in XIX – beginning of XX century it was a shtetl of Kamenets Yezd of Podolia Gubernia. Smotrich is approx. 25 km from Dunaevtsy and in 34 km from Kamenets-Podolskiy. Beginning By the beginning of 18th century there was a Jewish community in Smotrich. A large synagogue, noted for its beauty, was built there in the 18th century. Jewish population of Smotrich: 1765 – 375 Jews 1847 – 1,274 Jews 1897 — 1,725 (40%) 1939 – 1,075 (18.5%) 2016 ~ 3 In 1712, a Jewish community with...

Read More

Germanovka

Posted by on Sep 1, 2016 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 1 comment

Germanovka is a village located in Obuhov district of Kiev. Germanovka is located on the Krasna River. The city’s estimated population is 1,667 (as of 2001). Before the Revolution it was a shtetl of Vasilkov yezd, Kiev guberniya. Germanovka is approx. 62km south of Kiev. Beginning While it is thought that Germanovka’s first Jewish community was established in the 17th century and suffered under the Khmelnytskyi pogroms, there is no data available to confirm this. The Jewish community re-appeared in the middle of the XIX century when Germanovka became an important trading centre. A synagogue was built in 1849. In pinkos dating back to 1848, a pogrom of 1881 is recorded. My locationGet Directions In 1864, the Jewish community of Germanovka numbered 442. In 1891, this number grew to 895. In 1897, the total population of Germanovka was 3,628, and...

Read More

Krasnoe

Posted by on Jul 11, 2016 in Shtetls, Vinnytsia region | 5 comments

Krasnoe is a historic village located in Tyvrov district of Vinnitsya region. Krasnoe is located on the Krasnyanka River, a tributary of the Southern Bug. The village’s estimated population is 1,110 (as of 2001). Krasnoe became a part of Russia Empire in 1793, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was shtetl of Yampol Yezd of Podolia Gubernia. Beginning The Jewish community was first mentioned in the town of Krasnoe in 1605. The area where Krasnoe Jews settled was the older part of the town. During Khmelnytsky Uprising (the Cossack-Polish insurgency in 1648-1654 under the command of Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky) the Jewish population in Krasnoe was completely decimated by Khmelnytsky’s Cossack military units. In the first half of the XVIII century, when a revival of the Jewish communities began in Bratslav area, Jewish colonists migrated from different areas to revive the community of Krasnoe. They gradually...

Read More

Dymer

Posted by on Jul 9, 2016 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Dimer (Yiddish Transliteration), Dymir (Polish), Димер – Dymer (Ukrainian), Дымер – Dymer, Dimer (Russian), דימער (Yiddish) Dymer is a historic town located in Kiev region. The town’s estimated population is 5,817 (as of 2001). Dymer became a part of Russia Empire in 1793, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was shtetl of Kiev Yezd of Kiev Gubernia. Dymer is approx. 32 km from Kiev and in 93 km from Chernobyl. Beginning Over the course of several centuries several ethnic groups co-existed on the abundant soil of Dymer. The Jews lived in Dymer since the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth rule. My locationGet Directions In the XIX – beginning of the XX centuries the Jews were mostly engaged in handicrafts and trade. The Jewish population of Dymer was 273 in 1847. According to the outstanding local historian Lavrentiy Pokhylevych, 1,773 Orthodox Christians of both genders and...

Read More

Brovary

Posted by on May 15, 2016 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Brovary is a city located in Chernigov region of northern Ukraine.  The city’s estimated population is 100,865 (as of 2016). Brovary became a part of Russia Empire in 1667, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was shtetl of Oster Yezd of Chernigov Gubernia. It is approx. 51 km from Kozelets and in 28 km from Kiev. Beginning The Brockhaus-Efron Encyclopaedia notes that Brovary was a mansion settlement with a Cossack population of more than 10 per cent. According to the law of May 14, 1840, Jews were not permitted to settle there; apparently, an 1845 attempt to do so failed. However, in Chapter 55 of the 1866 Respons by the Tzemach Tzedek Menachem Mendel Schneerson, the inhabitants of Brovary are mentioned with regards to a question on the suitability of cereals for Pesach. Therefore, in 1866 (or even earlier, given that the Responsa was compiled...

Read More

Byshov

Posted by on May 14, 2016 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Byshov is a historic town located in Makarov district of Kiev region. Byshovis located on the Lupa River, a tributary of the Irpen. The town’s estimated population is 2,773 (as of 2001). Byshov became a part of Russia Empire in 1793, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was shtetl of Kiev Yezd of Kiev Gubernia.   My locationGet Directions The earliest source of data on the Byshiv Jewish community states that there were 142 Jews in the village in 1765. Population numbers peaked in 1864 at 780, and dropped to 597 by 1897 (17% of total population). List of Byshev’s Jews from 1850 can be found here (in Russian). According to the Brockhaus-Efron Encyclopaedia, in the archives of the town owners in Pashkotz, a document has been preserved in which an Itsko Ozerovich proclaims his free will to swear loyalty in the synagogue. In 1768, the Jews...

Read More

Rykun

Posted by on Apr 26, 2016 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Rykun village is a part of Dymer, an urban-type settlement in  Kiev region, Ukraine. It was founded as a Jewish agricultural settlement in Kiev Uezd of Kiev province in 1853. Since the 1980s it has been the village of Dymer district, Kiev region.  The city’s estimated population is 275 (as of 2001). Beginning The origin of the village name is not known. A local historian from Dymer, Grigoriy Alekseenko reckons that Rykun is the surname of one of the first Jewish settlers who came there from Uman. This version was first suggested after a visit of an emigrant descendant from Uman, Jonathan J.Rikoon whose last name is similar to the village name.As a representative of American Heritage Commission, he visited the inauguration of the Holocaust memorial in Dymer in 2011. My locationGet Directions In 1850 32 families resided in the...

Read More

Boryspol

Posted by on Apr 10, 2016 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Boryspol is a historic city located in Kiev region,Ukraine, center of Boryspol district. The city’s estimated population is 60,102 (as of 2013). Boryspol became a part of Russia Empire in 1667, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was shtetl of Pereyaslav Yezd of Poltava Gubernia. Boryspil was first mentioned in the XI century as ‘Lta’, when the son of Prince Vladimir, Boris, died at the river Alta. It is presumed that the modern name appeared during the XVI century, in honor of Saint Boris. It is not known exactly when the Jewish population arrived in the city, although we know that the community suffered during the Khmelnitsky pogroms of the XVI century. Jewish population of Boryspol: 1897 – 1094 (12,2%) 1910 – 955 jews 1923 – 419 jews 1939 – 375 jews 1989 – 68 2010 ~ 40 As in most...

Read More

Khabno

Posted by on Apr 2, 2016 in Kiev region, Shtetls | 6 comments

«… This town is known as Khabnoe. It has everything that you need in a shtetl: the post office, a state-appointed and a local rabbi, the river, telegraph service, a cemetery, a police station, a Talmud Torah, some Hasidim, two synagogues, a lot of poor Jews and a handful of the rich, just like it is in our shtetls.» (Sholom Aleichem “Khabnoe town”).  Кагановичи – Kaganovichi, Kahanovychi (Formerly), Кагановичі Перші – Kahanovychi Pershi (Formerly), Полесское – Polesskoe (Russian), Поліське – Poliske, Polis’ke (Ukrainian), Хабно – Khabno (Formerly) Khabno was a historic town located in Kiev region of northern Ukraine. Khabno was located on the Uzh River, a tributary of the Pripyat. It was renamed Kaganovichi in 1934, and Polesskoye in 1957. Khabnoe became a part of Russia Empire in 1793, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was shtetl of Radomyshl Yezd of...

Read More

Pyriatyn

Posted by on Mar 26, 2016 in Poltava region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Пирятин (Ukrainian), Пирятин – Piriatin (Russian) Pyriatyn is a historic town located in Poltava region of central Ukraine, center of Piriatyn district. Piriatyn is located on the Udai River, a tributary of the Sula. The city’s estimated population is 16,146 (as of 2011). In XIX – beginning of XX century it was center of Piriatyn Yezd of Poltava Gubernia. Piryatin is approx. 44 km from Priluki, 150 km from Kiev and in 47 km from Lubny. Information about after-war Jews of Piriatin was provided by poet Velvel Chernin in 2019. Velvel used to come to Piriatin to spent the summer with his grandparents in the 1960’s. Beginning A Jewish community was first recorded in Pyriatyn at the start of the XVII centuryPyriatyn. At the time of ”Khmelnytchina”–a popular uprising led by Bogdan Kmelnitsky–, in 1648, the community was destroyed. By the end of the...

Read More

Justingrad

Posted by on Sep 28, 2015 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Most information about Justingrad was taken from book “Sokolievka/Justingrad: A Century of Struggle and Suffering in a Ukrainian Shtetl”, New York 1983. You can download a text version from Jewishgen or pfd version from my Google Docs. Another book is “Descendants of Candle Maker Kaprove”, Philadelphia, Dorrance 1969 סוקוליבקה ,יוסטינגרד (Yiddish), Justingrad (Formerly called), Justynhrad, Yustingrod (Polish), Загайполь(Russian), Zagaipol, Sokolivka, Юстiнград (Ukrainian) Justingrad is a Jewish shtetl which was completely destroyed in the XX century. Now it is a part of a small Sokolivka village in the Zhashkiv district, Cherkassy region. Current population of Sokolivka is less than 1290 people. Justingrad was approx. 28 km from Zhashkov and in 42 km from Uman. Justingrad was founded in 1825, in the XIX – beginning of the XX century as a shtetl of Lipovets Uyezd of Kiev Gubernia. Sokolivka is a village on the opposite side of the river and...

Read More

Konela

Posted by on Aug 15, 2015 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Koneła (Polish), Конела – Konela (Ukrainian, Russian) Konela is a village located in the Cherkassy region of central Ukraine and a part of Zhashkov district. The village’s estimated population is 601 (as of 2001). Konela is approx. 20 km from Zhashkov, 5 km from Sokolovka and 44 km from Uman. In XIX – beginning of XX century Konela was a shtetl of Lipovets Yezd of Kiev Gubernia. A Jewish community existed in Konela from the beginning of the XIX century. Jewish population of Konela: 1847 – 445 Jews 1897 – 744 (36,2%) 1923 – 225 1930’s ~ 100 Jews 1995 – 1 1996 – 0 According to Pokhilevich (needs reference) in the mid-19th century, the population of Konela included 822 Orthodox Christians, 76 Roman Catholics, and 1,360 Jews. This contradicts with the data from the Russian Jewish Encyclopedia which states...

Read More

Zhashkov

Posted by on Jun 15, 2015 in Cherkasy region, Shtetls | 0 comments

זאשקאוו (Yiddish), Zaszkow (Polish), Жашків (Ukrainian), Жашков (Russian) Zhashkov is a historic city, founded in 1636 and located in the Cherkassy region of central Ukraine and the center of Zhashkov district. The city’s estimated population is 14,116 (as of 2014). Zhashkov is approx. 64 km from Uman, 160 km from Kiev and about 78 km from Talne. The town became a part of the Russian Empire in 1793 after the third Partition of Poland. Before the Revolution of 1917, it was a shtetl of the Tarasha uyezd,  Kiev Guberniya. Beginning The Jewish community of Zhashkiv was first mentioned in the state archives in the 17th century, with several Jewish innkeepers, distilleries and mill owners. In 1863, there were 556 Jews, 1,533 Orthodox Christians and 52 Roman Catholics. In 1897, the Jewish population of Zhashkiv grew to 2,445 residents (47,2%)....

Read More

Sudilkov

Posted by on May 6, 2015 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 9 comments

סודילקאוו (Hebrew), Судилків (Ukrainian), Судилков (Russian), Sudyłków (Polish) Much of information for this article was taken from Max Grossman’s personal website. Sudilkov is a village located in the Shepetovka district of Khmelnitski (former Kamenets-Podolski) region. The village’s population is estimated at 5,277 (as of 2007). Sudilkov is approx. 34 km from Polonne and in 280 km from Kiev. In the beginning of the XX century Sudilkov was located about 6 km from Shepetovka but is now a suburb of Shepetovka. The population of Sudilkov has not changed in the XX century due to the extermination of the Jewish population and natural growth within Ukrainian population. The town became a part of the Russia Empire in 1793 after the third Partition of Poland. Before the Revolution it was a shtetl of the Zaslav yezd, Volyn guberniya. Beginning Sudilkov was first mentioned in...

Read More

Shepetovka

Posted by on Mar 29, 2015 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 7 comments

Шепетівка (Ukrainian), Шепетовка – Shepetovka (Russian), שעפּעטיווקע (Yiddish),  Shepetovka is a city located in the Khmelnitskiy region. It is located on the Rivers Guska and Kosetska. The city’s estimated population is 43 661 (as of 2010). Shepetovka is approx. 100 km from Khmelnitskiy and in 270 km from Kiev. My locationGet Directions The first mention of Shepetivka appears in Polish sources dating from 1594. It was given Magdeburg Rights at the end of the XVI century. We can assume that the first Jewish community of Shepetivka, was destroyed along with Polish population during The Khmelnitskiy Uprising of 1649. Following the Second Partition of Poland in 1793, the city became a part of the Russian Empire. Before the Revolution it was a shtetl of Izyaslav yezd, Volyn guberniya. Beginning We can assume that Jews appeared in Shepetovka at the end...

Read More

Voroshilovka

Posted by on Feb 27, 2015 in Shtetls, Vinnytsia region | 0 comments

Varshilovka (Yiddish), Vorosilovka (Dutch), Woroszylowka (Polish), Ворошилівка (Ukrainian), Ворошиловка – Voroshilovka (Russian) Voroshilovka is a village located in Tivrov district of Vinnitsya region. It is located on the South Bug River. The village’s estimated population is 1247 (as of 2001). Voroshilovka is approx. 32 km from Vinnitsya and in 280 km from Kiev. Before the Revolution it was a shtetl of Tivrov volost, Vinnitsky yezd, Podol guberniya. This article was insipred by the writings of Michael Charnofsky who emigrated from Voroshilovka before World War I and wrote this charming book in 1960s.   The hard economic and political condition of this small Podolian Jewish shtetl in the beginning of XX century are described here very thoroughly. You can download it by this link. Beginning Jewish population of Voroshilovka: 1765 – 116 jews 1787 – 189 jews 1847 – 1847...

Read More

Oster

Posted by on Dec 25, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Oster (German), Ostor (Yiddish), Ostr (Polish), Остер (Ukrainian), Остер – Oster (Russian), Старогородка – Starogorodka (Old Name) Oster is a historic town located in Kozelets district of Chernihiv region in northern Ukraine. Kozelets is located on the Desna River. The city’s estimated population is 6335 (as of 2011). Oster became a part of the Russian Empire in 1667, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was center of Oster Yezd of Chernigov Gubernia. Jews have lived in Oster since the 18th century. In 1862, there was a wooden synagogue in Oster; in 1867 – two synagogues; in 1886 – four synagogues, of which two were of stone and two of wood. Jewish population of Oster: 1847 – 633 jews 1897 – 1596 (29%) 1910 – 1582 jews 1920 – 1523 jews 1926 – 1267 (18,5%) 1939 – 841 (13,3%) The...

Read More

Gorodnya

Posted by on Dec 10, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Horodna (Polish), Городня (Ukrainian), Городня – Gorodnia (Russian) Gorodnya is a historic town (since 1957) located in Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine, center of Gorodnya district. Gorodnya is located on the Chibrizh River. The city’s estimated population is 12,766 (as of 2011). Gorodnya became a part of Russia Empire in 1667, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was center of Gorodnya Yezd of Chernigov Gubernia. In 1626, Jews were forbidden to live in the Chernigov and Siversk voivodeships. The censuses of the early 19th century did not record the presence of the Jewish population in Gorodne. A Jewish burial society existed in Gorodnya in 1845. According archival documents a synagogue was erected in the city in 1863. Jews began to settle in Gorodne in the mid-19th century. In 1847, 577 Jews were living here. Jewish population of...

Read More

Mena

Posted by on Nov 19, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 2 comments

Mena (Polish), Myena (German), Мена (Ukrainian), Мена – Mena (Russian) Mena is a historic town located in Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine, center of Mena district. The city’s estimated population is 12,900 (as of 2005). Mena became a part of Russia Empire in 1667, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was center of Mena Yezd of Chernigov Gubernia. Many details about the Jews in Mena were taken from interviews with Ziama Pergamentshik, who lived in Mena before the war and survived the Holocaust. He gave an interview to Shoa Foundation in the 1990s. Beginning Records from the early 19th century describe the general population in Mena at around 6,000 people. The Jewish population of this time is not mentioned but reference is made to the existence of a synagogue and another Jewish house of worship. Jews began to settle actively...

Read More

Repki

Posted by on Oct 30, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 2 comments

Репки – Repki (Russian), Ріпки (Ukrainian) Repki is a historic town located in the Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine and the center of Repki district. The city’s estimated population is 7,458 (as of 2011). Before the Revolution Repky was a mestechko of Gorodnta Uezd, Chernigov guberniya. Jewish population of Repki: 1897 – 3049 (91,3%) 1939 – 79 2014 – 1 In 1873, there was a synagogue in Ripky. According to the 1897 census, the total population stood at 3,336, including 3,049 Jews. The business directory of 1903 lists few names of Jewish entrepreneurs in Repky: Grocery stores: Aleksandrov Hatsk. Gersh., Glukhovskiy Israil Avram. Haberdashery: Zhezmer Mih. Zalm. In 1905, pogroms took place in the town following the Manifesto of October 18. The town Rabbi  in the beginning of XX century was Shneur-Zalman Schneerson (? – 1928). In 1912, a...

Read More

Korukovka

Posted by on Oct 29, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 3 comments

Most of information obtained for this article was presented by Oksana Tolkachova from the Korukovka historical museum. Korukovka is a historic city located in Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine, and is the center of Korukovka district. It was founded in 1657. Korukovka is located on the Brech River, a tributary of the Snov. The city’s estimated population is 14,805 (as of 2005). In XIX – beginning of XX century it belonged to Sosnitsya Yezd of Chernigov Gubernia. Judging by what we know of Jewish settlement in Sosnitsya Yezd, we can surmise that Jews first appeared in Korukovka at the beginning of XIX century. In 1887 the local sugar factory was bought by Lazar Brodskiy. Brodskiy was famous for his philanthropy. In 1896 he funded the construction of a school and from 1902-1904 a hospital as well as housing for...

Read More

Korop

Posted by on Oct 13, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Korop is a historic town located in the Chernihiv region in the north of Ukraine and is the center of the Korop district. Korop is located on the Desna River. The town’s estimated population is 5,600 (as of 2005). Korop became a part of the Russian Empire in 1667, and in 1796 it was a shtetl in Krolevets Yezd of Malorossia Gubernia and further Chernigov Gubernia. In 1862, there were 218 Jews living in Korop, reaching to over a thousand by 1920, although this figure dropped slightly in the subsequent decade with the Jewish population of 787 in 1926, accounting for some 12% of all Korop residents. Jewish population of Korop: 1865 – 255 1897 – 873 (13,9%) 1910 – 1102 1920 – 1014 1926 – 787 (12,1%) 1939 – 350 (5,6%). In the late 18th century, Korop was...

Read More

Sosnitsa

Posted by on Sep 30, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Sosnica (Polish), Sosnitza (Yiddish), Sosnyzja (German), Сосница – Sosnitsa (Russian), Сосниця (Ukrainian) Sosnitsa is a historic town located in the Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine and is the center of Sosnitsa district. Sosnitsa is located on the Ubid River, a tributary of the Desna. The city’s estimated population is 7,695 (as of 2014). Sosnitsa became a part of Russia Empire in 1667, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was the center of Sosnitsa Yezd of Chernigov Gubernia. In the 17th century, Sosnytsia,  one of the oldest cities in the Chernihiv region, became a district center. During Khmelnitsky’s uprising, a total expulsion of Jews from Sosnytsia took place. The Jews returned to this area in the early 19th century, when Chernihiv province was included into the Pale of Settlement. According to the census of 1847, the county had...

Read More

Snovsk

Posted by on Sep 17, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Snowska (Polish), Коржовка – Korzhovka (Formerly called), Сновськ (Ukrainian), Сновск (Russian). Snovsk is a historic town located in the Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine and is the center of the Snovsk district. Snovsk is located on the Snovsk River, a tributary of the Desna. The town’s estimated population is 11,471 (as of 2013). Snovsk appeared after the building of the Libavo-Romen railway line in 1878. The location was convenient as the city was built around a major railyard. It was renamed to Snovsk in the end of XIX century. Snovsk get status of city in 1924. In 1935-2016 the city was names Schors in the honor of famous red army general of the Civil War, Nikolai Schors (1895 – 1919). In 2016, town was renamed back to Snovsk Beginning Jews first appeared in the city at the end of XIX century. The town of...

Read More

Kozelets

Posted by on Sep 1, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 1 comment

Kozeletz, Mushkev (Yiddish), Kozielec (Hungarian), Myszkov (German), Nowy (Polish), Козелец – Kozelets (Russian), Козелець (Ukrainian) Kozelets is a historic town located in Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine, center of Kozelets district. Kozelets is located on the Oster River, a tributary of the Dnieper. The city’s estimated population is 8,305 (as of 2007). Kozelets became a part of Russia Empire in 1667, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was center of Kozelets Yezd of Chernigov Gubernia. Since 1932 it became a town of Chernigov region. In 1666, there were already several Jewish homes in Kozelet’s, of which four belonged to artisans and four were owned by merchants. By 1766, Jews accounted for about 8% of Kozelets’ residents (a total of 2,273 people). The census of 1847 mentioned only one ‘Kozelets’ Jewish community’, comprising 658 people but according to...

Read More

Borzna

Posted by on Aug 20, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Borzna is a historic town in northern Ukraine. It is the administrative center of the Borzna district in the Chernihiv region. The estimated population of the town is around 10,640 (as of 2011). Beginning The local Jewish community in Borzna was destroyed in 1648 and Jews did not resume living there until the mid-18th century. In 1736, there lived 3 Jewsih families. Thereafter, the local Jewish community grew rapidly, reaching its peak at the end of the 19th century. In 1881 a pogrom took place in Borzna. Market in Borzna, beginning of 20 century: Main street in Borzna, beginning of 20 century: In 1863, a synagogue operated in the town. The most common occupations among Jews were garment manufacturing and trade. Many Jews of Borzna were skilled tailors. In 1881 a pogrom took place in Borzna. In the 1890s,...

Read More

Berezna

Posted by on Aug 11, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Berezna is a town in Chernigov oblast, Ukraine. Population in 2011 was 4902 persons. Beginning There were no Jews in the town at the beginning of the 19th century. In 1847 the Jewish community of Berezna had 292 men and 252 women. In 1897, the population of the town numbered 9,922 of whom 1,357 were Jews. The Orthodox Christian population number 8,500. In Russian Empire Business Directories by 1903 mentioned next Jewish enterpreneurs: – Butovskiy Samuil Izrailev (grocery) – Zalmanzon Izrail Aronov (grocery) – Magilner Toiba Shlemovna (haberdashery) – Poritskiy Todres Leibov(grain) In the end of XIX century local Rabbi were David Arie Bakalieshchik and Shmuel Waltchek. Shneur-Zalman Gorelik (1880-1974) was Berezna Rabbi from 1901 till 1926. After this he became a rabbi in Snovsk. After publication of the October Manifesto in 1905, there were progroms on 22, 23 and 24...

Read More

Izyaslav

Posted by on Aug 8, 2014 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Izyaslav (formerly Zaslavl) city in Khmelnitski region. Situated on the Horyn river, the city dates back to the 11th century. As of 2009, the population of Izyslav was 17,232. It is one of the oldest cities in Volhynia. Before 1917, it was a сenter of Izyaslav uezd of Volyn gubernia.  More information about Izyslav jews can be found in the book of the Head of local Museum L. Levitskaya. Also another article about historical center of Izyaslav was published here. History of Izyaslav Jews in one video: Beginning The first evidence about the Jewish community there dates back to the first half of the 16th century. Most of the Jews fled to the neighbouring cities (Ostrog, Mezhirich and Dubno) during the Chmielnicki massacres of 1648. Among them was Nathan ben Moses Hannover who described these tragic events in his book...

Read More

Novgorod-Seversky

Posted by on Aug 3, 2014 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Novgorod-Seversky, city in Chernigov district, Ukraine. During the 14th century, Novgorod-Seversky was conquered by the princes of Lithuania; in the 16th and 17th centuries it was alternately in the hands of the Poles and the Russians; and in 1667 it was definitively annexed by Russia. Beginning A Jewish settlement is mentioned for the first time in a residence permit granted to the townspeople by King Sigismund III Vasa (1587–1632) of Poland. According to the permit Jews were forbidden to sell meat in the town, except in the courtyard of the synagogue. Also included were several tax levies which Jews were ordered to pay. During the Chmielnicki persecutions of 1648 many Jews in Novgorod- Seversky were massacred by the Cossacks. The community was renewed only in the late 18th century. In 1847 1,336 Jews were registered in the community; by...

Read More

Medzhibozh

Posted by on Jun 3, 2014 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 2 comments

Międzybóż (Polish),  Меджибіж (Ukrainian), Меджибож – Medzhibozh (Russian), מעזשביזש, Mezbizh (Yiddish) Medzibozh, a small town in the Khmelnitsky district (former Kamenets-Podolski district), Ukraine; until 1793 a part of Poland and then a part of the Russian Empire until 1917 it came under the jurisdiction of the province of Podolia. My locationGet Directions Beginning Medzibozh Jewish community is one of the oldest in Ukraine, a Jewish community here is mentioned in the Polish sources dating back to 1509 when a Medzhibozh Jew called Liberman was appointed as a tax collection supervisor. Jewish gravestones from the first half of the 16th century in what is now called the Old Jewish Cemetery also indicate the presence of the Jews in Medzibozh in the medieval period. 1571 census recorded the population of Medzibozh as being made up of 95 Ruthenians, 35 Jews, and...

Read More

Kamenets-Podolski

Posted by on May 24, 2014 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 1 comment

Kamenets-Podolski, a town in the Khmelnitski district of Ukraine and a district capital until the 1950s. The area was under the Lithuanian control from the XIV century, and remained so after the unification of Poland and Lithuania in 1569, except for a short but formative period of the Ottoman rule between 1672 and 1699; the territory passed to Russia in 1795, and from then on until the Revolution of 1917 Kamenets-Podolski remained the capital of the province of Podolia. My locationGet Directions The roots of Kamenets-Podolski Jewish community For a long time the municipality of Kamenets-Podolski prevented any attempts of the local Jews to settle in this important trading and commerce center in the southeastern Poland-Lithuania. In 1447 any Jews were prohibited from staying here for more than three days. In 1598 King Sigismund III prohibited Jews from settling...

Read More

Dunaevtsy

Posted by on Apr 12, 2014 in Khmelnytskyi region, Shtetls | 11 comments

Dinovitz (Yiddish),  Дунаевцы – Dunaevtsy (Russian), Дунаївці (Ukrainian) Dunaevtsy is the capital city of Dunaevtsy Region, Khmelnytskyi Oblast, Ukraine. The city is located on the river Ternavka, 22 km from the Dunaevtsy railway station and 68 km from the town of Khmelnytsky. As of 2001, the population of Dunaevtsy was 16,448 (2001). My locationGet Directions Where it all began The Jews have lived in Dunaevtsy since the 16th century. In the 17th – 18th centuries the main Jewish occupations were trade and crafts, represented by the guilds of weavers, shoemakers and painters. In 1648, almost all Jews were slaughtered by the Bogdan Hmelnitskiy army. In the second part of 17th century the Jewish community was revived. In 1748 the Jews became the victims of “blood libel.”   The  Jewish community numbered 1,129 in 1765, but by 1775 it was ...

Read More

Berdichev

Posted by on Apr 7, 2014 in Shtetls, Zhytomyr region | 5 comments

Barditchev (Yiddish), Berdyczow (Polish), Бердичев – Berdichev (Russian), Бердичів (Ukrainian) Berdychiv is a city in the Zhytomyr region.  The city’s estimated population is 78 523 (2013). Before 1917, it was a center of Uezd (county) in Kiev gubernia. How it all began Jews were first mentioned in Berdichev in 1593. Towards the mid-eighteenth century, the city became one of the main Jewish centers of Ukraine, earning the esteemed title “Jerusalem of Volhynia.” From 1785, Berdichev was home to Rabbi Levi Yitzhak of Berdichev, a prominent Hassidic leader, as well as Rabbi Yitzhak Ber Levinzon, a famous advocate of Jewish Enlightenment. My locationGet Directions In 1797, prince Radziwill granted seven Jewish cloth merchants the monopoly of the cloth trade in Berdichev. In 1798, a Jewish printing press was established in the city, one of the greatest in Russia. The ideas of enlightenment...

Read More

Bobrovytsia

Posted by on Nov 9, 2013 in Chernigov region, Shtetls | 0 comments

Bobrovitza (Yiddish), Bobrowica (Polish), Bobrowyzja (German), Бобровица – Bobrovitsa (Russian), Бобровиця (Ukrainian). Bobrovytsia is a city (since 1958) in Chernihiv region of Ukraine. Population is 11,916 (2001). Before Revolution it was a town of Kozelec Uezd, Chernigov Gubernia. Beginning The earliest known Jewish community was first half of XIX century. Jewish prayer house was opened here in 1869 but I haven’t find information when it was closed and in what building was situated.  In 1875 there was registered only one Jewish marriage: Zelik Berkov Resnik and Beila-Enta Sruleva Altshuler. In Chernigov Archiv stored documents about Bobrovitsa rabbi’s electing in 1889. It gives interesting details about small Jewish community in the end of XIX century. In that year rabbi became Abraham Getselev Tseitlin, gabay – Mezhirov Berko Mihelev, treasurer – Eliyash Epshtein. In same document  mentioned next Bobrovitsya Jews: Shevel and Moses Volinskie,...

Read More

Narodichi

Posted by on Sep 25, 2013 in Shtetls, Zhytomyr region | 3 comments

  Naroditch (Yiddish), Народичи – Narodichi (Russian), Народичі – Narodychi (Ukrainian) Narodichi is a district center in the Zhytomyr region. It is known from the XV century. In the XVI-XVIII centuries it was in the Ovruch uezd of Kiev province within the Commonwealth, which became a part of the Russian Empire in 1793. In the XIX to early XX century, it was a shtetl in the Ovruch district of Volyn province. My locationGet Directions Beginning The first mention of a Jewish community in Narodichi was in 1683.  In 1875 the chief rabbi of Narodichi was Elia-Leib Juravel (1847 – ? ). The main occupations of the Jewish population in XIX-early XX century were crafts and trade. Jews owned the only pharmacy, the two bakeries, all 9 hotels, a mill and 44 shops in Narodichi. They also owned all 24 grocery shops, all...

Read More